Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 08-19-2021, 12:01 PM   #1
brunner
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Lavaca/Comal County
Default Anyone Rent Their Camper? RVShare?

Curious to see if there is anyone on the green screen that uses the RVshare platform or uses any other type of marketing/rental platform to rent their camper?

If so, are you happy with any of those online rental platforms and how has the experience been renting your camper?

TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
brunner is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 01:19 PM   #2
MisterSanders
Ten Point

Hunt In: Chambers, Bandera, Batson, Sonora

My cousin rents his. I guess I could put you in touch.
MisterSanders is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 01:42 PM   #3
RS3
Ten Point

Beetleguy does. Maybe he will chime in soon.
RS3 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 01:46 PM   #4
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

I have a friend that does. He said he's only had one bad experience out of about 10 rentals. Apparently it wasn't bad enough to stop him from doing it because he bought his second RV.
Hoggslayer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 02:02 PM   #5
Hometown Ag
Spike

A couple of guys I work with rent their campers. Apparently they are booked up for at least 6 months. It sounds like the majority of renters will come pick them up from my coworker and haul them wherever they are going themselves. Not sure how the liability/insurance works with that but it sounds like he is covered in case of a wreck or anything like that. Overall it sounds like a pretty decent gig.
Hometown Ag is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 02:05 PM   #6
jer_james
Pope & Young

I had a friend that rented his out. Now he has 4, lol.

Seems to work pretty well if done right. I can see how he gets his out.
jer_james is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 03:28 PM   #7
brunner
Associate Sponsor

Great info.

I would only want it a handful of times a year and if it makes a little money then great lol

RVShare I believe handles lost everything as far as liability and what not

Old 08-19-2021, 03:34 PM   #8
texansfan
Banned!!!

Hunt In: South Texas

I rented a RV from rvshare this summer
Lot of the same ones on rvshare arek. That other RV site as well
But the fees are different

My rental was smooth sailing
Didn't need rvshare to intervene for anything
texansfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 03:38 PM   #9
Muygrande
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

We rented one through outdoorsy.com last year and it worked great. Guy that rented it to us was really happy with how everything worked.
Muygrande is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 04:46 PM   #10
friscopaint
Ten Point

We rented one when our brides quarters was being remodeled for a wedding, Nice 5th wheel and I preferred it over the bride or grooms quarters. Guy delivered and set up, only problem was his ad said it had a generator and it didn't and I didn't have time to add a plug so ran and bought a generator which I wanted anyway. He delivered, set up and picked up and made $400 I think, had him dump gray water in pasture.
friscopaint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 04:48 PM   #11
Brown County Man
Eight Point

My boss is renting one in a few weeks from Outdoorsy. They are doing an motorcoach. They get 200 (free) miles a day and then a fee on top of that. Outdoorsy requires them to purchase insurance through them. Seems like a reasonable deal for them.
Brown County Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 04:59 PM   #12
roughneck266
Ten Point

Hunt In: Apple Springs

I rented a Class C for a week from a nice old guy in Waxahachie. Drove it all the way to Phoenix and back to bring my wife back to Texas. Was a new experience for me and her as well. All in all it was very easy (obviously this is from a renter's perspective)
The guy we rented from was a retired preacher, and he said that RV share had been a godsend to he and his wife, and more than paid the note on the RV.
roughneck266 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 08:17 PM   #13
perow
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Moran

I have been considering renting out my bumper pull when not using it but as much stuff as we keep in it not sure it’s worth emptying/loading back up every time
perow is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 08:27 PM   #14
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Good question OP, I have same questions. Thanks to all who posted good information.
3ChordTruth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 08:42 PM   #15
sbushee
Ten Point

Hunt In: The Outside

I rent campers on RV share. Have used it many times. I rent from one guy about three times a year. He’s close to my lease and the camper is nice. Guy is a friend now. Even at $100/night I’m money ahead on repairs and storage
sbushee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 10:04 PM   #16
MikeyG
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba, Lampassas

I could see myself renting my 5th wheel out. Although, I believe the renter would have to have some experience with 5ers it they were going to tow itnot to mention needing a hitch. Maybe it would be a long term rental deal where Id deliver and set up?
Id do it after a couple of years when the new wore off of it a bit.

MikeyG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-19-2021, 10:10 PM   #17
brunner
Associate Sponsor

Being close to Lake Texana and POC I definitely would consider renting one and charging an additional set up fee at a camper site.

Seems that would take a lot of liability out of the rental if I haul and set up?

Old 08-19-2021, 10:17 PM   #18
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie

We have my wife’s mother living in a guest house, that is getting ready for a remodel, $80 a day is cheap and worth it for my sanity, bookmarking for family discussion
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2021, 08:41 AM   #19
DirtyDave
Ten Point

I've been wondering the same thing.
Subscribing....
DirtyDave is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2021, 10:27 AM   #20
jaime1982
Ten Point

Hunt In: Edwards Co & anywhere I can

Quote:
Originally Posted by sbushee View Post
I rent campers on RV share. Have used it many times. I rent from one guy about three times a year. Hes close to my lease and the camper is nice. Guy is a friend now. Even at $100/night Im money ahead on repairs and storage
Thats no lie, note, ins,storage,maintenance you are WAY up at $100 per night.
jaime1982 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2021, 03:11 PM   #21
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

I rented one from rvshare for the end of September to go to Palo Duro. First time. It was dang sure a lot cheaper than Cruise America. We'll see how it goes.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2021, 03:22 PM   #22
CookieMonster
Eight Point

Hunt In: Kinney County

I use https://www.americandreamvacations.net/ to rent a travel trailer when we head out to Brackettville. I live in east Texas and stop at the one in Boerne (San Antonio). They have 2 or 3 locations in Texas and rent anywhere from 19’ up to 40+
CookieMonster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2021, 03:41 PM   #23
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County

We used RV Share for a couple years to rent out our pop-up camper. It was a decent platform, and we got somewhat regular income from it - easily enough to pay for annual insurance and maintenance on the camper.

Pop-ups can be tricky to set up correctly and not damage anything, so I would insist on walking the renter through the process before they left with the camper. This required good communication through the rental transaction so they were aware they needed to plan for about 30-60 minutes before they left with the camper. Most folks were happy to participate in the "orientation" and it worked well for minimizing any issues during their trip.

Other than some very small damage, we had a good experience with folks keeping the camper clean and well-cared for. You can set your own damage deposit, and I set ours a bit high at $500, so that seemed to keep folks careful about it. The renter is required to purchase insurance through RV Share to complete the transaction, so it's pretty worry-free. We got a great deal on our camper when we bought it, enjoyed the heck out if it when we owned it, made a few thousand dollars renting it out, then sold it for about what we originally paid for it during COVID last year.

All-in-all I would recommend it! Feel free to reach out with any questions.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-20-2021, 05:04 PM   #24
brunner
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
We used RV Share for a couple years to rent out our pop-up camper. It was a decent platform, and we got somewhat regular income from it - easily enough to pay for annual insurance and maintenance on the camper.

Pop-ups can be tricky to set up correctly and not damage anything, so I would insist on walking the renter through the process before they left with the camper. This required good communication through the rental transaction so they were aware they needed to plan for about 30-60 minutes before they left with the camper. Most folks were happy to participate in the "orientation" and it worked well for minimizing any issues during their trip.

Other than some very small damage, we had a good experience with folks keeping the camper clean and well-cared for. You can set your own damage deposit, and I set ours a bit high at $500, so that seemed to keep folks careful about it. The renter is required to purchase insurance through RV Share to complete the transaction, so it's pretty worry-free. We got a great deal on our camper when we bought it, enjoyed the heck out if it when we owned it, made a few thousand dollars renting it out, then sold it for about what we originally paid for it during COVID last year.

Solid info

Old 02-23-2022, 04:53 PM   #25
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land
Question Question

Quote:

If they have to buy the insurance, what is the deposit for? Is that to hold you over while waiting on a claim?
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-23-2022, 05:13 PM   #26
brunner
Associate Sponsor

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
If they have to buy the insurance, what is the deposit for? Is that to hold you over while waiting on a claim?

Thats correct

We have ours on Outdoorsy and we have rented it a handful of times with great luck so far in the Victoria/Crossroads area.

Old 02-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #27
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by donpablo View Post
The way I understood it, and explained to my renters - the damage deposit was for things that may happen while it is parked, while the required insurance is for any damage while it's in motion. The extra piece of mind was helpful.
Old 02-24-2022, 02:15 PM   #28
donpablo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Iraan, Culberson County & Public Land

Quote:
The way I understood it, and explained to my renters - the damage deposit was for things that may happen while it is parked, while the required insurance is for any damage while it's in motion. The extra piece of mind was helpful.
So the insurance doesn't cover damage occurring while parked?

What about roadside assistance? Is that something the owner provides or something covered by the insurance?
donpablo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 02-24-2022, 09:07 PM   #29
brunner
Associate Sponsor

Old 02-25-2022, 03:27 AM   #30
DFA
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cottle and Grayson County

I looked at renting something, but the fees add up quick. It's like airbnb with all their fees. Now, if I was wanting to rent one out, pretty much a no brainer for me
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2022, 09:58 AM   #31
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Do they make you fill out a W9 form so they can 1099 you?
Old 06-01-2022, 10:18 AM   #32
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

After we were done with ours (living in it while we built our barndo), we put it on rvshare and outdoorsy. We had a few rentals, but not enough to make the payment. We required a 3/4 ton truck if you were going to rent it. The renter was responsible for all transport. One dude showed up in a 1 ton dually, acted like he was a long haul pro, put the camper on a 2" ball, and lost it a few miles down the road. The safety chains saved the trailer. He tried to get us to pay him back for the electric jack he replaced and damage to his truck. The rvshare contract was pretty solid and we told him to kick rocks.

We were then approached by a company down in Richmond/Rosenburg. They stored the trailer, rented it for you, cleaned it, did the upkeep, etc. The split was 60/40. It worked well for a few months and then the asked us if we would consider a long term rental. Ever since, they've been at least 3 months behind paying us. We have no idea where our trailer is, or when we might see it again. They won't answer either of our calls, texts, or respond to emails. We're about to pursue legal action. Total PITA.

So, do not use VAKAY RV RENTALS!
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2022, 10:42 AM   #33
DaveC
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kinney County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post
After we were done with ours (living in it while we built our barndo), we put it on rvshare and outdoorsy. We had a few rentals, but not enough to make the payment. We required a 3/4 ton truck if you were going to rent it. The renter was responsible for all transport. One dude showed up in a 1 ton dually, acted like he was a long haul pro, put the camper on a 2" ball, and lost it a few miles down the road. The safety chains saved the trailer. He tried to get us to pay him back for the electric jack he replaced and damage to his truck. The rvshare contract was pretty solid and we told him to kick rocks.

We were then approached by a company down in Richmond/Rosenburg. They stored the trailer, rented it for you, cleaned it, did the upkeep, etc. The split was 60/40. It worked well for a few months and then the asked us if we would consider a long term rental. Ever since, they've been at least 3 months behind paying us. We have no idea where our trailer is, or when we might see it again. They won't answer either of our calls, texts, or respond to emails. We're about to pursue legal action. Total PITA.

Yikes what a story

Maybe it's new life is a rolling meth lab / skin flic studio

At what point can you claim it "stolen"?
Hopefully soon.
DaveC is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2022, 10:58 AM   #34
scott1022
Eight Point

Hunt In: Louisiana

As mentioned above. I tried to rent one but the fees add up so high that it was going to be $850 for a 4 day 3 night trip. I couldn't justify it. And that was just for a regular bumper pull.
scott1022 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2022, 11:36 AM   #35
brunner
Associate Sponsor

I rent mine all the time now.

Easily making the payment.

I offer delivery and set up within 60 miles for a fee.

If theyre not hauling it I dont always go through Outdoorsy especially if its someone I know I get CC to hold on file.

Old 06-01-2022, 11:55 AM   #36
saintsfan
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Illinois, Utah, Nevada, Colorado

We have rented a camper from RVshare at least once a year for the last 3 years. We've had a good experience each time.
saintsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2022, 01:43 PM   #37
DirtyDave
Ten Point

We are looking at buying a Class C Motorhome and possibly renting it out when we are not using it
Old 06-01-2022, 01:52 PM   #38
Texastaxi
Pope & Young

Hunt In: now accepting invitations!

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveC View Post
Yikes what a story

Maybe it's new life is a rolling meth lab / skin flic studio

At what point can you claim it "stolen"?
Hopefully soon.
It very well could be a meth lab. I do expect it to be trashed when we do get it back.

We've talked to a friend that's in LE, and he said to send them a 10 day demand letter, demanding it back. After those 10 days we can pursue legal action.

It's a headache no matter how you look at it.
Texastaxi is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2022, 02:39 PM   #39
Paycheck
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texastaxi View Post

Think I would rent my own trailer from them and not return it.
Paycheck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2022, 02:41 PM   #40
ateague11
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a tree!

Good for all of you that can rent out your RV to others. I am just super particular and dont think I would want anyone else staying in mine and sleeping in my bed.
ateague11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-01-2022, 02:47 PM   #41
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by ateague11 View Post
Good for all of you that can rent out your RV to others. I am just super particular and dont think I would want anyone else staying in mine and sleeping in my bed.
I'm the same way...but I might rent this one out to pay for the new one that only my family sleeps in...
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2022, 07:42 PM   #42
cbrown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will hunt 4 food

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I'm the same way...but I might rent this one out to pay for the new one that only my family sleeps in...
Thats exactly what we do. Ours rents and make us $1,000-1500 a month. Pays for the rental camper, our camper and boat.
cbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2022, 07:44 PM   #43
cbrown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Will hunt 4 food

I will say this though. I would stay in my camper that I rent to others and then I clean than I would a hotel room that anyone can sleep in and might get cleaned by someone making minimum wage…..
cbrown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 08-30-2022, 09:12 PM   #44
Whale
Ten Point

Hunt In: Grayson & Red River Co.

Tagged
Whale is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 02:05 PM   #45
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtyDave View Post
Do they make you fill out a W9 form so they can 1099 you?
Anyone?
Old 09-07-2022, 02:11 PM   #46
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Yes, you fill out a 1099 as part of the startup process.
Old 09-07-2022, 02:19 PM   #47
ateague11
Ten Point

Hunt In: ... a tree!

Those that rent and offer delivery, setup, and pick up. How do you accommodate this if you have a typical work schedule
ateague11 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 03:02 PM   #48
JTCowpoke
Eight Point

Quote:
I stay in hotels all the time that other people sleep in. Doesn't bother me as long as the sheets are clean.
JTCowpoke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 03:19 PM   #49
DirtyDave
Ten Point

Quote:
Those that rent and offer delivery, setup, and pick up. How do you accommodate this if you have a typical work schedule
Yeah that would be tricky
Old 09-07-2022, 05:40 PM   #50
Double C
Eight Point

Hunt In: Brady and Lubbock

Quote:
This. Who wants random people having a sex in your bed?
Double C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top