No announcement yet.

Why not a winch-up instead of a stand and fill feeder

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm 24 so standing in the truck filling a few feeders is nothing too bad yet. Buddy of mine broke his arm messing with a winch up feeder. He was cranking the feeder down while it still had a bit of corn in it, lost control of the crank and bam! Alcohol MAY or may not have been involved but it could happen to anyone.

Comment

I prefer winch up. I built my own. I don't like the idea of being out in the middle of nowhere, climbing a ladder with 50lbs on my back, with no phone or way of getting help. I've heard too many stories of people falling. I would rather deal with the winch.

Comment

All of mine are winch up. Homemade and work great. Too old and broken to climb up ladders with a sack of feed on my shoulders.

Comment

That is 1 thing we have for sure is a brake winch on our winch-up feeders

Comment

I have been slowly switching mine to winch ups mainly due to my age and safety concerns of falling off a ladder out there when I make sole trips. I still have a couple that I can fill by standing in the back of the Polaris.

Comment

Winch-ups just seem dangerous

Comment

Seems like a no brainer when comparing stand-and-fills to winch-up. One involves cranking and one doesn't.....stand-and-fill wins.

Comment

If you are putting a pen around the feeder then the stand and fill are the only way to go, actually even if you are not putting a pen they would seem to be the best way to go.

Comment

We use winch ups with the friction winches. Good 18volt cordless drill. They hang with weight straight down. Harder to bump feed out of and I ain't as I once was. Filling at ground level is just safer for a guy like me who has back problems, etc.
                    Last edited by courtatlawjudge; 03-11-2015, 08:54 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                      All of mine are winch up. Homemade and work great. Too old and broken to climb up ladders with a sack of feed on my shoulders.
                      A stand and fill, at least the ones I've checked out, cost more than I wanted to spend. I can build a winch up fairly cheap.

Comment

I prefer winch up. One person can fill it easily, much safer, and less likely for coons to get to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                          I prefer winch up. One person can fill it easily, much safer, and less likely for coons to get to it.
                          Since going to winch up feeders I have zero coon problems and don't need a varmint cage.
                          And I don't fill my feeders drunk as one may have eluded to...

Comment

Originally posted by TxAg View Post
                            Winch-ups just seem dangerous
                            As opposed to climbing up a ladder with 40 to 50#'s of feed on your back? What is dangerous about a winch up. If you do not stand directly underneath it, there should be no problem. I have been using them for years and years and have not had a single unit fall or fail.

Comment

My feeder holds 30 bags of corn so I get up there and fill it 2x a year

Comment

I have yet to see a winch up cheaper than any of the leg feeders I have.Climbing a ladder,or standing in the bed of a pickup is no big deal.To each his own.

DJ

Comment

Working...
                                X