Ford Super Duty- Body Bushing Replacement

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ford Super Duty- Body Bushing Replacement

I went day stars first in my 2011, made the truck ride terrible and picked up a noise when cornering over bumps. I was so convinced It was a front end issue I took it to a shop where they looked at it up and down and gave it back with a nothings wrong report.
    I then replaced those daystars with factory mounts and the front end noise / terrible riding truck returned to its natural self.
    So yes I did this job twice in the driveway within a few months.

That truck has since went to trade in heaven.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Comment

I had mine done. Make sure you don't spin the cage bolts. I had Extreme Off-road do mine. Do not take your truck there unless you want grease all over your seats, wiring harnesses dangling, abs issues, and every headlight burnt out. And when you point it out to them, they say nah it was like that...

All out off-road is where I would go next. Reasonable price for the work.

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
        I had mine done. Make sure you don't spin the cage bolts. I had Extreme Off-road do mine. Do not take your truck there unless you want grease all over your seats, wiring harnesses dangling, abs issues, and every headlight burnt out. And when you point it out to them, they say nah it was like that...

All out off-road is where I would go next. Reasonable price for the work.

What type of bushing did you use? How does it ride and any noises?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Just finished installing the S&B on my ‘12 F250. Started out slow trying to do one at a time on passenger side but by the time I got to the third I got the hang of it and did the whole driver side by loosening and removing all bolts then jacking whole side up then putting new mounts in then lowering and tightening all of them. Wish I would have known that short cut when I first started. Really thankful I bought the breaker bar pictured for this job. Didn’t use any heat and just went slow and steady with the breaker bar and it did the trick. Got my arm workout for the day! Most of my mounts were shot. After the test drive it’s a night and day difference. Had a lot of rattling and bottoming out type feeling on bumps and that’s all gone. Did all this with a 2’ 4x4 and a bottle jack(truck has 4” lift). And now my body lines match again! All in I spent about 3 1/2 hrs on the swap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Are the S&B's hard polyurethane type material or foamy like stock?

Comment

Tagged. Pretty sure mine needs it.

Comment

I did mine. I went with the polyurethane. They're probably a little stiffer than new oem's but way better than the wore out oem's!
                I wish I woulda spent the extra money and went with silicone.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

I popped for the SB on my 11. Was gonna do myself then my off-road shop offered to do it for $300. That was a no brainer. PIA but definitely doable at home. Heard not so good about the poly cheapos. Not some to wanna mess with again.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                    I did mine. I went with the polyurethane. They're probably a little stiffer than new oem's but way better than the wore out oem's!
                    I wish I woulda spent the extra money and went with silicone.

Me too. Really not that bad of a job. Heat all bolts before trying to loosen. Do not use impact. This one you your gonna have to use your muscles. I have a shop with a few jacks so picking the cab up was easy.

Comment

Can you guys describe what you were feeling or hearing that indicated the bushings were toast?? I have a 2002, F-250, 7.3 and have a significant rattle and bottoming out sensation when I go over mild bumps. I thought it was the shocks, but all rubber is intact on shocks. I thought ball joints as well. What type of shop should I look for to have these inspected and/or replaced. Thanks OP for bringing this up.

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                        Can you guys describe what you were feeling or hearing that indicated the bushings were toast?? I have a 2002, F-250, 7.3 and have a significant rattle and bottoming out sensation when I go over mild bumps. I thought it was the shocks, but all rubber is intact on shocks. I thought ball joints as well. What type of shop should I look for to have these inspected and/or replaced. Thanks OP for bringing this up.
                        That bottom out, metal to metal sound is your cab bushings most likely. I thought mine was the tailgate at first but it was the cab bushings. I actually kept checking the springs and the axle because it felt like the rear end was falling out.

Last edited by rolylane6; 02-08-2022, 09:30 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockley View Post
                          Tagged. Pretty sure mine needs it.
                          You would definitely know!

Comment

Originally posted by Lee230 View Post
                            You can check them yourself easily! Look at your truck from the side where your cab and bed meet. If your cab is lower you need new bushings! Most suspected will be the rear’s just inside the corners of the cab which can easily be viewed.

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                              That bottom out, metal to metal sound is your cab bushings most likely. I thought mine was the tailgate at first but it was the cab bushings. I actually kept checking the springs and the axle because it felt like the rear end was falling out.

Lol- I did the same, it drove me crazy for about a week !

Comment

Thanks guys.

Comment

Working...
                                X