process your own deer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

process your own deer?

If you don’t process your own deer, are you even a real hunter?
    Jk, sort of, but it’s a huge part of conservation. I discovered a new found love, is that normal?

Any tips and tricks to making processing your own deer easier, especially moving silver skin and hair much appreciated. Thanks!

I do and have for a long time. Secret is a sharp knife and patience.

Comment

My tip would be to take it to processor and have them grind it without adding any fat. Then make what you want as far as hunter sticks, sausage, etc. Its the best $90 you can spend.

Half joking half not. I processed my own deer once. I have a lot of respect for those that do it. I find I am way too short on time. I would do it again if it didn't take me as long as it did, thus the tip. I enjoyed just adding the fat and making what I wanted.
      Last edited by ctom87; 01-03-2022, 01:29 AM.

Comment

[QUOTE=ctom87;16023947]My tip would be to take it to processor and have them grind it without adding any fat. Then make what you want as far as hunter sticks, sausage, etc. Its the best $90 you can spend.

I’ve done that my whole time as a hunter... doing it myself seemed so much better especially seeing the original cuts or breaks in muscles... I won’t go back.

Comment

It's work, for sure, but I got screwed by a butcher when I was a teen and never went that route again. I was about 16 and knew what he was telling me wasn't the truth. I like knowing what I'm getting. Still use a hand grinder for the amount I do.

Comment

I enjoy doing it, so I do it. When/If I quit enjoying doing it myself, than I will start taking it to a processor. The de-boning process can be a bit meticulous but luckily I have a job where I can do most of my de-boning at work.

My biggest tip to making the process easier & more enjoyable is to spend the money on a good grinder. I used the cheap ones for a long time, it sucks compared to a good one. I have a LEM Big Bite and I have nothing negative to say about it.

Comment

Order you a couple of these, or a 7" and 9" and keep them sharp. They're cheap and hold an edge pretty good. About the best tip I've got. Fillet knives trump all others for deboning.

Sent from my motorola one 5G UW using Tapatalk

Comment

When it comes to grinders budget as much as you can then wait a month and save another $100 to buy the biggest grinder you can afford. Saves a lot of headache.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've done my own for 50 years. Steak the tenderloins and backstraps. Separate and steak the hams. Scraps and shoulder go to sausage. But at age 69 this year I steaked tenderloins and backstraps and then boned hams and one shoulder and took that to Schotts for fresh link sausage. I'm done with making my own sausage. Too much work for an old man.

Comment

If it’s not going in the grinder, leave the silver skin on and then remove when you go to cook it. I used to sit and trim every piece of silver skin and it would take a while. I quit that and just started packing if it that way and trimming before I cooked it. Shaves off a bit of time.

Another tip, do a quarter a night. Breaks it up a little at a time so you aren’t having to sit there for 4 or 5 hours straight.

Comment

How exactly is processing the deer yourself vs paying someone else to do it a “huge part of conservation?”

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
                        How exactly is processing the deer yourself vs paying someone else to do it a “huge part of conservation?”
                        Following

Comment

Sharp knife- good grinder. Doug and I took one from the field to hamburger and bagged in just a little over an hour from the time the firing pin dropped. It ain’t hard or complicated if I can do it

And it is conservation- of $$$. I’m cheap. I’ve save probably $10k-$15k on processing easy. I’ve done about 4 elk, 2 nilgai, a buffalo, a couple big exotics when my killed culled for a ranch, probably 20-30 axis and at least that many sika, and I don’t know him many deer and hogs. May total bill for knives, grinder, bags, etc is about $1k
                          Last edited by glen; 01-03-2022, 08:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                            Sharp knife- good grinder. Doug and I took one from the field to hamburger and bagged in just a little over an hour from the time the firing pin dropped. It ain’t hard or complicated if I can do it

And it is conservation- of $$$. I’m cheap. I’ve save probably $10k-$15k on processing easy. I’ve done about 4 elk, 2 nilgai, a buffalo, a couple big exotics when my killed culled for a ranch, probably 20-30 axis and at least that many sika, and I don’t know him many deer and hogs. May total bill for knives, grinder, bags, etc is about $1k

It definitely saves money. I’ve been processing my own for 40 years. I’m a cheapskate.

Comment

I lied. I got a chambered vac sealer a few years ago and a few 1000 bags so my total bill is about $1700

Comment

Working...
                              X