Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by hopedale View Post
    OP,

Sorry if this high jacks this thread, but since you've posted. I've been curious if anyone knows of information on prepper shows.

Does anyone have info on a Preppers show, like a gun show, where you can see whatis available to be self-sufficient?
    No problem at all. if there is such a thing as a prepper or a homesteading show i'd probably want to go. decent chance there'd be guns there anyway haha.

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
    Be cautious with any prepper shows on TV. Most of them crank up the drama and theater to make the ratings better. A LARGE majority of prepper items are also what is commonly used with homesteaders. Things like canning, freeze driers, hand utensils and tools, gardening, and such as that. Also, be cautious with doomsday preppers. They are the ones who are convinced the world is going to end tomorrow, so they have a different mindset and path of prepping. I’m a prepper who is prepared for the power to go out because it happens pretty frequently with big storms. My preparedness has made big events like the snowpocolypse more of a minor inconvenience. So, I want to help as many people as I can to be prepared as well. That is my calling in life.
    this is really the event i'd like to prepare for. maybe the power won't go out entirely but i think they're going to push the price of energy so high that we'll need to scale back as much as possible to survive economically. ultimately i'd like to be at a point where if the power did go out for whatever reason it would have little to no impact on our living standards.

these days i'm working towards water capture and purification and off grid power generation so i can at least run the deep freezer.

Comment

Originally posted by 91cavgt View Post
      I wish I knew what the odds were but I just don’t know.

Bicycles are a great backup form of transportation. When I was a LOT younger I rode in a 50 mile bicycle race. Finished the first 25 miles in an hour and a half. Took 2 and a half hours to finish the last 25 miles! I’m in horrible shape now but could easily do 15-20 miles in a day with plenty of rest stops.
      I've done multiple 100+ mile bike events.
      If I had to leave Dallas on bike, and thought I was somehow going to survive on what I was carrying on bike, I would probably just shoot myself right then.
      Unless you lived on the outskirts, dodging a mob of 12 million, on a bike, with a pack, would be like Russian Roulette.
      It's been mentioned, but you better know somebody, have extra gas, and be ready to go immediately, or you're going to be in a apocalyptic scenario, if you live in a metroplex.
      Also as mentioned, if you live in the country, start felling trees across the roads.
      File down the dogs, and start slinging chips cuz your life may depend on it.
      Blocking the roads has been used all over the world, and it works.

Comment

Here's a web site you can gleen articles from:
        An online resource for survival information. From wilderness and urban survival to emergency preparedness and off grid living, we provide you with the knowledge you need to survive in any situation.

Tons and tons of articles. I could spend 2 weeks on this site.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
          Fema has stated that a nation wide EMP would cause a 90% death rate in one year.
          Numbers go down fast when people turn to eating other people.

If any of the end of world scenarios happen, the world is going to be way more scary than it is now.

J

Comment

Originally posted by JhuntsAlot View Post
            Numbers go down fast when people turn to eating other people.

If any of the end of world scenarios happen, the world is going to be way more scary than it is now.
            Could we move this thread to the Recipe section?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Could we move this thread to the Recipe section?

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                To get an idea of how that type of situation would unfold, check out the novel One Second After. Everyone looks at a SHTF moment from their immediate perspective and yes, that will be the first thing you deal with but most don’t look beyond their immediate circle. Survival goes to a whole new level when everyone throughout the community, city, state and nation starts looking for food, water and supplies. We all think that we are hunters and can live off the land and most of us may be able to but how many people live around you? When hundreds if not thousands are hunting the same area the game runs out pretty fast. With no medicine people will be dropping like flies for the simplest ailments. The big picture is scary for sure.
                A good example of how I’ll prepared most people are was demonstrated during the freeze. One little natural event and people were paralyzed. I knew people that couldn’t even start a fire in their own fireplace.
                Seriously, read that book. It’s an eye opener.
                Really makes you think....good book...

Comment

If anyone wants or needs advice on prepping or where to start, send me a PM and I will gladly answer any questions or help guide you. It is never too late to start preparing. I don’t have all the answers, but I have made my fair share of mistakes over the years.

Comment

Here’s my collection. Need to start printing useful stuff online and throwing it in binders. I’ve read some of all of these, but all of none. They are useful though even now.

Comment

Originally posted by Laketex View Post
                      Here’s my collection. Need to start printing useful stuff online and throwing it in binders. I’ve read some of all of these, but all of none. They are useful though even now.

I love those Foxfires. I have all of them.

Comment

I've never read one...why are they called Foxfire? Super expensive, I'm guessing?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                          I've never read one...why are they called Foxfire? Super expensive, I'm guessing?
                          Named after a phosphorescent lichen in the Appalacians.

You can buy a new set for close to $250. I bought all of mine used - primarily off of Abe Books.

Based on some of the content that I have seen you post about, these are right down your alley. You would do yourself a disservice to not check them out.

Everything that is covered in the books is done so by the old mountain men and women. Very fascinating.

Comment

Originally posted by bobc View Post
                            Named after a phosphorescent lichen in the Appalacians.

You can buy a new set for close to $250. I bought all of mine used - primarily off of Abe Books.

Based on some of the content that I have seen you post about, these are right down your alley. You would do yourself a disservice to not check them out.

Everything that is covered in the books is done so by the old mountain men and women. Very fascinating.
                            Thanks. I've actually potentially found a free download for my Kindle app. Trying to see if it works now

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff

Comment

Another good series would be Days of Want by T. L. Payne. Reading them reminds you of human nature and like everyone else states get out of major cities. Its based upon several EMPs taking out the entire electrical grid and the fallout afterwards. The author goes into how FEMA has figured that 60% of the population wouldn't make it 6 months. One of the main things I got from it is that you will need a small tight community to survive. You might be an independent prepper preparing for your family but can you guard your supplies while gardening and hunting.

Comment

heck yeah, all great info yall. i'm definitely going to check out those resources.

does anyone have any experience foraging or know anyone that does? or recommend any reading material on the topic? i just found out a few weeks ago that a plant i've been treating as a weed that grows all over the place around here actually produces an edible fruit. it's called a ground cherry and they look like little tomatillos until they ripen.

Originally posted by Laketex View Post
                                thank you sir, i'll look into these.

Comment

Working...
                                X