Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sam Houston tree stand.

Hey gentlemen,

I’m hoping to do my first public land hunting this year in Sam Houston but I’m a total novice when it comes to deer stands. Only hunting I’ve ever gotten to do was out of towers on private land.

What should I be looking for? My neighbor uses a climber but I’m something of a fatbody (6’ 225lb) so I’m thinking climbing sticks might be better for me.

Money is also an issue, not rolling in cash so this”ll be an investment for me. Is there a place to look for used equipment that’s better than others?

Thanks for any advice.

I’ve done a fair amount of public land hunting and if you leave anything in there like a lock on or climbing sticks some one else will hunt it and steal it. I’m a little on the large side ov average 6 ft 235 I have a couple climbers.The most comfortable and stable is the Big boy from academy.I can carry it in and out or hide it in some heavy brush.

Comment

My plan is to set up night before and camp a little ways away from my spot, mostly because of the theft possibility. I’ve been scouting some pretty remote areas on the west side of 45 and found 2 that seem like a decent possibility. Still trying to pin down the legalities of the areas I found. One has a “payment unit” sign about a quarter mile from it and I haven’t figured out what that means yet.

Comment

I’ve been bigger than you all my life and I hunted out of climbers for years. Their downside is that they are noisy, but just get up in your tree long before daylight and you’ll be ine. I agree not to leave anything on public.

Comment

You can only camp in designated campgrounds. Bring your climber in and hide it. I also chain mine to a tree near the tree I'm using.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgunner11 View Post
            My plan is to set up night before and camp a little ways away from my spot, mostly because of the theft possibility. I’ve been scouting some pretty remote areas on the west side of 45 and found 2 that seem like a decent possibility. Still trying to pin down the legalities of the areas I found. One has a “payment unit” sign about a quarter mile from it and I haven’t figured out what that means yet.
            Payment unit means that the the timber in that area is getting ready to get harvested. Camping only in designated areas during deer season the Equestrian primitive campsite is the closest to 45. I been hunting the Forest for 17 years and have a high success rate, you just have to learn to read the forest.
            Contact me if you are interested in joining me on a scouting trip in the next few months.

Comment

Originally posted by Shotgunner11 View Post
              Hey gentlemen,

I’m hoping to do my first public land hunting this year in Sam Houston but I’m a total novice when it comes to deer stands. Only hunting I’ve ever gotten to do was out of towers on private land.

What should I be looking for? My neighbor uses a climber but I’m something of a fatbody (6’ 225lb) so I’m thinking climbing sticks might be better for me.

Money is also an issue, not rolling in cash so this”ll be an investment for me. Is there a place to look for used equipment that’s better than others?

Thanks for any advice.
              6ft 4 here at 250 pounds. Not a fat boy. I climb with my HAWK Warbird zero issues. Even on private land I get it out once a year for the fun of it.

Comment

****, holes being shot in my plan already. Forgot about the no camping during hunting season thing. Totally makes sense though.

Ok, so I’m looking for a climber. Thanks for the input guys.

Buck-Chaser, I’ll totally take you up on that, any advice I can get is appreciated, this is all new to me.

Comment

Climber won’t be an issue. I’m 6’5 and 250. Hunted out of one when I was almost 300lbs and didn’t have any issues. Make sure you use a harness.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bayouboy View Post
                    Thanks, that’s within shooting distance of my budget.

Comment

Bigger than you and the larger summit options have been fine for me over the years in SHNF. Brother in law is larger and has a Summit Titan I think and it holds him fine but he has grown uncomfortable with it.

Use the safety lines and look into a better harness than the base grade that comes with the stand if even just for some comfort.

Comment

You'll be fine with a climber!

Comment

Climbing sticks are nice, but a climber is going to be a much faster set up in my opinion. I’m sure there are people out there that can pull one together real fast, but once you use the climber a few times you’ll be able to get up a tree pretty quick. Climber, 40’ of paracord, couple of screw in hangers for bag, bow and binos.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Once you decide on a stand invest in a really good safety harness and lifeline. You will be set.

Comment

Working...
                            X