Electrician question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by silencer2011 View Post
    Are you wanting an automatic transfer on power loss? I have thought about installing a genset at my own home, but the ones I have been looking at come with an ATS. Maybe you can install a double throw switch on your incoming feeders, that way it you have to throw the switch to "utility" or "generator" but it can never be tied together.
    This is a great idea.. if its possible in residential that's what I want to do then!
    Thanks for all the input guys

Comment

Originally posted by kingranch View Post
      This is a great idea.. if its possible in residential that's what I want to do then!

Thanks for all the input guys

How far off the ground is that panel? It’s gonna be tough to add that switch at the panel there. Easier to put the on-off-on switch at the pole 200’ up the hill.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
        How far off the ground is that panel? It’s gonna be tough to add that switch at the panel there. Easier to put the on-off-on switch at the pole 200’ up the hill.

200' up the hill isn't convenient...
        It wouldn't be that hard.

Comment

Originally posted by Rubi513 View Post
          200' up the hill isn't convenient...

It wouldn't be that hard.

I’m not saying it’s not possible, but how would you legally install it in that location, that “wouldn’t be that hard”.

Please don’t assume sarcasm or smartassery here. Just asking electrician to electrician.

Comment

That up the hill isn't an option
            My propane hookup is right next to house..

It will have to go here.. if they say it cant then eff it I will just tie it into a 50 amp plug here at box and back feed only after walking up and hitting the main up on hill

Comment

Flash, with the main disconnect 200' away, would you have used a panel with a main breaker?
              I would have, just asking.

Comment

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                Flash, with the main disconnect 200' away, would you have used a panel with a main breaker?
                I would have, just asking.

Absolutely separate structure.

Comment

Originally posted by FLASH_OUTDOORS View Post
                  I’m not saying it’s not possible, but how would you legally install it in that location, that “wouldn’t be that hard”.

Please don’t assume sarcasm or smartassery here. Just asking electrician to electrician.

From the picture, one way would be to cut the 2" pvc below the panel and install a wireway. Feed from the wireway into the transfer switch. Out of the ATS and back into the panel. Not real easy but is doable.

Comment

Electrician question

Originally posted by db@100 View Post
                    From the picture, one way would be to cut the 2" pvc below the panel and install a wireway. Feed from the wireway into the transfer switch. Out of the ATS and back into the panel. Not real easy but is doable.

Yeah but you have that other 1 1/4 right next to it. Either way I wouldn’t consider that option doable for the average homeowner.

You would need to be there to do the calculation but there may be a way to move what I am assuming is the disconnect for the condenser down, and then install a 2” nipple in the lower right side ko in the panel and mount the transfer switch to the right of the panel. Disconnect the feeder and pass thru the nipple to the transfer switch. It should be long enough. Use a 2” ko or hole saw and cut a new hole in the top left of new transfer and top right of panel. Install a 2” nipple there and run new wires from the switch to panel.

Edit:

Still a fairly large project for an average homeowner.

Last edited by FLASH_OUTDOORS; 02-26-2021, 06:16 PM.

Comment

I agree, there are several ways that might work but without being there to measure, I don't know for sure. I wouldn't think the average homeowner should attempt this repair.

Comment

I'd look into a manual transfer switch, with no more circuits than you have.

They are available, and might even be a replacement for the panel you have currently.

Another option is to do a DPDT fused switch in front of the panel. That will give you a main, and also be able to switch to a secondary power source (we use them a lot in data centers for PDU's and CRAC's)

Comment

I need more information.
                          Obvious you have a Cutler Hammer main lug 42 circuit panel.
                          What is wire size feeding this panel, guessing 4/0 alum 4 conductor urd
                          Also a better picture standing back away from the panel.. to see how much room you have for clearances.
                          Take off the inner cover.. are there any conduits, cabling exiting the panel out the back.??
                          Looks like you have an AC disconnect in the pic, just cant see enough from that pic.

The label on the door should tell you what if any main breaker may be used with this panel..
                          Options exist.

Comment

Also, are you planning to use a plugin temp generator or is this for a permanent autostart installation?
                            What size of main breaker is at top of the hill.. what size kva xfmer is on the utility pole?

Comment

I did something like this, they make them up to 200 amps. Hook up between grid and main.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Guess I actually answered my own question.. if you are installing an interlock.. then this is a manual transfer switch...
                                You could take the top right breakers, move them down 6 positions.
                                Install a CH2200x breaker in the 2/4/6/8 position
                                Install a CH230 in the10/12 position.
                                Install a CH chml interlock between them..
                                Wire 10g wire from ground, neutral, and the 2pole 30a breaker to a weather proof L14-30p power inlet

You will need to remove panel feed wires from the main lugs and connect them to the CH2200X
                                This is assuming you have a full blown 200amp service for the property..
                                Cutler Hammer makes a CH2125 and a CH2150, 2pole 125 or 150amp breakers.
                                Share a good pic of the label on the front cover.
                                Last edited by Zmaxhunter; 02-26-2021, 08:41 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X