Shoulder pain and asking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shoulder pain and asking for advice

I took a fall in Jan. 2021 on soft ground onto the point of the elbow. At contact I felt something pop and had some pain. Fast forward to March 2022...I had my annual physical and told my doctor of the ongoing pain. He took X-Rays and said it wasn’t a torn rotator but rather damaged tendons, gave me a shot of steroids and referred me to a physical therapist for 15 treatments. After 13 treatments my shoulder felt great and I could shoot my 45# recurved with no pain. Now the problem. I was working on my tractor about 10 days ago and while straining to remove a 3/4” nut, I felt a pop again with a severe pain. Afterward I was diagnosed with a torn upper bicep tendon.

So after rambling, can anyone tell me if this pain will subside and if so how long to heal?

Thanks for any response.
    Last edited by splitfinger; 07-01-2022, 02:31 PM. Reason: Revision

You need an MRI to diagnose a torn tendon, or rotator cuff injury. But if you fell on it it could be a torn labrum, which is very common with falls. 6-12 weeks depending on how severe but without MRI you will not know the exact issue.

Comment

Not personal experience, but my brother tore his bicep doing the exact same thing while working on a water valve. I guess maybe 6 months or so ago. Doesn’t really bother him now.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Did the doc talk to you about therapy?

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
          Did the doc talk to you about therapy?
          I was almost complete with therapy when the bicep tendon tore. Definitely not a torn rotator per the Doctor and Physical Therapist. I guess the Bicep tendon was hanging by a thread when it tore loose. I can’t get into the Dr. for another couple of weeks. Right now I can’t shoot a 45 pound Recurve and I’m just hoping it will heal enough by October.

Comment

You most likely need surgery ASAP. A couple weeks won't cut it if they need to reattach the tendon to the bone. Clear your calendar and get to a doctor.

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
              You most likely need surgery ASAP. A couple weeks won't cut it if they need to reattach the tendon to the bone. Clear your calendar and get to a doctor.

Agreed^^^^^

The longer you wait on a torn tendon, the less chance there is of it getting reattached properly!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Trumpkin View Post
                Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Agreed^^^^^

The longer you wait on a torn tendon, the less chance there is of it getting reattached properly!

Bisch

I agree with these folks ^^^^. I would stop shooting the bow and find a doctor as fast as possible.

Comment

Coworker of mine tore his bicep at the gym 2 years ago, required surgery but he bad back to 100% after about 9 months after the injury. I had a similar scare months ago, after my MRI my doctor just confirmed I’m getting old and nothing permanently damaged just strained. Sounds like surgery is likely in your situation, best of luck and speedy recovery.

Comment

Is the bicep tendon a full thickness tear or a partial thickness tear?
                    Partial thickness you may be able to heal in 8 to 12 weeks. If you're over 45 years old you may want to have your testosterone levels checked. I had partial thickness tears in my rotator cuff two years straight. After starting replacement therapy I've had no problems since. I healed in half the time the second tear because I started TRT early during therapy and recovery.
                    YMMV
                    As for the pain, ain't but a thing. As for immediate surgery, mine was a complete tear off and they repaired it weeks after it occurred. And reattached the labrum, separated my A/C joint from my clavical (calcium bone spur growth) and ground out bone spurs in the shoulder joint.
                    Find a great orthopedic with a great physical therapy center and do what your told.

Sent from my moto g play (2021) using Tapatalk
                    Last edited by DRT; 07-01-2022, 05:35 PM.

Comment

I’m having the MRI done in a few minutes to see if they can repair it. Thanks for all the great advice.

Comment

Use a dang cheater bar next time and get surgery.

The main surgery trauma will be where they reattch and insert the anchor…somewhere in the shoulder.

Several years ago I tore my lower bicep from the forearm. A titanium anchor was inserted into the bone and tendon stitched up.

I feel for your searing pain. Youll be good to go after surgery and rehab.

Good luck MrSplitfinger.

Comment

Any update Doug???

Bisch

Comment

Joint pain is not to be taken likely and is typically not something you can just "walk off." (This, told to me by my orthopedic surgeon.)

Get yourself to an orthopedic doc who specializes in shoulders, perhaps even one whose focus is sports medicine. He/she will tell you what type of imaging you need and how it is best treated.

Comment

Had the MRI yesterday and both the rotator and bicep tendons are torn. Scheduling surgery ASAP.

Comment

Working...
                              X