Victoria area living?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Victoria area living?

Searched the TBH archives but could not find much info on the area. I am considering relocating within Texas (currently live in Del Rio) and would like to hear from you folks that live or have recently lived in the area. Things I am interested in hearing about: medical facilities, eateries, outdoor activities, weather and anything else you would tell a family member that might be considering relocating to the area. And go!

I know the hospital seemed very nice when I took someone about a year ago. It is the major hospital in the area if I’m not mistaken. Outdoors. Fishing plenty of places in less than an hour. Also waterfowl is close. Eateries I can’t help with.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
      I know the hospital seemed very nice when I took someone about a year ago. It is the major hospital in the area if I’m not mistaken. Outdoors. Fishing plenty of places in less than an hour. Also waterfowl is close. Eateries I can’t help with.
      Thank you Señor Glen. How is the fishing down at Rock Port.? Has the wind laid down enough for you to go out and wet some lines?

Comment

Humidity will punch you in the face but you’ll get used to in about 15 years :-)

It’s very close to the gulf , has plenty of restaurants and an Academy ( what more could you ask for?

Comment

Beautiful area. I go to Yorktown a lot and I would consider retiring there. They get a hurricane every now and then.
          Victoria is a very take care of your neighbor kinda place.

Comment

I live in Yoakum, about 40 min north. Nice area. Temps and Humidity can get Stupid Crazy at times. Upside is you are close to the coast, not too far from San Antonio, Golf year round, hunting in the area is good, and cost of living is very affordable.
            I like the town we are in, close to I10 and anything we need.
            Check it out. I bet you will like it.

Comment

I’m in Edna . Bout 20 minutes from Victoria. Lots of good saltwater fishing fairly close . Couple of freshwater lakes with good fishing . Some okay places to eat . Not much night life unless you like bars . Can be some good hunting if you can find a place .

Comment

We live just a few hundred yards from the city limits. I grew up in the Hallettsville area, but have been here over 20 years now.

I am happy with the medical facilities, although for some specialized things you might want to go to SA, Houston, or Austin. But I hate to say that because we do have good surgeons here as well.

While we don't have the eating options of the big cities, we have plenty of Mexican Restaurants and good BBQ. I am not really up on the seafood restaurants as there are a couple that I haven't tried yet. And Corpus is only a little over an hour away.

It is nice being close to the bays, and we fish out of Olivia (between Port Lavaca and Palacios.) I can do with out the Port O'connor, Rockport , etc, crowds. But they are close enough when family wants that.

Feel free to pm me if you have any other questions.

Comment

I'm third generation Rockport and my wife is 7th. We'll likely retire to the Victoria area. Good medical care, all the shopping you need, some good churches, and Riverside Park is nice for golf, disc golf, and the zoo for when the grands are in. Rockport has outgrown us.

Comment

Thanks for all the info fellas… keep it coming!

I figured it would be hot but I plan to be traveling for large portions of the summer heat. I like the sound of the smaller places within close distance to the area… I am not necessary tied to the Victoria area. I will be looking at the areas around Corpus as well.

As far as the night life question, I am done with the club screen honestly. Don’t mind a cold beer or mixed drink here and there but my drinking days are behind me. Looking more to do outdoor type stuff and volunteering with a worthy organization.
                    Last edited by Pedernal; 06-11-2022, 11:42 AM.

Comment

There are some good places like KB's BBQ, Schroeder Hall (the Hall Grill), etc. where you can go have a relaxed meal and a beer.

Comment

Corpus over Victoria? Run Forrest, run!

Comment

My best friend live is Mission Valley- close enough to Victoria to access what you asked about. I can't remember the name of it but there is an exotic hunting place right next to his parent's place. Schrader Hall is close by- one of the oldest dance halls in Texas.

Comment

Originally posted by ACbob View Post
                            Corpus over Victoria? Run Forrest, run!
                            Pros and cons of both? Talk to me…

Comment

Originally posted by Russ79 View Post
                              My best friend live is Mission Valley- close enough to Victoria to access what you asked about. I can't remember the name of it but there is an exotic hunting place right next to his parent's place. Schrader Hall is close by- one of the oldest dance halls in Texas.
                              I lived in Victoria for 13 years. It’s like most have described. It’s has some good doctors, but if you need some advanced medical care, you will need to go to Houston, Austin etc. We only moved because we wanted our kids to go to a smaller school. The Double L is the only ranch that I know of in Mission Valley.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X