Anchor Point Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Anchor Point Help

I’ve missed my last two shots on animals pretty bad and I’ve traced my issue to anchor point while wearing all my cold gear. I’m not getting a consistent and solid anchor. With light gear or just regular shooting I have no issues, but with thicker gloves, face mask and hood I’m thrown off. Aside from practicing with all that on is their anything else I can do to try and maintain my same anchor point as standard shooting?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Only way I know how is to practice how you play.

I don’t and can’t shoot with gloves on, I have never been able to get used to it. Heck I can’t hardly do anything in gloves. A simple solution to get around not using gloves is to invest in one of those handwarmer packet deals that you wear like a belt.

As far as shooting with a mask on, if your anchor point is corner of mouth or as such you could cut a hole for your mouth allowing you to feel better that is if it’s part of your anchor. Personally I use 3 points of anchor so I can’t shoot with a face mask either. If you can’t go without some sort of cover for your skin there is always face paint as well.

Comment

Couple of things that might help:

Kisser button on the string. You should be able to feel it in the corner of your mouth even through a thicker head cover.

Change your foul weather gear. Like D10x said, get a fanny pack style hand warmer and use it. It is super simple to slide around to your back side when it is time to shoot. This will allow you to wear a thinner glove and stay warm. Also a fleece balaclava to cover your head with. You can slide it off your head silently when it is go time. And no longer than it takes for the shot to develop, you shouldnt get too cold.

Another thing to think about that might not be the fault of your clothing, is are you shooting while bending at the waist? When shooting from an elevated position, this is the most common error archers make. You cant just point your arm down for the shot, that will totally mess your anchor point/s up. So keep that in mind and maybe even practice it some before it is time to do work.

Comment

Take glove off.

Comment

Yeah may need to try gloves off! This dang cold hunting through me for some loops. I practice shooting sitting so I’m solid there. But with the mask and gloves getting a good corner of my mouth feel has been the issue. Looks like it’s face paint and hand warmer

Comment

I can not wear gloves , it can easily change the grip. I don’t wear bulky clothes but I do layer. I don’t wear any type of mask that will effect my anchor point! Bow hunting isn’t for the faint of heart

Comment

Crazy part I’ve been 100% bow hunting since 2005 and this year the problem popped up. I did increase the amount of cold weather gear I wear as middle age punched me in the face this year!!!!

Comment

Nose button would help

Comment

I use a kisser button. I also don’t hunt with gloves on either hand nor will I use a face mask. For me accuracy is the main thing. I’m a bowhunting Fool. Lol

Comment

As said above ditch the gloves. I use a hand warmer with a usb rechargeable heater puck in it. I also keep my handheld release in there so its not a frozen piece of steel when I go to shoot. I also tuck the collar of my coat down inside the coat so it doesn't interfere with my anchor. If I do wear a glove, its just a very light one on my bow hand, but I prefer to not even do that as they can easily change your grip. I'm not stalking the Arctic so its practical for me to keep my hands tucked in my hand warmer until something interesting happens.

Comment

I wear one thin glove on my bow hand and the only face mask I wear is a thin buff like you would wear fishing. Practice with both on before season. It's just enough cover to knock the chill off your skin. Hand warmers in the pockets or pouch like the other guys are saying..

Comment

The heaviest glove ill wear are either fingerless wool gloves or something like the sitka fanatic glove. Beyond that, the grip tends to roll in my hand causing torque. I actually drop a handwarmer into the backside of each glove, then put my hands in a handwarmer muff til then.

Another thing that can help is if you can limit the amount of direct contact you have to your aluminum riser. I hate bat grip tape, but I'm running a custom grip on my traverse and on the front of the riser I have one of those limbsaver insulator strips.

Down the sides with exposed riser I added stealth strips, which are fantastic for a lot of things including rest felt.

I also run a kisser button made out of a bunch of serving plus a nose button. The combination of those two has helped a lot.

Comment

Working...
                        X