Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thoughts on buying salvage titled vehicles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thoughts on buying salvage titled vehicles?

Gents -

just want to get some ideas of how much a vehicle is de-valued once its is given a salvage title?

is it just worth nothing or does the reason it was "totaled" play any factor in it?

Basically getting that the vehicle is worth nothing at this point from dealerships (that was expected) but haven't tested the private market at this time

Let me know if any of you have dealt with this type of thing before, not something me or mine are familiar with

thanks
    Jake

If you are trying to sell one, private market is best option.

Comment

i've had a couple. they're fine if you know who did the work or saw it before it was cleaned if it was a flood.
      expect problems and you won't be disappointed. especially if it's a flood vehicle

some insurance companies will give you "full" coverage but only with a predetermined agreed lower value. like below trade or something. i cant remember exactly what it was

banks don't like to finance because of the diminished value and difficulty in getting "full" coverage. it's best if you can pay cash

lot's of cars on facebook marketplace say rebuilt title.

if i found a deal of a deal on a newer F250 i would consider it again if it had everything i wanted

i actually bought several of my own vehicles back from wrecks or thefts from insurance companies.

travel trailers sometimes are a deal with a salvage title if they weren't deep flooded or an easy repair wreck or hail. but i just want one to leave parked at fish or deer camp

sorry for the rambling. i was just typing as it came to me
      Last edited by W E H; 03-04-2022, 01:11 PM.

Comment

I bought a camper that had a salvaged title. My new title came in and wasnt salvaged... I didnt complain.

Comment

Bought a F250 years ago that was rolled. They replaced all the body panels and cab and never had a problem with it.

Comment

50% value, and most lenders will NOT finance. That makes selling much more difficult.

Comment

A rebuilt salvage title really hurts the value if you ever trade it in to a dealer. Private market, not as much. My daily driver is a 4runner with a rebuilt title that I found on craigslist. You just have to know what you're looking at when you buy it. You won't always know who did the work on it. Personally, I wouldn't buy a flood vehicle but crash damage or theft damage wouldn't bother me too much. I wouldn't buy one as my primary family vehicle, but as a beater daily driver or a tow rig cash purchase they are fine.

Comment

Pay your trusted automotive technician, to throughly check the vehicle out. Enjoy the savings.

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk

Comment

I should have been more clear up front, my wife currently owns the salvage titled vehicle.

She was rear ended last April by an AC van and the insurance wanted to total it because of the damages + miles on the vehicle.

We had the frame checked out, and it was straight. Just needed about $9k in new parts and body work so we did a buy back from the insurance company because we weren’t going to get enough to replace a paid off 3/4 ton truck

We just got her a new 3/4 ton so we don’t need this current one, so I am looking for a little info on how to go about selling it/value it

I do appreciate the info so far, I see private sale is the way to go. Just need to figure out what it’s worth and someone that we can explain what happened that doesn’t mind a salvage title.

Also, if I ever see that fella that rear ended her I reckon I’ll wipe the pavement with his face. She was just sitting at a red light and his text message was more important than her safety or the value of our vehicle. Infuriating to think about again!

Comment

My son drives a rebuilt title car, due to a prior accident. It's been a good car. Had to switch insurance companies, though. Allstate wouldn't insure it at all.

Comment

Get value on the front end because little exists when you sell it.

Comment

Working...
                      X