No announcement yet.

Cured smoked backstrap

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Why not run them to 120-130, instead of 160?

Seems 160 dries them out too much, or is that what you are going for, a dry meat texture?

Comment

Nicely done! Looks incredible!

Comment

Originally posted by junior View Post
        could ya cut back on the amount of tender quick, or does it have to be a 50/50 blend? If doing 2 backstraps, how much of the tender quick and sugar does it take?

I’m not sure about cutting it back. The Tender Quick is what draws out the moisture which you want.
        I did 6 backstraps and used a cup of each. Just mix enough to fully coat each piece and you’ll be good.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Cured smoked backstrap

Originally posted by Greenheadless View Post
          Why not run them to 120-130, instead of 160?

Seems 160 dries them out too much, or is that what you are going for, a dry meat texture?

You’re curing and smoking them, not grilling them. Lol
          It should have a “ham” texture. And it’s still plenty moist.

Comment

If I can’t find tender cure, can I use another type of salt for the curing process?

Comment

If I can’t find tender cure, can I use another type of salt for the curing process?

I’m really not sure. But if you can’t find it in the store, you can order off of Amazon

Comment

Man, those look amazing. Makes me wish I was better at hunting...Thanks for sharing!

Comment

I couldn't find any either except on line. I found a brown sugar cure on the internet and did some with that stuff. On one I coated with sulfer free molasses and course gring pepper. Came out really good

Comment

cure

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                    I couldn't find any either except on line. I found a brown sugar cure on the internet and did some with that stuff. On one I coated with sulfer free molasses and course gring pepper. Came out really good
                    Thanks I found it online, problem is I already thawed out the backstraps

Comment

I found this at Bass Pro in Round Rock. Meat is curing now
                      They have several different flavors
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6455.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.6 KB
ID:	24708858

Comment

I found it! This is an awesome recipe! Had a sample of RobinHood's strap at Bownanza. Some of the best I've ever had!

Comment

Originally posted by Texas Grown View Post
                          I found it! This is an awesome recipe! Had a sample of RobinHood's strap at Bownanza. Some of the best I've ever had!

Thanks, Mike!
                          I’ll never chicken fry another one after learning this method.

Comment

Working...
                          X