truck antifreeze question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

truck antifreeze question

my truck is an 09 .. over the years it's been topped off with fresh antifreeze ..

with forecast around 3 degrees on Monday , am i risking a cracked engine block or radiator failure ?

should i get the antifreeze replaced right away ? would a jiffy lube do a good job ?

yes i'm an amateur mechanic

If it has always been filled with antifreeze and not water then I would not worry about it.

Comment

Why take a chance. Antifreeze change is cheap insurance.

Comment

Get an antifreeze tester and check it.

Comment

i have a jug in the garage .. i could always pull the plug and refill but i think there are issues with that too about getting air in the system and overheating

Comment

I remember here at the shop, and at my dad's house, every year when the first ~20 degree cold snap was forecasted...we broke out the antifreeze tester and checked all the forklifts, trucks, tractors, etc. The ones that had been worked on over the summer sometimes needed extra antifreeze, but I bet we havn't had to add antifreeze to anything since '09-'10. The systems are better, the antifreeze is better, and they don't overheat like they used to, causing us to add water in the summer.

I wouldn't worry about it, we don't even check them anymore.

If you're worried about it, you can get an antifreeze tester at the Vato Zone for 6 bucks.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
              I remember here at the shop, and at my dad's house, every year when the first ~20 degree cold snap was forecasted...we broke out the antifreeze tester and checked all the forklifts, trucks, tractors, etc. The ones that had been worked on over the summer sometimes needed extra antifreeze, but I bet we havn't had to add antifreeze to anything since '09-'10. The systems are better, the antifreeze is better, and they don't overheat like they used to, causing us to add water in the summer.

I wouldn't worry about it, we don't even check them anymore.

If you're worried about it, you can get an antifreeze tester at the Vato Zone for 6 bucks.

This^^^^^ We keep one at the lease to check our vehicles before the season starts. Well worth the 15 minutes of your time and $10 of your money. You'll sleep better.

Comment

Being a 2009 it has seen cold spells before.... and likely a water pump, or other coolant system part has been repaired which required someone to drain and fill the system.

Comment

Your fine.

Comment

Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The "old" antifreeze had to be mixed 50/50 with water to be effective.

Most antifreeze sold today is already 50/50

If what you have been adding is "straight" antifreeze and not already 50/50, it may not be as effective.

Get a tester, it's cheap insurance

Comment

Originally posted by Tubby View Post
                      Someone correct me if I'm wrong...

The "old" antifreeze had to be mixed 50/50 with water to be effective.

Most antifreeze sold today is already 50/50

If what you have been adding is "straight" antifreeze and not already 50/50, it may not be as effective.

Get a tester, it's cheap insurance
                      You are way overthinking it.

Comment

If it’s has antifreeze your good

Comment

Originally posted by imyomama View Post
                          my truck is an 09 .. over the years it's been topped off with fresh antifreeze ..

with forecast around 3 degrees on Monday , am i risking a cracked engine block or radiator failure ?

should i get the antifreeze replaced right away ? would a jiffy lube do a good job ?

yes i'm an amateur mechanic
                          Is it a diesel?

Comment

Buy a tester and check it.

Comment

I nominate this for thread of the year. Had to change the water pump on my truck twice the last couple of years. You know I just drug the water hose over and filled it back up. Bet I wouldn’t have thought about it until I tried to start it Tuesday.

Comment

Working...
                              X