No announcement yet.

Pop up Campers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

**Edit.. I should have read the original post better.. As far as leaving at a camp, once closed up you can lock the box so it can't be opened. That in mind there is very little space for any gear to stay inside the box once closed up. I would get reflectix for the bunk end windows, and the bunk end covers to help insulate. (Pic 3)

I love mine. Pulled it to NM and only noticed 1 to 2 mph drop in mpg.

I would recommend one with a small trailer up front for coolers and misc gear. Truck bed fills up quick and there's NO room inside the box once clasped.

Hunted New Mexico with mine had winds up to 30 mph. Don't recommend keep it open with 30+ mph winds. We had to strap it done to keep from rocking. Got a little sketchy. No problems with rain or snow during or after the storm thou.

Also would recommend POP UP Gizmo's bunk covers. They custom make them to fit your model. They reflect heat and keep bunk end cool during the day. Also helps 10x during the cold.

Mine has a slide out for the kitchen table that double as another full size bed.

I would recommend them to any one who doesn't mind the work, and likes to go long distances.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by CrownKiller14; 09-30-2022, 09:05 AM.

Comment

Now that ^ is a sweet rig

Comment

Holy smoke! That had to cost as much as a hard shell!

Comment

Originally posted by SFZack View Post
          Now that ^ is a sweet rig
          Yeah that is the Taj Majal of pop up, mine was more section 8 housing

Comment

Originally posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
            Yeah that is the Taj Majal of pop up, mine was more section 8 housing
            Lol!

Comment

Originally posted by Hogmauler View Post
              Holy smoke! That had to cost as much as a hard shell!

Found it used on FB. 13k. Only thing I'll buy new is a gun or bow.

Comment

We used one for years up here for everything from camping to elk hunting.
                We had a local tent and awning shop make us an extra room that slides into the awning bracket, it has an aluminum frame. We put a wood stove in it for heat in winter.
                Have to say, shoveling snow off the top so it won't collapse was not fun.

We put a big blue tarp over it because it came form Texas and did not have canvas sides, they were a breathable material. It did have a radiant heater , propane.

I prefer a wall tent now.
                Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by WItoTX View Post
                  I had one. One of those off road ones with the rack on the front for a 4wheeler. Loved it, and I should have never sold it, but we went bigger thanks to adding two members to our family.

I will buy another one. Yes they are waterproof. Our's had AC and heat, and both worked well, but on cold days, the heater was always going, on hot days, AC was always blowing, and it was noisy. It would have been an epic elk hunting rig. Like I said, I never should have sold it.
                  My cousin has one like this and it's legit. I wouldn't mind downsizing to one for our Elk trips instead of my big one that likes to eat tires between Dalhart and Clayton

Comment

We started with one years ago. Transitioned to a hard side tongue pull then to a 5th wheel. Sold the 5th wheel since the kids have moved on to college and are looking at going back to a popup, hi lo or trailmanor- something that will fit in the garage. We enjoyed our time in the popup, but are leaning toward a hi lo or trailmanor due to them being hard side as well as being a pop up style.

Comment

I have an Aliner Classic and it makes a good camp.

Comment

Hi-lo and trail manor. Will look into those

Comment

Originally posted by 14JKURX View Post
                          I have an Aliner Classic and it makes a good camp.
                          I believe im getting one of these one day.

Comment

Aliner even sounds expensive! My son wants to buy a tent and leave it up all season.

Comment

We had a 10-foot-box pop up for a few years and loved it. We didn't use it like you're intending, but a few learnings:
                              • Keep it as closed and covered as possible when not in use. We stored ours in our garage, and that's the ideal situation. If you have the ability to store and use it under some sort of hard awning, that would be ideal.
                              • Try to find shade and wind blocks where you set it up
                              • Use Pop Up Gizmos on the bunk ends - makes a huge difference in cooling and heating
                              • If there aren't stabilizers on all 4 corners, add them. Ours only had jacks in the back, so we used a Single Stabilizer on the front ours and it made a huge difference in movement of the camper

As others have mentioned, there are probably better options for a more "permanent" base camper, but a pop up would be a viable option if you treat it right.

Last edited by goofiefoot; 09-30-2022, 10:21 AM.

Comment

i had a pop up years ago that went to NM and Co quite a bit-it had A/C on the roof-it worked great for those trips. I took it to the deer lease one year-spent some time hunting axis and hogs in the off season-never again. In the Texas heat, it just can't keep up to stay cool with those canvas sides-it was miserably hot.
                                I ended up upgrading to an 18' aluminum / fiberglass rv. These days I'm utilizing a cargo trailer that I converted to an Rv with insulation and a/c and heat on the roof for my hunting and fishing trips. This has worked out great cause I can use it at the deer lease, short term hunting and fishing trips I do in state and out of state. Its cheaper to haul and easy to just hitch and go. I've done quite a few bird hunts out of state or in matador with it-dogs like it too!
                                I have a ramp on the back where I can load my atv in it when Ia elk hunt in the mountains. I would think this might be easier to sell when you part with it too.

Comment

Working...
                                X