Frio river flow

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Frio river flow

What is it looking like? I monitor the flow rate on some websites and it is up from last year, but looking for actual reports from people that have been there or maybe some pictures.
    I went last year and it was super slow, lots of walking.
    Heading back on the 19th. Hopefully the water is still up......

Headed up the 23rd. Water usually stops on the ranch we stay outside of Concan. Pics from last weekend show it going under the fm road out of the ranch. Last year it very low, should be up considerably this trip with good flow

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Saturday I floated the Frio at Happy Hollow. The flow was great. I have floated the same stretch for about the last 4 years. This year's flow was by far the best for floating. 1.5 to 2 hour float took 1 hour.
      Last edited by simek; 06-07-2021, 01:21 PM.

Comment

I was at the house pasture Saturday. It has water flowing, but the friends of mine that floated still had to walk in areas from the second crossing Neal's

Comment

Floated happy hollow 2 hours ago. Didn’t walk 1 time. Tomorrow we are hitting up the longer floats.

Comment

Originally posted by simek View Post
            Saturday I floated the Frio at Happy Hollow. The flow was great. I have floated the same stretch for about the last 4 years. This year's flow was by far the best for floating. 1.5 to 2 hour float took 1 hour.
            Exactly!

Comment

Latest reading is 70 cubic feet per second. It was up to 89 a couple days ago. 100 is a real nice float in my opinion. A couple times in the last few years when we were there it was in the 30’s which is no good. We will be there starting the 11th

Comment

Flow in Leakey has slowed from 2 days ago. It’s better than last year but still nowhere near where it needs to be for me to float. So we are posted up in a shallow pool. I hate walking.

Comment

Last year we tried to float at a flow of around 15 CFS - it was miserable. I just sat in the river the rest of the trip. Hopefully it stays around 70 until the 19th.

Comment

What is everyone’s favorite stretch to float? We did happy hollow twice today. Gonna do a different area tomorrow or Wednesday. I’ve only done 7 Bluffs to Frio Country once and it was low water/flow and NO fun several years ago. We have 3 families with kids from 7-15 years old. Thanks Coach

Comment

We are here now. We have floated the last 3 days from 7 bluffs to frio country and I have not had to get out of my tube a single time. Now in the deep spots if the wind is strong you gotta paddle some, or be fortunate like me to have an 11 year old who likes to pull us.

Comment

Originally posted by ColinR View Post
                        We are here now. We have floated the last 3 days from 7 bluffs to frio country and I have not had to get out of my tube a single time. Now in the deep spots if the wind is strong you gotta paddle some, or be fortunate like me to have an 11 year old who likes to pull us.
                        How long was that float?

Comment

Originally posted by coachmas View Post
                          What is everyone’s favorite stretch to float? We did happy hollow twice today. Gonna do a different area tomorrow or Wednesday. I’ve only done 7 Bluffs to Frio Country once and it was low water/flow and NO fun several years ago. We have 3 families with kids from 7-15 years old. Thanks Coach
                          When the water is right (70 cfs+) we like to do from 1120 - 1050 (start where Happy Hollow drops you off and keep going past Happy Hollow to the 1050 bridge) there's some beautiful stops along the way with several chutes the kids will do over and over. The kicker is at 1050, you have to haul all your gear up the steep bank and have a vehicle parked or someone picking you up. You used to be able to drive all the way down but idiots were accessing the river and driving in it with their trucks so they shut it down. The last stretch is slow and you may have to walk, but that doesn't bother me; the scenery and stretch of water along the way make it worth it. I used to love the stretches between Magers Crossing to Riverview (back when you could exit there) and seven Bluffs to Neal's, but now it's like The Guadalupe and Mardi Gras on Bourbon St with all the dumbarses thinking the whole river a half-mile in both directions needs to hear the music coming out of your radio cooler with 4, 6x9's a subwoofer and 1000 watt amp.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                            When the water is right (70 cfs+) we like to do from 1120 - 1050 (start where Happy Hollow drops you off and keep going past Happy Hollow to the 1050 bridge) there's some beautiful stops along the way with several chutes the kids will do over and over. The kicker is at 1050, you have to haul all your gear up the steep bank and have a vehicle parked or someone picking you up. You used to be able to drive all the way down but idiots were accessing the river and driving in it with their trucks so they shut it down. The last stretch is slow and you may have to walk, but that doesn't bother me; the scenery and stretch of water along the way make it worth it. I used to love the stretches between Magers Crossing to Riverview (back when you could exit there) and seven Bluffs to Neal's, but now it's like The Guadalupe and Mardi Gras on Bourbon St with all the dumbarses thinking the whole river a half-mile in both directions needs to hear the music coming out of your radio cooler with 4, 6x9's a subwoofer and 1000 watt amp.
                            Thanks!!

Comment

Originally posted by coachmas View Post
                              How long was that float?

Right around 3 hours. If the river goes down much from whatever the flow was yesterday there will be a couple spots you gotta walk depending on how big, heavy, you are. I was dragging in a couple spots yesterday but still made it thru. My wife and son made it no problem.

I agree with what sackett said about the floats from 7 bluffs to frio country and frio country to Niels. It gets pretty crazy on the weekends, we just make sure we are in the river by 11 and have never had a problem. During the week, like yesterday we didn’t start floating till 1 and it was still nice.

Comment

Working...
                              X