It was an eventful morning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It was an eventful morning

Well this morning turned out to be one to remember!

I started off to the stand a little later than normal. To this stand, it didn’t take 10 minutes total from the cabin. I got in about 6:20 and shooting light was about 6:40 or so. I drove the Polaris about 300-400 yards from the stand and walked in.

I was all settled in and waiting by 6:25. Well about 6:40 I heard two pops about 20 seconds apart. About 5 minutes later it sounded like some **** fireworks went off for 20 seconds real close. I looked back from the tripod and saw some tall flames! I didn’t know what the hell was going on so I grabbed my rifle and hurried my *** out of the tripod. I was 200 yards from my Polaris when I finally saw the flames again and saw that it was BLAZING.

By the way, it’s a 2013 Polaris Sportsman 500 for sale....hottest four wheeler in town.

I walk the rest of the way to the cabin and grab a 5 gallon jug of water and drive back in my pickup for the 1% chance the fire did start to get out of control a little bit. Well I sit there ****** off for about 45 minutes. I finally decide to get off my *** and go back to the tripod to get my hunting bag. I figured with all the ruckus I made, that spot was done for the morning and my plan was to ease on up to another stand. Well I’m walking up the trail about 50 yards from the stand... I see a buck cross the trail on the opposite side of my stand about 100 yards from me.

At this point I was not sure how big he was or what he was as I had got only a glimpse. I creeped on up the trail and he was at the feeder by the time I made it up there. I stepped on one little twig that cracked. That buck wanted to have a staring contest for a minute and I had already determined he wasn’t going to win it with the morning I already had.

He went back to eating corn as I grabbed a tripod leg and rested the .260 on my arm. He looked up momentarily again then turned broadside and went back to eating corn. I let her rip, taterchip. He kicked and took off. He made it 50 yards before I heard him thrashing in some brush. I went back to the cabin to have a few beers and wait on someone to come back with a four wheeler (its somewhat funny now) so I could haul his *** out.

He’s no bruiser by any means but he’ll eat. He had been at my feeder one day in bow season until this past week. He had been in there 4-5 different times in 7 days. I hunted a different stand close to mine and knew immediately which buck it was as his brow tines curve in before going up (can’t really see it in the picture). I thought he was going to be a little bigger based on the game camera but he’s still pretty decent to me. Especially not seeing a legal buck at all until him today. He’s 17.5” wide.

The “fireworks” I heard turned out to be a box of 100 .223 rounds in the front compartment of my Polaris that I had forgot about.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Dang ,I guess in the end it was somewhat alright. Maybe. LOL!
    Sorry to hear about the Polaris.

Comment

Definitely a morning to remember!

Comment

Wow

Comment

Dang man that’s a roller coaster of a day for sure.

Comment

Yeah, I doubt you ever forget this day

Comment

What caused your Polaris to burst into flames?

Comment

Yeah that’s pretty wild morning lol ! Glad everything turned out alright other then the Ranger .

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                  Dang ,I guess in the end it was somewhat alright. Maybe. LOL!
                  Sorry to hear about the Polaris.
                  Yessir. It definitely took out part of the sting from my ATV burning up.

Originally posted by lovetohunt View Post
                  What caused your Polaris to burst into flames?
                  Not a single clue. I’ve been out here since Friday at noon driving it at least every morning and every evening. Probably put 3-4 miles on it total.

I let it idle for about 3 minutes this morning before I gathered up my ****. Drove about 600 yards and parked it before walking in.

Comment

Sounds like you made the best of that deal, true hunter.

Comment

That is a crazy morning

Hope you had the UTV insured and glad it didn't set the world on fire

Comment

Glad you wasn't on the Polaris!! But its a nice buck for sure.

Comment

Holy "smokes" !! That is crazy stuff. Congrats on making the best out of a crappy situation. Congrats on the deer !!

Comment

I'm curious....would your home owners insurance pay for the replacement of your 4 wheeler?

The deer is awesome, but MAN I hate to see that Polaris burned up, as it really takes away from the prize on the ground.

Good luck sir, and I wish you the best!

Comment

That's crazy!! Least you got a consolation prize out of the deal lol.

Comment

Working...
                              X