Texas Tuna Safaris

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Texas Tuna Safaris

Went on a trip with Dolphin Express. All you guys going to Venice and not catching a tuna should look into this. I’ve been on 5 or 6 trips and always catch at least 2 and that was just once. This trip I had horrible time with fish and had 14 hooked and landed 3. None were monsters but 50#-80# fish For the 3 I caught. I lost one in the screws after I had it up that would have been north of 125#. Biggest fish brought in was 141#. If you guys do go treat the crew well. The guys bust their tails, go without sleep, and do everything they can to help you catch fish including bringing tackle- Tip them well and shake their hands. They love to fish but it is also how they pay their bills
    Last edited by glen; 11-08-2021, 08:32 AM.

Picture at end of trip. Matt and I. Matt has worked several trips I’ve been on and a great guy with a lot of knowledge
    Attached Files

Comment

I hate TBH doesn't put that trip together anymore! I always said I was going to go on one and now that I can they don't do them anymore! Boo! Awesome trip BTW!

Comment

Well, lets put one together. I know another forum where they do this regularly. I haven't fished with Dolphin Docks but since Captain James is no longer at Deep Sea I'm open to it.

It's late for this year unless we want to try drifting for wahoo in January. But I'm hunting Arizona then so that won't work for me. I'm up for next October/November.

Awesome trip. Congrats on the fish. I think I have one 80lb fish in me. But three or four 40lb ones would work well.

Comment

Curious - was this an overnight trip?

Comment

Originally posted by Slew View Post
            I hate TBH doesn't put that trip together anymore! I always said I was going to go on one and now that I can they don't do them anymore! Boo! Awesome trip BTW!
            TBH didn't put it together - I started it and put it together.

And we still fish together as a group - the group got bigger.

2021 - This was an offseason - Back on track 2022

Glen - Ya'll had some seriously big fish blow thru at one period - when you got spooled on it's first run.

If one hits - there are several in that class on feed.

We had that happen before - same night - a fish in that 30 - 40 over 100 class was decked (130 class)?

I had one on that trip blow up and miss my bird, that was in the 150 plus class - on an MXL Raptor 2 - speed - not classed for that fish.

I was glad it missed.

And the trip where we all sat and stared with our mouths open, when Doug said, each jumping tuna sounds like someone was tossing refrigerators off of the oil platform, 80ft above the water (FULL fridge dropped free fall onto the Gulf).

That night, not one but dozens showed, all chasing and leaping out of the water, after flying fish. Water boiled stared at a distance at times - tuna blowing up with so many in the air, some two or three at the same time, on one single fleeing flying fish.

JURRASIC EXPERIENCE
            Last edited by AtTheWall; 11-08-2021, 12:14 PM.

Comment

I will get two dates locked up for next year. I’ll go talk to them next week. I was thinking early a November and a trip December after Christmas or for the New Years. I’ll post up and get it put together and take deposits. Will be first 13 to send me a deposit. I’ll pay for the boat now and reserve it. I think we had 3 fish go over 100# on this trip. I’m guessing my 3 were in the 60#-70# range. We did horrible catching fish. We were landing one for every 7-8 hooked up on. Lots of tackle floating around out there today.

Comment

Even this old weak azz poor excuse for a fisherman catches tuna with that outfit. They are a great experience.

Comment

Originally posted by glen View Post
                  I will get two dates locked up for next year. I’ll go talk to them next week. I was thinking early a November and a trip December after Christmas or for the New Years. I’ll post up and get it put together and take deposits. Will be first 13 to send me a deposit. I’ll pay for the boat now and reserve it. I think we had 3 fish go over 100# on this trip. I’m guessing my 3 were in the 60#-70# range. We did horrible catching fish. We were landing one for every 7-8 hooked up on. Lots of tackle floating around out there today.
                  I'll send my son as his graduation gift from A&M. Let me know how much to send you and how to get it to you.

Comment

A premier Pelagic Gamefish - they can and will - test your body and mind as the battle flat out - KICKS YOUR ARSE!

Comment

I have nothing right now in November or December of next year! I’ll send a couple deposits out now if there’s a date! Looks like the 16 person $980 trip is the one to go on from y’all stories!!

Comment

They won’t be booking those trips for a couple weeks. I’ll go check in about two weeks. I’ll rent the entire boat for a couple trips. We will pay cash and cut price some.

Comment

We had a trip of 5 off Venice a few weeks about with MG**. 42’ boat, all the bells and whistles. On the first hook up, two guys traded off on the reel, seems like they couldn’t make any headway. The tuna just kept taking line, 30 minutes later we can see the fish. Then he straightens the hook enough for the fish to get off, losing an 80#er. To me it looked like the drag was not on. When I finally got on one, I fought hard for 20 minutes, determined to put this one in the boat. I asked the captain to tighten the drag and he responded as if I shot a hole in the boat. I was really upset with this outfit and I have fished with them several times before, but not again. My tuna was the only one we landed, lost 4 others…I think all related to the drag. Rant over, chose wisely in Venice.

Comment

Nice haul! Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by SaintBlaise View Post
                              We had a trip of 5 off Venice a few weeks about with MG**. 42’ boat, all the bells and whistles. On the first hook up, two guys traded off on the reel, seems like they couldn’t make any headway. The tuna just kept taking line, 30 minutes later we can see the fish. Then he straightens the hook enough for the fish to get off, losing an 80#er. To me it looked like the drag was not on. When I finally got on one, I fought hard for 20 minutes, determined to put this one in the boat. I asked the captain to tighten the drag and he responded as if I shot a hole in the boat. I was really upset with this outfit and I have fished with them several times before, but not again. My tuna was the only one we landed, lost 4 others…I think all related to the drag. Rant over, chose wisely in Venice.
                              They do not like clients adjusting the drag. But when a return customer, who has demonstrated they know what there doing, a captain should at least test the drag. Specially if there hitting close.

Comment

Working...
                              X