No announcement yet.

Snake ID

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think that snake looks just like the hog nose that was just posted here. How is the pup doing?

Comment

This one is a bit tricky

Comment

First guess was timber rattler, mostly due to not being able to see but about 5 scales at a time.

Comment

No doubt the OP's pic is a hognose.

Just like this one I almost stepped on the other day, different color phase though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
            No doubt the OP's pic is a hognose.

Just like this one I almost stepped on the other day, different color phase though.

The patterns on that ones head and body almost make me think it's a Western Hognose. If it was that thing is huge. Wouldn't be surprised if it would have been a record length for that species.

Comment

Snake left. Scout the JRT certified the backyard snake free.

Comment

Those different phases of hog nose sell for hundreds of dollars at reptile shows. We go to the annual show at the Brazos Expo Center.

Comment

Triangled head equals dead. Sorry.

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    I have a big old monitor and I could only see one inch of the snake at a time.

Try the resize:

[ATTACH]1094863[/ATTACH]
                    Thanks Chew.

That 100%, without a doubt, a hognose

Comment

Hognose

Comment

Absolutely an Eastern Hognose snake... Use the zoom out feature on the browser and you can see the pic clearly zoomed back to about 90%... Round eyes, and that nose curvature up from the bottom to above top... Short stubby like a moccasin juvenile, but it it was that, it'd have a green tail... This one's head is actually partly distended (spread out)... also called a spread n-natter....
                        Dog will be fine...

Comment

Here's a screen shot of just the head...

Click image for larger version

Name:	Spreadnatter.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	87.8 KB
ID:	24687347

Round eyes and NO PITS... cannot be a pit viper... Just a pizz'd off spread n-natter.

Comment

Originally posted by hogslayer78 View Post
                            This one is definitely one of harder ones. Wish we had a better pic of the head. That head looks nothing like a hognose to me but the body coloring does.
                            Unfortunately the snake he posted the picture of is without any question a rattler, you can see the head clearly. Definitely a pit viper. Does not look happy at all.

Well now seeing the smaller picture, I don't know what it is. Still looks very much like a pit viper, but the pattern, does not look like an pit vipers I know of in Texas. Definitely looks thick like a moccasin.
                            Last edited by RifleBowPistol; 07-12-2022, 05:48 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
                              No chance, the head of a HN looks nothing like the one in the pic.
                              I would definitely agree, I really think that's a pit viper. I am reading a bunch of guys saying hognose. I keep looking the whole head over and I keep seeing pit viper. I don't seen any hognose shape to that head. The only thing I can think of is a rare colored moccasin.

Comment

Looks like a hognose to me. But it’s not a very good pic

Comment

Working...
                                X