No announcement yet.

Somerville 21-22

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well we have few places to hunt in Texas and it's close to major populations or at least not too far away for a quick drive

Archery only helps, crossbows add the guys that gun hunt but now found out about this place so bought a crossbow thinking it wouldn't have the hunting pressure as Sam. Disclaimer I have nothing against crossbow hunters and some hunters I know have injuries or limitations, just stating facts of increased pressure in archery only compared to our Canadian friends experience

Another thing, you are supposed to wear orange but I haven't seen another hunter wear orange out there so not always easy to pick off guys from a distance. Some of these hunters set up close to major parking areas and then get upset someone walked by them, yet they are off a major trail or close to front and not wearing orange so not easy to see

I have been lucky in not being walked upon and have only walked upon someone one time. It was last May and parked at yegua spot 5. It was a Monday at noon time and somebody hauled corn to the end of the trail and set up. They got mad because I was walking down the trail to get in the heart of yegua.

Anyways, I have met some cool people that hunt out there by connecting through this page. Good luck and plenty of deer can be killed out there. Saw deer almost every hunt if not every hunt.

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
      Well we have few places to hunt in Texas and it's close to major populations or at least not too far away for a quick drive

Archery only helps, crossbows add the guys that gun hunt but now found out about this place so bought a crossbow thinking it wouldn't have the hunting pressure as Sam. Disclaimer I have nothing against crossbow hunters and some hunters I know have injuries or limitations, just stating facts of increased pressure in archery only compared to our Canadian friends experience

Another thing, you are supposed to wear orange but I haven't seen another hunter wear orange out there so not always easy to pick off guys from a distance. Some of these hunters set up close to major parking areas and then get upset someone walked by them, yet they are off a major trail or close to front and not wearing orange so not easy to see

I have been lucky in not being walked upon and have only walked upon someone one time. It was last May and parked at yegua spot 5. It was a Monday at noon time and somebody hauled corn to the end of the trail and set up. They got mad because I was walking down the trail to get in the heart of yegua.

Anyways, I have met some cool people that hunt out there by connecting through this page. Good luck and plenty of deer can be killed out there. Saw deer almost every hunt if not every hunt.

I agree 100% there will always be the selected few who don’t do the home work and just walk and walk and walk till they see either cameras or tree cleaned out for stand and then set up 100 yrds away claiming oh it’s public land I get it but when you move another 300 yrds away and they come same way once you move it’s more than just bad luck lol after 12 yrs of hunting there the last 7 yrs we’ve been able to get ours does and a few really nice bucks just don’t think the respect and honest people are there any more until last 3 yrs I’ve never had anything stolen and last 2 I’ve had 4 cameras stolen and 2 stands which tell me I’m done with the oil pad side and move on to the next box wherever that may be lol I’ll be out there mid aug like always hope to see yal there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Oil pad side? Parking spot 3 in Yegua with all the duck hunters? That's a good area, sucks that happened to you with theft and people following your setup.

I do my best to avoid areas where I see cameras and other stands. Especially if they look new or being used. Sometimes it's hard to know so many get left out there.

I have been lucky with no theft as i had some cameras 3ft off ground unsecured and i know had to be seen.

I have started to hang my cameras 10ft up using climbing sticks and a python cable but that doesn't prevent theft, just makes it a little harder

There was one situation I had to walk through a guys setup to get to my setup based on wind direction and deer bedding but I didn't hunt that spot if I saw his vehicle parked. I try to have multiple set ups

Good luck next season!

Comment

Originally posted by Beargrasstx View Post
          Oil pad side? Parking spot 3 in Yegua with all the duck hunters? That's a good area, sucks that happened to you with theft and people following your setup.

I do my best to avoid areas where I see cameras and other stands. Especially if they look new or being used. Sometimes it's hard to know so many get left out there.

I have been lucky with no theft as i had some cameras 3ft off ground unsecured and i know had to be seen.

I have started to hang my cameras 10ft up using climbing sticks and a python cable but that doesn't prevent theft, just makes it a little harder

There was one situation I had to walk through a guys setup to get to my setup based on wind direction and deer bedding but I didn't hunt that spot if I saw his vehicle parked. I try to have multiple set ups

Good luck next season!

I feel ya, I have found success going further in than most are willing, but I also saddle hunt which I prefer and no stolen cameras. My first deer of season was public land from ground at 7 yards from a spot and stalk as it crossed an oxbow.

Comment

Working...
          X