Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Public Hunting Opportunities

Old 12-14-2021, 09:22 PM   #51
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Keep at it

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2021, 06:53 AM   #52
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Hunt In: backyard

Good luck this morning gents!
OleTomTalker is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2021, 08:09 AM   #53
doug
Ten Point

Hunt In: Victoria

Good luck!
doug is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2021, 08:13 AM   #54
CaptTank
Six Point

Hunt In: Bee Co, Goliad Co, Gonzales Co, Fayette Co,Real Co., Caldwell County

Sorry for not posting last night. Had a 3 point show up and stay till dark and that was it for the day.

Back at it this morning. Had a nice young 8 pt on the corn at first light and then he moved off. Pretty dang windy. Did see two does close to my dadís blind when we drove in this morning. Iím hoping they work his way.

Good luck to everyone. Final countdown.

CaptTank is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2021, 08:38 AM   #55
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County

Windy morning. Most of my corn was eaten overnight but nothing moving now. Dad has a 6 pt on his corn, so he at least has proof they do exist.

goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2021, 12:33 PM   #56
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Anybody had any luck?
Old 12-15-2021, 01:16 PM   #57
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Well, folks, it was fun. I did not see one deer the entire time I was in the park. It was nice to be out and the TPWD always runs a good hunt.

I think theyíll need to consider how they move forward with this hunt in the future. The population may need to be left alone to grow before they hunt it again.

I will be putting together a short recap video, so stay tuned.

Old 12-15-2021, 01:37 PM   #58
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
Well, folks, it was fun. I did not see one deer the entire time I was in the park. It was nice to be out and the TPWD always runs a good hunt.

I think theyíll need to consider how they move forward with this hunt in the future. The population may need to be left alone to grow before they hunt it again.

Dang. I hate to hear that you didnít have any success.

salth2o is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2021, 01:41 PM   #59
solocam_aggie
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Bastrop

Well dang. That's pretty rough.
solocam_aggie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2021, 02:28 PM   #60
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:

Dang. Was any the other hunters able harvest anything? Do you know if anyone even saw an exotic?
My sons pretty excited about coming in couple weeks. I've warned him that the chances of an exotic are pretty low but low is better than we have now at zero.

Thanks for sharing on here and if ya have any advice or think of something we need to bring please pass along.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:36 PM   #61
TXOUTLAW
Eight Point

Hate to hear that. Thanks for taking us along

TXOUTLAW is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-15-2021, 06:45 PM   #62
CaptTank
Six Point

Well we didnít see too much either. I was finally able to connect on a doe at 9:45 today. Had a little 6 point come out at 9 and hang around for a bit and then the doe showed up about 9:45 ish. That is the only doe I saw around my blind. My dad saw another small buck and that was it for today. Looks like only 3 does brought in between 16 hunters. They said that is the lowest harvest rate they have had in 7 years according to one of the park staff guys. I think conditions were just off for deer movement during our allotted time and areas.

Old 12-15-2021, 08:47 PM   #63
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTank View Post
Well we didnít see too much either. I was finally able to connect on a doe at 9:45 today. Had a little 6 point come out at 9 and hang around for a bit and then the doe showed up about 9:45 ish. That is the only doe I saw around my blind. My dad saw another small buck and that was it for today. Looks like only 3 does brought in between 16 hunters. They said that is the lowest harvest rate they have had in 7 years according to one of the park staff guys. I think conditions were just off for deer movement during our allotted time and areas.

Wow, congrats on a hard-earned doe! Sorry we didn't get to meet up, but I am glad you were successful.
Old 12-15-2021, 08:47 PM   #64
goofiefoot
Ten Point

I put together my quick recap of the hunt. I hope y'all enjoy!

Old 12-15-2021, 10:01 PM   #65
CaptTank
Six Point

Quote:
Wow, congrats on a hard-earned doe! Sorry we didn't get to meet up, but I am glad you were successful.

Thank you sir. Nice video. I have been on a few of these draw hunts over the years, and each place is different. At each place the staff has their own approach, the set ups are different, the wildlife is different, and letís not leave out Mother Nature... It is always interesting to see how each hunt will play out. That is what keeps me putting in every year.

Old 12-15-2021, 10:07 PM   #66
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTank View Post
Thank you sir. Nice video. I have been on a few of these draw hunts over the years, and each place is different. At each place the staff has their own approach, the set ups are different, the wildlife is different, and letís not leave out Mother Nature... It is always interesting to see how each hunt will play out. That is what keeps me putting in every year.

Absolutely! We love going on these hunts, mostly to get to try out new spots. Most of the time we're successful, sometimes we're not. No big deal.
Old 12-15-2021, 10:28 PM   #67
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Good job on the video!

Kinda hard to get excited about my son's hunt from the reports on animals but I don't wanna miss out on an opportunity of us spending time so well be there day after Christmas
Old 12-16-2021, 09:50 AM   #68
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post
Good job on the video!

Kinda hard to get excited about my son's hunt from the reports on animals but I don't wanna miss out on an opportunity of us spending time so well be there day after Christmas
Best of luck to y'all! It is a nice place to hunt, and hopefully the animals' patterns will shift while you're there.
Old 12-16-2021, 10:14 AM   #69
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Best of luck to y'all! It is a nice place to hunt, and hopefully the animals' patterns will shift while you're there.
Thanks! Hope so too.

I saw someone mention taking alfalfa, y'all think it be worth our trouble? They have any regs around what you could feed or put out?
Old 12-16-2021, 10:31 AM   #70
WinslowBoy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

Quote:
Good job on the video!

Hope for a good cold front around the time of your hunt. Did this hunt 3 years ago and it was nice and cool and the deer were moving. Group of 4 shot 5 does and a small axis buck. Saw deer on most sits.

Sort of luck of the draw on the stands out there. Deer are there so don't be discouraged. Beautiful property and a nice way to spend time with your kiddo.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2021, 10:37 AM   #71
sboudreaux
Ten Point

Hunt In: Kimble County

Quote:
Thanks! Hope so too.

I saw someone mention taking alfalfa, y'all think it be worth our trouble? They have any regs around what you could feed or put out?
My buddy's FIL owns a hundred acres just outside of the SNA and when he puts out alfalfa the deer gobble it up. I'll echo what's been said above, hopefully a good cool front will get them on their feet while you are there. Good luck!
sboudreaux is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-16-2021, 10:42 AM   #72
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Thanks! Hope so too.

You have to have your corn in sealed bags (not farm-bought bags). We brought alfalfa and put it out, but not to great success.
Old 12-23-2021, 07:49 AM   #73
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

What kinda vehicle need for this place? Hoping gonna be ok but my old truck was acting up a little yesterday and little nervous about a 3 hour drive. Do i need try borrow a buddy's truck if mine not ok? Wife has a minivan (We put deer and pigs in it all the time on a tarp)

Just not sure if that work for going to hunting location?
Old 12-23-2021, 08:52 AM   #74
WinslowBoy
Eight Point

Hunt In: Trinity County, TPWD Public Hunts

Quote:
What kinda vehicle need for this place? Hoping gonna be ok but my old truck was acting up a little yesterday and little nervous about a 3 hour drive. Do i need try borrow a buddy's truck if mine not ok? Wife has a minivan (We put deer and pigs in it all the time on a tarp)

Almost all of the stands are just off of well maintained gravel roads. A guy next blind down from us was driving a minivan. If you take the van, let the staff know what you are driving an they will put you in a stand which has good access.

And don't think you are getting a bad stand. The best stand our group had was literally 75 yards off of the main gravel road running through the park. He shot 2 does and saw deer on every sit.

As far as exotics, there are some stragglers there but I wouldn't go there hoping to shoot one. They are definitely a bonus if one shows up.
WinslowBoy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2021, 09:14 AM   #75
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by winslowboy View Post
almost all of the stands are just off of well maintained gravel roads. A guy next blind down from us was driving a minivan. If you take the van, let the staff know what you are driving an they will put you in a stand which has good access.

And don't think you are getting a bad stand. The best stand our group had was literally 75 yards off of the main gravel road running through the park. He shot 2 does and saw deer on every sit.

As far as exotics, there are some stragglers there but i wouldn't go there hoping to shoot one. They are definitely a bonus if one shows up.
thanks!
Old 12-23-2021, 02:07 PM   #76
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:

I've had three minivans. And have had a ton of fun with them hunting, fishing, camping, and cycling. All while pulling a utility trailer or boat too! Gas milage was much better at the time than any P/Us. I felt like my stuff was much more secure in them too (important when ya got $10k in bicycles). Like you, I just used a tarp for critters when I needed to.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2021, 02:19 PM   #77
7sdad
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
I felt like my stuff was much more secure in them too (important when ya got $10k in bicycles). Like you, I just used a tarp for critters when I needed to.
If it was more than one bike you were riding those cheap ones.
7sdad is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 12-23-2021, 02:27 PM   #78
Texas Grown
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kick CoViD's tail!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7sdad View Post
If it was more than one bike you were riding those cheap ones.
Sometimes 1. Sometimes 2. Ones I put together. Not bike store store-bought stuff. That was 20-25 years ago.

The fish are biting, and there's hogs to be kill-t. Gotta go!
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2022, 03:50 PM   #79
jpb1999
Nubbin' Buck

Question How did the hunt go?

Quote:
thanks!
How did the hunt last year go?

My son and I also drew this hunt, but the "either sex" category. The hunt is on Nov 21-23. I have never been drawn before, so pretty pumped! Based on the previous comments I have found here, it sounds like our hunt dates should be pretty good as it is only the 2nd hunting dates available there.

Lots of questions though:
Can we request the blind we want?
Which blind would be the best for Axis?
Or which blind/areas would be the best in general to get a kill?
Just bring corn to bait with?
So these are pop up blinds? Do we need anything to help? Shooting sticks or tripod to shoot off of?

Thanks all!
jpb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-06-2022, 04:10 PM   #80
OleTomTalker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpb1999 View Post

My son and I also drew this hunt, but the "either sex" category. The hunt is on Nov 21-23. I have never been drawn before, so pretty pumped! Based on the previous comments I have found here, it sounds like our hunt dates should be pretty good as it is only the 2nd hunting dates available there.

So these are pop up blinds? Do we need anything to help? Shooting sticks or tripod to shoot off of?

Thanks all!
I think we were assigned blinds, don't remember for sure.
There are the occasional axis but from what rangers told us, not very common to see. When they do see them it is along the creek. We only put out corn. Deer movement on my son's hunt was almost non-existent. Only deer spotted and shot were from the couple blinds along the creek. He shot a big boar first afternoon and had an even bigger one next morning but didn't want to shoot in hopes of seeing a deer. We had really warm and REALLY foggy so our experience may not be the best on the deer hunting side of it. It is however a beautiful place and definitely recommend staying at the ranchhouse onsite. That was a really cool experience for us.
They did have a really nice, really big popup for us. Seemed to be in a good spot but the hogs were the only movement we saw. Take some sticks or tripods.

Hope I don't sound discouraging, I just don't wanna tell ya gonna see a bunch of deer or exotics. Think normally better than when we were there but not a lot. Having said that, my son is a very accomplished hunter for his age and we've had a lot of great memory conversations about that place even not seeing a single deer.
Old 09-06-2022, 04:13 PM   #81
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:

Thanks all!
Congrats on being drawn. With either sex, you have more options.

• No, the staff will assign you one.
  • From what we heard when we were there, there weren't many axis seen at all for some years
  • We were in the very southeast corner and didn't see much.
  • We brought corn and alfalfa. Corn was eaten up overnight. Alfalfa was barely touched.
  • Yes, big pop-up blinds. Shooting sticks are a must. If you have a comfy chair, you may bring that. The metal chairs they provide are brutal over a long sit.

I hope the hunting has improved over the past year. We talked to one of the park hosts before we started our hunt last year, and he let us know how little game had been taken on any of the hunts for at least 2-3 years. Needless to say, we did not put in for draws at SNA this year.

I do wish y'all the best of luck!
Old 09-06-2022, 04:44 PM   #82
salth2o
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Delta County and anywhere else I can.

Quote:

Thanks all!
My son hunted there back in 2020. We drew for blinds. No one on our hunt saw or killed an exotic.

We put out corn and they cleaned it up. The popups are nice and spacious. I always bring rest to shoot from.

Its a good hunt, beautiful country

We stayed in the lodge for $30 a night or so. At the lodge there is an area with a light that you can use to clean deer. I brought a gambrel and rope. There is a light and running water there.
salth2o is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-07-2022, 02:08 PM   #83
CaptTank
Six Point

We were on a doe only hunt. We didnít see many of those. The one I saw I shot at almost the very end of the hunt. It was around 10:30 and had to be out by 12. I did see a few bucks, but they were off limits. My dad saw a respectable 12. We saw hogs each sit. Place seemed kind of hit and miss as far as activity. Still always fun to see new country.

Old 09-07-2022, 08:45 PM   #84
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County and Draw Hunts

My son and a friend drew this for the youth either sex Dec 26th. Hoping for a successful hunt, but will be happy to just spend time there with him, my buddy and his son. Can’t wait!
Aggiebush is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-14-2022, 01:00 PM   #85
jpb1999
Nubbin' Buck

Any updates from the 1st hunt?

Our hunt is coming up next week. Weather and timing look to be good except for some rain chances Tues/Wednesday.

Looking forward to it!
jpb1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-15-2022, 12:36 PM   #86
Towboater
Four Point

Hunt In: Cameron & Willacy County

Quote:
Any updates from the 1st hunt?

Our hunt is coming up next week. Weather and timing look to be good except for some rain chances Tues/Wednesday.

Looking forward to it!
My Sons and I hunted there on the first hunt, and like the above post it was slow. When I left on the last day only two does had been taken, but we left early around 0930 had a long drive home. We hunted blinds 1 2 3 only saw one buck on blind 1 and 1 buck & hog on blind 2. There game out there because something was cleaning up all the corn we would put out. If you have a game cam set it up to see what eating up that corn at night. Good Luck!
Towboater is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 11-16-2022, 01:09 PM   #87
Aggiebush
Ten Point

Hunt In: Red River County and Draw Hunts

Planning on taking a couple of cameras on our hunt, never know what might show up. It will be the last hunt, sounds like not a lot getting taken, maybe the boys will get lucky.
Aggiebush is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top