No announcement yet.

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the different saddle options out there, I’d see if you could try one in person before buying.

Standing with my legs locked all day has played hell on my knees, and I get the concept of “hunting THE tree” but if you have a serious leaner of a tree you get the plumb bob effect. There are some trees where sticking out from a saddle vs a stand still favors a treestand. And if you use your stand as the pack frame, weight is a wash with the newer stands.

I’ve actually gone the other direction now and I’m running a LWCG .5 with a Dryad Harness. I can pull out the drey that way if I wanna hunt hybrid style, and at least that way I can sit after a while.

Comment

I started saddle hunting last year. Phantom setup. Started with the XOP mini sticks, but then bought the Skeletors. I run aiders on the first two sticks only. Aiders are tricky, but I don't mind them so much close to the ground. I don't wish to teeter with aiders once I've got some good height from the ground, especially in the dark. It's very compact. I was able to go deep into thicket, set up, and smashed a brute the following morning. Just dive into it. Pick a tree in your yard and set up a single climbing stick and a base, and practice swinging around in the saddle. You'll learn quickly how to move around, and learn the adjustments you prefer as you do. You can always sell it, but it's pretty unique and breaks the monotony of all the ways you already hunt. It's fun to add an option to the arsenal. Go all in, you won't regret it.

Sent from my SM-G715A using Tapatalk

Comment

Check out the saddlebunting vids by Chris Bee. Good vids

Comment

Originally posted by The Cajun View Post
          I've been hunting out of saddle and nothing else for the past two years. I hunt public land and put in roughly 40-50 days a year. Back before my saddle I was limited to how I could hunt an area because when I found a good spot there was no tree to climb and/or to put a good lock on in. Now when I walk into that same area I have multiple trees to hunt if not almost every tree. Sometimes I hunt 6 feet up and sometimes I hunt 20 feet up. Just depends if I'm in the big woods or the thick crp. Obviously the big woods people can hunt better because of the big oaks to climb. However, those same people could never hunt the thick crp for many reasons such as they may find a decent tree but the stand wont fit in the tree due to all the limbs or the tree is to skinny. With the saddle I can get up in those Branchy trees and have plenty of room and shooting options.

Last year I shot a buck in a certain type of crp that I call chicken trees that are basically 20 foot tall skinny trees pretty close together with not much under growth. I shot a buck at 8 yards only 6 feet off the ground.

I find that you have a better chance of not being spotted because you essentially look like a tree limb coming off the tree rather than a stand sticking out that is abnormal to them. Also when you do have a deer that's circling you or coming in from behind you, in a lock on or a stand you typically have to move a lot to turn and look at the deer. In the saddle you just kind of sway to the side and boom you're on them.

It's the best stand you can have in my opinion and anyone I know that tries it has a hard time going back to anything else. Shooting directions are limitless, you will have way more options to hunt a specific area, deer think your a limb coming off and won't bat an eye at you, it's safe, it's comfortable, easy to walk in with, and its compact.

For the older crowd, I believe you put just as much effort as a climber if not less. I personally don't use the lineman rope, but for those who do I would think it would make setting up the sticks easier.

My suggested set up:

Saddle
          Muddy Pro Sticks (or anything with the rope lock set up) this makes it easier to hang sticks.
          Put an aider on the first stick so that you can put the first stick higher (basically acts as having two sticks)
          Use your platform as the final stick to get you higher.
          Hunt with suspender type pants so that your back is not exposed while hanging
          Great post - thank you! A few questions… given I’m in the Canyon Lake area, I have big Live Oaks & Cedar… nothing that screams “easy for a stand”, so saddles have always appealed to me. Great to see you hunt successfully even 6ft up.

Question for public land, for hunts like one I’m going on in the Lower Rio Grande, where it’s tall and thick, any help from a saddle? Given we’re not allowed to “alter wildlife”, are saddle effective if we can’t clear branches, etc ?

Thanks in advance!

Comment

I brought my saddle to LANWR and I couldn’t have found a tree to hang from. I’m sure there are some but not anywhere that I experienced.

As to the muddy pro sticks, they’re on sale at several places currently. This is the cheapest I’ve seen them. If you wanted to try one sticking, you could keep one and sell the other 3 and still probably come out ahead if the price jumps back up.

I replaced the folding steps and standoffs with ones from Eastern Woods outdoors. Of course, I added my own aider, replaced the rope with longer 8mm static rope so I could hunt larger trees. 3 of these with double diy aiders gets me about 18feet.

They come at 2.5lbs each, bare. The folding step weighs like 14 ounces each!

Comment

Finding a comfortable saddle is important and spending time in it to fine tune. It's not near as comfy as my summit but I'm carrying about 15 pounds less with saddle and platform. I use either one stick method or woodpecker bit with carbon rods. Saddles are great for setting up on hot sign which is key to success on public land. I'm using an cruzr xc this year and it's most comfy saddle I've found but I've only had an aero kestrel and tethrd mantis. Mantis is fairly comfortable kestrel . The mesh saddles are key for avoiding swamp crotch here in TX .

Sent from my SM-G781U using Tapatalk

Comment

anyone have a recommendation for a ring of steps that you like?

Comment

Ros

Originally posted by Phorizt View Post
                  This year gonna use wild edge steps (3-4) around the tree.

Comment

I did not read all of the responses but will give my experience. I have hunted out of a saddle for 5 years or so. I killed 4 deer out of it the first year in East texas, which is no small feat. It opens up some possibilities. However, it has some limitations as well. You just have to give it a go and see how it works for you. This season i will be going with a hybrid approach. Small lightweight treestand, but also wearing saddle as my harness. Gives me the best of both worlds. Can sit if i want or fold seat up, face tree, and lean into saddle.

My biggest complaint with the saddle is probably that I tended to get into awkward positions with deer close and it is almost impossible to reposition in some scenarios. It is simpler when you have more room to stand up and turn which ever way. It seems real simple in your head and it works fine until it doesn't.

Comment

I have a set I will never use. If you want them, pm me

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                        I have a set I will never use. If you want them, pm me

I appreciate it but I actually ordered a few steps and strap this afternoon.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I've been saddle hunting for about 4 years. I use mine in the national forest as well as rocksprings and Brady.. you can get in some pretty crooked oaks with a saddle.. best thing you can do is buy a good set of knee pads. It's a game changer being able to rest against the tree .

Comment

I went to the lease to do a trial run and test out my entire saddle setup for the first time tonight. Mainly wanted to practice hunting before a public land hunt coming up in a couple of weeks but plan on hunting out of it on Saturday morning.

it was kind of a disaster lol but glad I did it. Really gonna have to work on figuring out how to keep everything organized, quiet and accessible without having to make 8 trips up and down the tree just to get set up.

Comment

I went to the lease to do a trial run and test out my entire saddle setup for the first time tonight. Mainly wanted to practice hunting before a public land hunt coming up in a couple of weeks but plan on hunting out of it on Saturday morning.

it was kind of a disaster lol but glad I did it. Really gonna have to work on figuring out how to keep everything organized, quiet and accessible without having to make 8 trips up and down the tree just to get set up.

There’s a lotta options but I made paracord loops on either side of my saddle so one stick goes on either side.

Attached to my saddle I have a Doyle’s gear hoist but it’s not necessary but it is convenient. I hook my bow to that.

Other side gets a figure 8 style handle from genesis 3d printing that I attach my pack to.

As I go up the tree, I just pull sticks out and attach. Depends which platform I’m using but I usually have it in my pack, in which case I wear the pack up the tree. Same goes if I’m using a stand.

That way it’s only one trip up the tree! Saves a lotta time. I also recommend ascenders over prusik knots for lineman’s belt/tethers just for convenience!

Comment

Originally posted by Kirby86 View Post
                                There’s a lotta options but I made paracord loops on either side of my saddle so one stick goes on either side.

Attached to my saddle I have a Doyle’s gear hoist but it’s not necessary but it is convenient. I hook my bow to that.

Other side gets a figure 8 style handle from genesis 3d printing that I attach my pack to.

As I go up the tree, I just pull sticks out and attach. Depends which platform I’m using but I usually have it in my pack, in which case I wear the pack up the tree. Same goes if I’m using a stand.

That way it’s only one trip up the tree! Saves a lotta time. I also recommend ascenders over prusik knots for lineman’s belt/tethers just for convenience!

I went home last night and started watching more Youtube videos and already have and order put together for a couple of things from Genesis after seeing someone talk about it on one video so good to hear someone else using their stuff.

Also I ordered a Doyle's hoist last week but already returned it. It seemed way too big for my liking. So I ordered another manual type of hoist but don't like that either. Now I'm trying a small Crappie fishing reel that I'm going to modify to hang on my saddle and use instead. It will still be manual but much smaller and compact at least. We'll see how it works.

and after last night trying to do 2 things at once and adjusting prusik knots one handed I'm definitely in the market for an ascender. I think I'll have to get the Kong Duck due to the 8mm tether based on what I understand so far.

Comment

Working...
                                X