Deer Slug or Buckshot?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Deer Slug or Buckshot?

I bought my girlfriend her first rifle last summer in hopes of her taking her first deer this season. After a few sits in both a rifle blind and my bow blind, she can't get over the adrenaline rush of sitting so close to the deer. I have plans on buying her a bow in the near future, but for this season, looks like majority of her hunting will be done in my ground blind that is only 20 yards to a feeder.

She already has her own 12ga, just wondering what yall would recommend for this situation. It is a un-rifled barrel and would only be a 20 yard shot, 30 yards max.

Slug

Comment

I would go slug over buckshot for sure

Comment

Slugs from smooth bore are pretty accurate actually.

Comment

If she's shaky, I would go with 3" 000 buckshot.

Comment

Why you gotta bring my name up???

Comment

Buckshot, a slug has no advantage over a rifle for the shakes.

3" #4s would do the trick. 3 1/2 #4s is a super nasty load if she doesn't mind getting thumped on the shoulder. If you hit a deer with a solid pattern of buckshot, it's gonna quit!

That was what I did the majority of my hunting with until 16 or so, and I've killed piles of deer with buckshot. That was also before the Yankee retirees got the dog running shut down up here.

Comment

Buck Shot, seeing how she's nervous. I've killed deer with buckshot, no issues at all.

Comment

Rifled slug with at least a modified choke. Improved is even better. Warning.... 12 ga slugs kick like hell!

50 yds and less you are good.

Comment

Ive had very good results with buckshot in the past my dad too.. I prefer it over slugs..

Comment

Originally posted by Razrbk89 View Post
                      Buckshot, a slug has no advantage over a rifle for the shakes.

3" #4s would do the trick. 3 1/2 #4s is a super nasty load if she doesn't mind getting thumped on the shoulder. If you hit a deer with a solid pattern of buckshot, it's gonna quit!

That was what I did the majority of my hunting with until 16 or so, and I've killed piles of deer with buckshot. That was also before the Yankee retirees got the dog running shut down up here.
                      Yep #3 or #4 with a modified or full will do the trick big time. Put that bead at the base of the head and it's lights out. I've killed 250# hogs with #4 like this and under 30yrds it's a super deadly method.
                      Last edited by sharkhunter; 11-25-2015, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Buckshot. She doesn't have to be dead on accurate.

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                          Rifled slug with at least a modified choke. Improved is even better. Warning.... 12 ga slugs kick like hell!

50 yds and less you are good.
                          Haha I know they do, heck, she doesn't mind shooting her 8mm mauser so I don't think it would bother her too much but gonna go take a look at different buck shots this weekend and take her to the range for a bit

Comment

Reduced recoil slugs. Or Remington sluggers work great in most smooth bores. Minimum Mod choke in a 12ga. And I've shot a ton of slugs in my lifetime . Got a few dedicated slug guns. At that distance, a .410 will work too. And it don't have to be Mod or Improved cylinder. I've got a single shot H&R Topper with Full choke, in .410, I'd hunt with any day at 50 yards and less for deer. Just have her focus on lining up the barrel with the target. Especially as big as the 12ga barrel is at that distance. Then the bead. That will make her focus more on the shot. It don't have to be dead on. Just put the target on the end. Then line up the bead on the shoulder. Deer gonna die.

And you'll get a lot less meat bruising than what buck-shot will do.

Comment

I have wrecked a mess of hogs with buckshot. I use to sit with my shotgun in my bow blind and lay out some when big groups of hogs would come in. I would have no problem at all using it on deer at anything less than 50 yards.

Comment

Working...
                              X