Pinto beans?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pinto beans?

Stopped at the Hard 8 yesterday in Stephenville and had lunch. They had pinto beans and they were the best I have had in a long time.

Any good recipes out there for pinto beans.

Bolner’s fiesta brand pinto bean seasoning as directed
    Can of Rotel
    Sliced smoked sausage
    Cook as directed on seasoning package

Served over Mexican cornbread and garnished with pico de gallo.

Comment

bag of pintos
      about 2 cups chicken broth (enough to cover the beans by an inch or so)
      Fiesta brand pinto season(3Tbsp)
      Minced garlic (1 tsp)
      ham bone or ham hock

......don't laugh
      Put all this in an Instant Pot
      90 minute pressure cook. Natural pressure release

My whole life of cooking beans has been the regular ol in a pot on the stove.
      A friend showed me this last year and I haven't cooked beans on the stove since.
      The flavor is outstanding

Comment

My mom taught me that if you want to eliminate most of the gas producing starch in the bean to start out by soaking them for at least a few hours first. You will then rinse, fill a pot and boil until they are getting soft, then drain again and start with new water/chicken stock. I love the instant pot method as it is really quick, but beans out of the bag will ruin my week. I add bacon, a pico mix, chicken stock, and mexican seasonings and cilantro at the very end.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Stewart View Post
          Stopped at the Hard 8 yesterday in Stephenville and had lunch. They had pinto beans and they were the best I have had in a long time.

Any good recipes out there for pinto beans.
          They must be really good. My daughter in law went by there a while back and got 2 quarts of their beans to-go and they charged her over 40+ bucks. ***. My son was not happy when he found out. All she had to do was say no thank you and walk out. I`m not a fan of Hard 8 anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
            bag of pintos
            Minced garlic (1 tsp)
            ham bone or ham hock

......don't laugh

A friend showed me this last year and I haven't cooked beans on the stove since.
            Going to give this a go this weekend. Thanks!

Comment

Soak two pound package pinto beans 12 hours overnight-(remove rocks)

In a big pot add:

Two whole diced onions (they will cook down to nothing)
              ham hock

Fill up pot with two inches of water over the top of beans. Heat on high until boiling, then cut heat to low for 8-10 hours

After first four hours (halfway through) add 5-6 tablespoons of ketchup, 2 tablespoons of paprika, 1 teaspoon of salt, and 2 teaspoons of coarse black pepper

After 6 hours, add 3-4 tablespoons of brown sugar, stir in while boiling and add any link sausage desired.

I need to cook some of these again.

Comment

PM me your email address and I will send you my write up with mine

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                  My mom taught me that if you want to eliminate most of the gas producing starch in the bean to start out by soaking them for at least a few hours first. You will then rinse, fill a pot and boil until they are getting soft, then drain again and start with new water/chicken stock. I love the instant pot method as it is really quick, but beans out of the bag will ruin my week. I add bacon, a pico mix, chicken stock, and mexican seasonings and cilantro at the very end.
                  Or just change the Pinto beans to Anasazi beans and don’t worry about it.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post

I soak and also add 1/4 tsp of baking soda per lb. Knocked it way back!

Comment

Basic Brown Beans

2 lb bag pinto beans (or navy beans, cannelloni beans, etc.)
                      1-2 sweet or white onions, chopped (I prefer sweet onions, they caramelize better)
                      1 ham bone (leftover from bone-in ham)
                      OR
                      Leftover smoked brisket (scraps and burnt ends) and leftover smoked sausage
                      1/4 cup white wine or 2 tablespoons brandy (optional, but I use it)
                      Salt (to taste)
                      Black pepper (to taste)
                      White pepper (to taste)

Other flavor enhancers that I've used, all are optional:
                      MSG
                      chicken or beef bouillonn (I use Better than Bouillon)
                      Brewer's yeast (dissolve in water first or use liquid brewer's yeast)
                      Marmite
                      Maggi Sauce (see Note at end)

Pick through the beans and remove any small rocks that you find.

Place beans in a large stock pot with enough water to cover the beans by about 4". Set pot on stove over a high flame and bring to a boil. After the pot reaches a good rolling boil, turn off the flame, cover the pot, and let it stand for one hour. This is in lieu of having to soak the beans overnight. (Alternatively, place beans in pot of water the night before and let them soak overnight, at least 8 hours.)

Remove beans from soaking water, discard water (i.e., pour into a collander). In the same stock pot, sauté chopped onion until it begins to caramelize and develop a fond on the bottom of the pot. (I like deep caramelization and a lot of fond. Rule of thumb: brown = flavor!) Add a pinch of salt to the onions as they're sautéing; not only does the salt enhance the flavor, it also helps speed up the caramelization process and helps inhibit burning. Note: If using white onions, add a pinch of sugar while sautéing, along with the salt; it helps the caramelization process. (sweet onions to do not need any added sugar).

Now for the meat scraps: If I'm serving the beans alongside smoked meats, I use my leftover BBQ scraps for seasoning. Most other times, I use a leftover ham bone. If I'm making white beans, I always season with the ham bone.

Add your meat scraps, whichever one you are using, to the stock pot. Give them a few minutes to sear and contribute to the fond on the bottom of the pot. Be careful not to let the onions burn! After a minute or two, add the wine or brandy (turn off flame before adding brandy...it's highly flammable) and deglaze the bottom of the pot.

Return the beans to the stock pot add enough water to cover beans by about 2". Set over a low flame and cook until beans reach your preferred tenderness (several hours). Stir the pot, occasionally, to transfer the beans from the top to the bottom to ensure even cooking. You may have to add more water as the beans cook (I seem to always have to).

Begin adding salt and pepper, a little at a time, until you reach your desired preference. If preferred, about half-way through the cooking process, add any one of the above listed flavor enhancers according to taste. These are "power house" flavor enhancers; use sparingly, a little at a time.

When beans are done, remove ham bones (your large bone will have disintegrated into smaller articles) from pot, place on a cutting board and remove any meat left clinging to the bones. Chop meat into preferred size and return to pot.

Notes about flavor enhancers:

MSG: the most commonly used flavor enhancer in the U.S. And, no, you're not going to die from it.

Bouillon: I love chicken/beef bouillon. My favorite is Better than Bouillon...no other commercial bouillon beats it. It probably has MSG in it.

Brewer's yeast: a glutamic flavor enhancer similar to MSG except that it's natural rather than chemical. It's a PIA to use. Not my favorite, but it does taste good.

Marmite: a glutamic brewer's yeast derivative that I tend to prefer more with beef (stews, soups, pot roast, etc.).

Maggi Sauce: I love this stuff (I use the French version, Maggi Arome Saveur Depuis 1889, which I get on Amazon). Here's an article that helps explain it. https://www.thespruceeats.com/maggi-...erland-1446943

From this base recipe, you can branch out into more complex beans such as Ranchero beans, Frijoles a la Char, refried beans, cassoulet, etc.)
                      Last edited by ThisLadyHunts; 05-05-2023, 09:13 AM.

Comment

2lbs pinto beans
                        3/4lb bacon (diced ends and pieces)
                        1tbs granulated garlic
                        1tbs black pepper
                        1tbs salt
                        1 Onion diced

Comment

Originally posted by Jaybo31 View Post
                          bag of pintos
                          Minced garlic (1 tsp)
                          ham bone or ham hock

......don't laugh

We are on propane where we live and sometimes it would take 4-5 hours to try to get the beans soft enough. I use my electric pressure cooker and it works great like you said!

To OP just put in what you like- I use a can of rotel, garlic powder, onion power, Tony’s, ketchup to thicken broth. Sometimes we use cilantro and fresh jalapeños, chili powder, beef or chicken broth. It just depends what we want them as ie- Cajun with sausage eat with rice, original with big hunks of ham and eat with cornbread, Spanish with cilantro, jalepenos, chorizo etc. So many ways to make them and they are all great! I will never boil a pot of beans again! The pressure cooker is super fast and ready to go in one hour.

Comment

Soak beans with salt at least 8-12 hours. Use the same water you soaked the beans in and add 1 chopped onion, pepper, 1/2 cup picante sauce and a couple of slices of bacon. When beans are done if you want thicker juice shread in a potatoe.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                              Soak beans with salt at least 8-12 hours. Use the same water you soaked the beans in and add 1 chopped onion, pepper, 1/2 cup picante sauce and a couple of slices of bacon. When beans are done if you want thicker juice shread in a potatoe.
                              Hmm...the potato as a thickener is an interesting twist. I think I'll give it a try!

Comment

Working...
                              X