Our Best Season Yet. 2021/ 2022

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Our Best Season Yet. 2021/ 2022

I never got around to posting these up, but this past season was full of great memories and awesome trophies.

Here is a recap of our 2021/ 2022 hunting season.

I was only able to get out and hunt once during bow season. Once regular season started I began to focus on my Son Luke. He was ready to get his first deer.

We didn’t have much Luck on our place in Leon County.

During Thanksgiving we loaded up for 9 days to our lease is Scurry/ Fisher counties. That’s when things got serious.

First morning out, I dropped my wife off at 1 blind and I took both kids with me to another. Sure enough, first morning a little after daylight my knocks down a great buck. Her biggest one yet.

Next morning, I went out by myself, while the kids and my wife hunted another stand.

Very slow start to the day, after a few hours I get up and walk to the edge of a canyon and sit and glass for awhile.

After an hour or 2 I get up to move and turn around, 50 yards behind me was a small group of Aoudad. I managed to get the biggest of the group.

On the way back to the buggy I come across a group of piglets, I take one as well.

The next day or so was spent really trying to get my son a deer. He really wanted to shoot a buck, but I really wanted him to shoot a doe first. Get some experience under his belt. We went out a few times, saw deer each time, but had to pass a few deer due to no shot opportunities. Then the next afternoon we were back in the stand. We got out there early. We both took a nap. I woke up at about 3 pm and there was a doe at the feeder. I woke Luke up and told him he can shoot this deer if we get a shot. The deer kept moving and out and after 30 - 40 minutes, he was able to finally get a clean shot off.

He got his first deer! He was so excited, and so was I. He couldn’t hardly wait to get over and find his deer. A short 20 yard tracking job, and he had his doe.

Has was so excited so we loaded the deer up and went and picked up Momma and his sister sitting in another blind a few miles away.

On our way to pick them up, I managed to shoot 2 coyotes running around out there.

We got to Mommas stand and sat there with them till dark. Just before dark a big boar walks out. My wife drops him.

Ok, now my son shot his first deer. My wife shot her biggest buck. It was my turn to get my trophy. I was after Mule deer. We have a few Mule deer that inhabit the northern sections of our ranch, and I have killed 2 in previous seasons, but this year, I was in search of a good one. I hunted several days without seeing a single buck. Kept walking and checking different drainages, and had a few areas where I had spread some corn earlier in the week.

I was out alone one evening checking different spots and went to a spot I had saw a really nice buck the year prior. As soon as I peak over the hill, I see a buck and 4 does about 300 yards away. I immediately could tell this was a shooter mulie.

I couldn’t get a good spot to shoot from, so I snuck it closer. Closed the distance to about 75 yards and found an opening in the cedars.

He popped his head up and looked straight at me. He knew I was there. I raise my gun up onto my shooting sticks and put the cross hairs on the only spot I could get a clean shot. His neck. One shot, he fell over backwards and was dead instantly. This is my biggest mule deer to date.

We were set. We had all killed what we were after on this trip. A few days later, we loaded up and went home.

We would be back in a few weeks for another week long trip between Christmas and New Years.

This next trip was the last deer hunt of the year, and we still had 1 buck we could kill.

I didn’t tell my son, but I was going to let him shoot the buck if we could find one.

Didn’t take long into the trip and we would see bucks every day, but mostly young immature bucks.

After about 3 days we were in the same stand he had killed his doe, and 4 bucks came out. I told him, he was shooting if he wants to. Naturally he jumped at the chance. After an hour of watching the deer move in and out, I finally let him get on the gun and take a shot. Just had to wait to clear a few deer in front of the buck.

He finally gets to shoot. And just like. Few weeks prior, puts a great hit on that buck.

He was even more excited than last time. We go and find his buck.

He finally got his buck. He was happy and so was I. I didn’t even shoot a whitetail at all this season, but that did not matter.

The next evening we are all hunting together again in another blind. My wife is set on a big Aoudad. We just didn’t know if the would come through.

But, luck was on our side and one of the biggest Aoudads I have seen out there comes in. She gets ready and drops this beast.

As we are taking pictures of this Aoudad about 15 pigs come out 30 yards away from us. And my kids are closer to them than me.

I get my gun and move in between them and the pigs when the momma sow pops her head out, just 25 yards from me.

The wind was really blowing that evening so they did not smell or hear us, but as soon as I saw her, I shot her in the head. The rest of the smaller pigs ran off fortunately.

The only other animal on this trip I really wanted to get was a Javelina. Scurry county opened up a season on them a few years prior, I was never able to find them during season. But this year I had seen them a few times and had an idea where to look. Sure enough I found 4 on a pile of corn I put out. I took the large male.

A few hour later they all came back, and my son was able to get a large female as well.

Fast forward to Turkey season. My wife was really wanting to get her first turkey, so we were going to do what we could to find some birds. Also, we would spend some time looking for some sheds. We were able to find about a dozen after walking 10 miles a day…

My son has an eye for these. He found 8 of the 12. Most of them while I was driving. He spotted the nice mule deer shed as well.

I also got a porcupine. We saw 2 this trip.

On the second to last day of this trip we decided to try and fish is the large pond and catch some bull frogs. We drive to the pond and wouldn’t you know it, there were a few turkeys on the opposite side 150 yards away.

I brought the turkey gear with us just in case. The fishing trip changed to getting my wife a turkey.

She grabs the gun, I get the calls. Ever time I would call, they would gobble back. I just couldn’t get them to come to us. They were actually moving away from us slowly. So, we gave chase.

We kept having to deal with cows they would not let us get past them without running around scaring the turkeys even more.

After 20 minutes or so, we finally get between the cows and the turkeys. Now we start to sneak in close. We get with in 40 yards and figure out there are 2 toms and a hen. Maybe that’s why they wouldn’t come in to us. I told my wife to get ready.

The first gobbler was breeding the hen. When he finally got off of her, my wife shot. Smoked him. I immediately take the gun from her and run 5 yards to the right. The second Tom was fired up, he ran over to his fallen buddy and began to whip up on him. That’s when I dropped him.

2 gobblers down. It was pretty epic.

That concludes our 2021/ 2022 hunting season. We all agree it was a big success. Now to get ready for bow season again!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's a lot of great animals, congrats!

You did the whitetail dirty taking its pic by the mulie.

Comment

Congrats to the close of a great season!!

Comment

A few more pics.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Looks like y’all had a lot of fun. Great animals and those kids are having a blast. Congrats and great job mom and dad.

Comment

Looks like a cool place to spend a few days

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

What a great season! Love seeing the family together--well done!

Comment

Awesome critters! Well done MEV Family.

Comment

wow

Comment

Hell of a season. That country is beautiful!

Comment

Heck of a year!

Comment

Heck of a season.

Comment

Great season and even better memories! Congratulations!

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good times!

Comment

Good stuff!!
                              Heck of a season right there. Big congrats to y’all.

Comment

Working...
                              X