Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 05-19-2022, 06:22 PM   #1
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hays County
Default Considering a used bay boat

I'd love some thoughts on what I'm currently considering, and welcome insight into things I may not have listed below.

We've been here in Rockport for 2 years now, and I'm really getting the itch to have my own bay boat. I love going out in my kayak, but I'd love to be able to take my family or friends along and get a bit farther out, especially when the wind is up. I've gathered some insight, and would like to get more, to help me in my search.

I've always been around boats, and have several buddies that I go out with pretty regularly down here, so I'm familiar with all the pieces and parts - I've just never owned my own boat. I have contacts that own a shop here in town, and based on some conversations with them, here's what I (think I) am considering:

Budget - $20-25k

Length - ±20-22'

Age - less than 10 years, or at least a good hull with a newer motor (I've seen some nice re-powered Pathfinders that seem reasonable)

Preferred features
  • PowerPole or similar
  • T-top or bimini (wife is fair-skinned)
  • trolling motor
  • navigation/GPS system
  • storage
  • somewhat comfortable/dry in chop
  • 12" or less draft (not looking for a super-skinny skiff, but I'd like to drift the flats without dragging)

Things to avoid
  • E-Tec or Optimax engines (apparently hard to get parts for, per the shop)
  • underpowered vessels (I'd like something that can get out of its own way)
  • damaged or fixer-upper situations

Used boat prices have been downright silly the past few years, but I have a feeling they'll start dropping with all the volatility and inflation we're seeing, and I hope this opens up more options within my budget. I will have to pay to store it, as I have no room at my house, so I'll be considering that expense as well.

Anyway, I'd love any thoughts or insights from y'all. I'm not in a hurry, and want to find what will be best for me and my family in the long run. If there are brands I should target, or avoid, please let me know.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2022, 06:52 PM   #2
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county
Default Considering a used bay boat

Unless something changes with that size, age and options you mentioned that’s virtually a pipe dream.

Not trying to bust your bubble.

There was a pathfinder in the classifieds that was a great deal but not sure if Gary sold it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2022, 07:21 PM   #3
BLACKFINTURKEY
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Marion,Texas

You can find them but it’s tough and remember… BOAT… Bust Out Another Thousand…
BLACKFINTURKEY is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2022, 07:27 PM   #4
STX_Shooter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Starr County

A little older than you’re looking for and a little more but this is one badazz bay boat.
Attached Images

STX_Shooter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2022, 07:49 PM   #5
Kingfisher789
Ten Point

Hunt In: Tivydale. Nix. Brownwood

Can you work on your “ Stuff?”
Kingfisher789 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2022, 09:04 PM   #6
kevin nicholls
Ten Point

Hunt In: Who knows

All boats are a compromise. Make sure you buy the boat that fits your type of fishing and expectations. Find someone you trust to help you look it over. You'll pay more at a dealer but a reputable place will help your choice. Take it for a test ride no matter what. Take a friend that help keep you on track with what you want. And take your time, the right one is out there you just have to find it. Good luck
kevin nicholls is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2022, 09:41 PM   #7
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
A little older than you’re looking for and a little more but this is one badazz bay boat.
Right motor,jumps quickly but don't meet "dry in chop" category.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-19-2022, 10:33 PM   #8
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
Unless something changes with that size, age and options you mentioned that’s virtually a pipe dream.

There was a pathfinder in the classifieds that was a great deal but not sure if Gary sold it.
No worries, I kinda expected some push back on my wish list. I am certainly open to compromise on most of the specs, as long as I don't have to compromise ALL of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
You can find them but it’s tough and remember… BOAT… Bust Out Another Thousand…
Yeah, I know what I'm signing up for. I'm prepared to spend the time to find just the right one, and plan to have a bit more cash on hand for "emergencies"

Quote:
Originally Posted by STX_Shooter View Post
I like the look of these, and see them all over around here. I would prefer that engine be a bit newer. Everything else looks pretty good. Wouldn't be too hard to slap some sort of shade device on it, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kingfisher789 View Post
Can you work on your “ Stuff?”
Will you elaborate?

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin nicholls View Post
All boats are a compromise. Make sure you buy the boat that fits your type of fishing and expectations. Find someone you trust to help you look it over. You'll pay more at a dealer but a reputable place will help your choice. Take it for a test ride no matter what. Take a friend that help keep you on track with what you want. And take your time, the right one is out there you just have to find it. Good luck
Wise words. Yes, this has been repeated to me several times in my exploring, and I will definitely heed the advice. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
Right motor,jumps quickly but don't meet "dry in chop" category.
Yeah, those low sides don't exactly shout comfy and dry, but man, those low sides...

I appreciate the thoughts. Keep em coming!
Old 05-20-2022, 07:42 AM   #9
Austin
Ten Point

I was in your shoes not long ago and I looked hard and finally found a good fit at a price I could live with.

Remember it’s easy to add accessories or options with time. I needed something good in the bay and lakes because my time is split 50/50 between the two on the water where i gave was on age of boat/motor purchasing a 09 frontier with t-top 200 Yamaha SHO (60hrs at time of purchase) garmin electronics and a power pole and Bluetooth sound system.

I have since added a turbo swing for pulling tubes and a ipilot trolling motor.

One consideration you should make is on where/how you plan to store the boat as t-top will require significantly more door height
Austin is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:18 AM   #10
TexasBob
Pope & Young

I wouldn't be scared to go a bit older depending on hours and what motor is hanging on the back. I love a 4 stroke yamaha for what it's worth.
TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:24 AM   #11
Gumbo Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Between Onalaska and Groveton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
I wouldn't be scared to go a bit older depending on hours and what motor is hanging on the back. I love a 4 stroke yamaha for what it's worth.
4 stroke all the way with fuel prices today.
Gumbo Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:26 AM   #12
Bassdeer
Ten Point

There some deals out there you just might have to do a road trip to find it, get on Boat Trader and start searching.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 08:55 AM   #13
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Also a T top takes up a lot of room in a 20-22” boat when it comes to casting a such. Also catches a bunch of wind.

Old 05-20-2022, 09:13 AM   #14
hopedale
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WMAs

My NCOIC grew up in Maimi, and she told me if I wanted a good deal on a boat to head down there at the end of the summer.

Apprentely a lot of well to do folks from the East coast like to head to Miami over the summer and will buy a new boat. And when its time to go back home they sell the boat at the end of the season.

I should stated this was a discussion we had in the early 90s, but I suspect the practice still goes on.

Check this one out - https://miami.craigslist.org/mdc/bod...485805178.html

Last edited by hopedale; 05-20-2022 at 09:15 AM.
hopedale is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:24 AM   #15
Eastwood
Six Point

Pathfinders are great boats, my current boat and my prior boat were Pathfinders. Both 2007 models with Yamaha 150 four strokes. Pathfinders hold their value and unless you find a smoking deal, you won't find one under 2010 for less than 30k. I bought my 2007 2000v last year for 25,000 then I added a power pole, Lowrance hds 16 and many maintenance items for another 9,000. I can see the prices coming down some if the economy keeps it current pace, but probably not much.
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 11:05 AM   #16
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin View Post
I was in your shoes not long ago and I looked hard and finally found a good fit at a price I could live with.

Remember it’s easy to add accessories or options with time. I needed something good in the bay and lakes because my time is split 50/50 between the two on the water where i gave was on age of boat/motor purchasing a 09 frontier with t-top 200 Yamaha SHO (60hrs at time of purchase) garmin electronics and a power pole and Bluetooth sound system.

I have since added a turbo swing for pulling tubes and a ipilot trolling motor.

One consideration you should make is on where/how you plan to store the boat as t-top will require significantly more door height
Good points, all around. I was a bit worried about the height issue, then I happened to drive by one of the boat storage places this morning and saw a guy pulling a t-topped boat out of a "mid-size" unit, so that made me feel better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
My parameters are certainly bendable. I'm not afraid of the RIGHT older boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassdeer View Post
There some deals out there you just might have to do a road trip to find it, get on Boat Trader and start searching.
I'm not afraid to drive but I'll want to be able to get it checked out and on the water wherever I find one. I'd love to find one locally and take it to my buddy's shop, but we'll see what's out there.

Quote:
Also a T top takes up a lot of room in a 20-22” boat when it comes to casting a such. Also catches a bunch of wind.
Yeah, I'm aware. This one is a wifey mandate - if she gets roasted while we're out every time, it won't bode well. A bimini top would be ok as well, and a bit more versatile if it's not hard to remove.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
Pathfinders are great boats, my current boat and my prior boat were Pathfinders. Both 2007 models with Yamaha 150 four strokes. Pathfinders hold their value and unless you find a smoking deal, you won't find one under 2010 for less than 30k. I bought my 2007 2000v last year for 25,000 then I added a power pole, Lowrance hds 16 and many maintenance items for another 9,000. I can see the prices coming down some if the economy keeps it current pace, but probably not much.
I've had my eye on Pathfinders since we moved down here. I'm seeing some deals out there that will probably be scooped up quickly

This one is a 2009 2100 Fusion with a 200 Yamaha for $28k

This one is a 2002 2200 with a 2012 225 Mercury for $27k

So, they're out there, and that gives me hope.
Old 05-20-2022, 11:20 AM   #17
frios
Six Point

Quote:

This.

May need to lower your specs a little. Just my 2 cents.

I got lucky when I picked up this 2016 - 18lts mako with 115 for $15k last year. Motor only had 24 hours on it.
Attached Images

frios is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 11:22 AM   #18
Mayhem
Pope & Young

I also wouldn’t buy any boat that doesn’t have a 4 stroke engine.

Old 05-20-2022, 11:35 AM   #19
Mini-x fan
Six Point

Another thing to look out for - the Yamaha HPDI motors above 200 HP (225, 250, 275, and 300) are known for blowing powerheads.
Mini-x fan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 11:54 AM   #20
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by frios View Post
This.

May need to lower your specs a little. Just my 2 cents.

I got lucky when I picked up this 2016 - 18lts mako with 115 for $15k last year. Motor only had 24 hours on it.
Wow, that's a heck of a deal! A buddy has that Mako model, and it's a great little fisher.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mini-x fan View Post
Another thing to look out for - the Yamaha HPDI motors above 200 HP (225, 250, 275, and 300) are known for blowing powerheads.
Ok, thanks. I hadn't heard that, so good to watch for.
Old 05-20-2022, 01:26 PM   #21
gburk
Four Point

Recently got a Key West 216 like this one which I've found to be a good compromise between draft (14") and seaworthiness (pretty good flare and handles lake chop well)

Ours has a two-stroke Yammer with low hours that's been great - but the quiet four strokes out there now are just better.

eg
https://www.thehulltruth.com/boats-s...00-suzuki.html
gburk is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 01:49 PM   #22
ultrastealth
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Camp Wood, TX

As happy as one guy is to buy a boat, the seller is always happier.
ultrastealth is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #23
Chance Love
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Hill Country and South Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Well not always. We were very sad to sell our Champion. But it went to a good home.
Chance Love is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 02:12 PM   #24
Razorback01
Pope & Young

Hunt In: where my Elite takes me!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultrastealth View Post
Two happiest days in a boat owners life, the day he buys it- and the day he sells it.
Razorback01 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 03:13 PM   #25
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Ive seen +/- 10 boats go in my life and I cant think of any I was happy to see go. Miss the airboat, a 15 john and even the glitter boat quite often.

OP...as far as a T top goes, look at canvas USA, they make a folding top that covers like a T top but folds up and comes off in about 5 minutes. Ive have one on my last 2 boats.
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 03:20 PM   #26
hogslayer78
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Augustine

Quote:
Ive seen +/- 10 boats go in my life and I cant think of any I was happy to see go. Miss the airboat, a 15 john and even the glitter boat quite often.

OP...as far as a T top goes, look at canvas USA, they make a folding top that covers like a T top but folds up and comes off in about 5 minutes. Ive have one on my last 2 boats.
You ain't lying about that.....a true die hard fisherman that goes every weekend almost except when it's hunting season will never be glad to see there boat go unless they got another lined up. Now the guys that fish once or twice a year only then maybe I could see it.
hogslayer78 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 03:52 PM   #27
bloodtrail18
Ten Point

Hunt In: Uvalde, Tx

I've owned and sold 5 boats. Can't say I was happy to see any of them go.
bloodtrail18 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 04:01 PM   #28
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:

Oh that's cool, and they're based here in Rockport. I'll check them out if/when I need them.
Old 05-20-2022, 05:11 PM   #29
TexasBob
Pope & Young

https://www.2coolfishing.com/threads...-boat.2713321/

TexasBob is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 05:52 PM   #30
TreyRo
Ten Point

Hunt In: Whitney

Add me to the list of people that don’t like selling boats. I miss all of them for one reason or another.

I’m also hoping to join the same search this winter for a bay boat.
TreyRo is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 06:30 PM   #31
LakeJake
Ten Point

Here is a decent resource

https://www.boatsforsale.com/boat-types/bay-boat
LakeJake is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 09:34 PM   #32
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca County & Alberta

Don't be scared to buy older, particulary if it's the right hull, or motor or has light hours.

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-20-2022, 10:01 PM   #33
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

The money just doesn't go very far on boats these days. A 22' boat in decent shape with newer and adequate power is going to be tough at $25k.

I'd tell you to figure out what you want first. Go ride in some different types of hulls. They all look good. Only running one will tell you if it'll do what it looks like it ought to do and do what you need it to do.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-21-2022, 10:18 AM   #34
Bassdeer
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeJake View Post
Good site, just did a search for my buddy that's looking for a bay boat.
Bassdeer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-22-2022, 11:31 AM   #35
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY View Post
Don't be scared to buy older, particulary if it's the right hull, or motor or has light hours.
Yeah, I've been seeing some decent looking deals not far outside my criteria, so I'm certainly open to being flexible on the right boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Glenn View Post
The money just doesn't go very far on boats these days. A 22' boat in decent shape with newer and adequate power is going to be tough at $25k.

I'd tell you to figure out what you want first. Go ride in some different types of hulls. They all look good. Only running one will tell you if it'll do what it looks like it ought to do and do what you need it to do.
Understood, and I'm seeing that as I've been expanding my search. I've based most of my criteria on my experience on friends' boats I've been on - from small poling skiffs to 25' Haynies so I feel I've got enough to go on. Of course, anything I seriously consider I'll want to get on the water before making a final decision.
Old 05-23-2022, 06:27 PM   #36
snipermedic
Ten Point

Hunt In: Arkansas

Ok my questions are this:

1. Where in rockport do you want to fish? You can be in 6”
Or 60ft.
2. Where are you going to launch? Are you frequently going to make the run across aransas bay? You going to run the ditch to the jetties? You going to go off shore? You going to fish Estes or you going get oyster rash in copono?
3. Boat fish or wade? Live or artificial only?

All these questions matter greatly in rockport. Rockport is one place that you have the option to do it all. And boat choice matters for your options and happiness.
snipermedic is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 05-23-2022, 07:13 PM   #37
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by snipermedic View Post
Ok my questions are this:

1. Where in rockport do you want to fish? You can be in 6”
Or 60ft.
2. Where are you going to launch? Are you frequently going to make the run across aransas bay? You going to run the ditch to the jetties? You going to go off shore? You going to fish Estes or you going get oyster rash in copono?
3. Boat fish or wade? Live or artificial only?

All these questions matter greatly in rockport. Rockport is one place that you have the option to do it all. And boat choice matters for your options and happiness.
All great questions.

1. I want to have flexibility to fish a larger array of spots than I currently have, either when going out by myself in my kayak, or going with my buddies with smaller boats. My kayak is a Hobie with the fin drive, so while I can coast through fairly shallow water with my fins up, it's most comfortable in 14+". I have a buddy with a technical poling skiff than can get super-skinny, so I can just go out with him if I want to stay shallow all day. Another buddy has a 17' shallow bay boat that's nice and efficient for 2 guys wanting to spend time on the water, but just beats the heck out of you if it's choppy. I took all these factors into consideration in looking at a larger boat. If I can get across the bays somewhat comfortably on a breezy day, that's ideal. I'm not looking for an offshore monster, but would love to get out to the jetties.

2. I'm most familiar with launching at Cove Harbor and Conn Brown, and would like to explore more in Copano, St Charles and across Aransas bays. I love drifting the flats and working shorelines, though there's something nice about finding a spot to anchor down and just hang for a while to see what comes by.

3. The majority will be boat fishing, though having the option to jump out and wade, or park it and duck hunt would be a plus. I enjoy throwing lures mostly, but I don't look down my nose at using live and dead bait, especially if I have newer fishermen with me.

I've enjoyed exploring the waters around here the past 2 years we've lived here, and that's why I'm wanting to take the next step to having my own boat. I've appreciated all the input and advice so far!
Old 05-23-2022, 11:11 PM   #38
snipermedic
Ten Point

So with that said you should be fine with a multiple purpose semi shallow semi V or cat hull. I personally prefer the cats. Several guides in that area and a ton in Matagorda run the Tran SVT. Back in the 90’s and 2000’s the blue wave supper tunnels was one of the most popular options and you could see 25-50 a day in town. The pathfinder is a rockport icon as well as a mowdy.
To be honest a good solid older hull quality hull of Tran majek pathfinder gulf coast might be your best bet. Have it checked out. Dont worry about the motor age or brand just get it checked out by a reputable mechanic. If it seaworthy and reliable run it. Buy a SEATOW or boat US membership 180 year. And run the boat. When it breaks for good go and buy you a brand new 140 or 200 Suzuki and finance for 6 years through Suzuki. In your price range this is probably your best bet. Buy the quality hull you want. Not saying deals are not out there but this I feel is going to be your best route. Don’t worry about the Ttop when that time comes PM me. I will save you a ton of money. Second trolling motors can be picked up at various classifieds and you got a great minkota repair place in town. But if you want to fish the jetties then spot lock is a must. GPS. You don’t need the best. All you need can be picked up for 4-800. Join 2cool and multiple other boat pages on FB. If you got any more questions feel free to ask. For the record boat 5 and 6 are in my drive way. And I only buy custom aluminum boats. But you can’t find what I own, it took me 10 years to find it. If I was buying a glass hull new or slightly used in the mid tier range I would look hard at freedom patriot. It’s 18 but fishes like a 20. Or a used Tran cat.
Old 05-23-2022, 11:46 PM   #39
snipermedic
Ten Point

https://houston.craigslist.org/boa/d...481772751.html
This heck of a deal with a great motor that is great in gas and reliability. There are many great other boat brands. This is one. Don’t be afraid to look inland. In fact I would almost prefer to look inland and around a lake. Tran in palacios also has a lot of options on the lot typically not just Tran and he also takes in boats and does a great refurbish job.
Old 05-24-2022, 04:39 PM   #40
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Thanks, snipermedic! Lots to consider there.
Old 05-26-2022, 03:07 PM   #41
Mini-x fan
Six Point

https://www.facebook.com/groups/5799...37632629984712

Take a look at this one!
Mini-x fan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-22-2022, 03:15 PM   #42
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Just an update that I am now actively looking for a boat. With the feedback I received here, and research I've been doing along the way, I've updated my parameters:

Budget - up to $35k

Length - 20-22'

Age - less than 10 years, or at least a good hull with a newer motor

Preferred brands - Pathfinder, Majek, Tran, Dargel

Preferred features
PowerPole or similar
T-top or bimini (wife is fair-skinned)
trolling motor
navigation/GPS system
storage
somewhat comfortable/dry in chop
12" or less draft (not looking for a super-skinny skiff, but I'd like to drift the flats without dragging)

Things to avoid
E-Tec or Optimax engines (apparently hard to get parts for, per the shop)
underpowered vessels (I'd like something that can get out of its own way)
damaged or fixer-upper situations
Old 06-22-2022, 04:35 PM   #43
Mr. Public
Ten Point

Hunt In: Too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
Just an update that I am now actively looking for a boat. With the feedback I received here, and research I've been doing along the way, I've updated my parameters:

Budget - up to $35k

Length - 20-22'

Age - less than 10 years, or at least a good hull with a newer motor

Preferred brands - Pathfinder, Majek, Tran, Dargel

Preferred features
PowerPole or similar
T-top or bimini (wife is fair-skinned)
trolling motor
navigation/GPS system
storage
somewhat comfortable/dry in chop
12" or less draft (not looking for a super-skinny skiff, but I'd like to drift the flats without dragging)

Things to avoid
E-Tec or Optimax engines (apparently hard to get parts for, per the shop)
underpowered vessels (I'd like something that can get out of its own way)
damaged or fixer-upper situations

Goofiefoot, Call Mt Houston Marine. My cousin Tyler & Ashley run it, they will get you in a Pathfinder or Dargel, he is also a BlueWave dealer and has other types of boats that may fit your type.

Mr. Public is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 11:04 AM   #44
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Well, folks, I found my boat. Not exactly the direction I thought I'd go, but these weren't on my radar until I saw this one. I feel really good about the deal I made on it, and it leaves plenty in the budget for add-ons and maintenance.

2006 Mosca 22' Bay Raider
2011 Suzuki DF250SS with ~400 hours

This thing rides well, and the raised console is nice! Plenty of motor for the boat, and it pops up on plane very quickly. Lots of storage, too.

My first additions will be a Power Pole, and I'll look into some sort of shade for it - probably a removable bimini.

Thanks to y'all for the input!
Old 06-29-2022, 11:20 AM   #45
panhandlehunter
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Brazoria, Matagorda & Webb Counties

Nice boat.
panhandlehunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 11:21 AM   #46
rolylane6
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wise county

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
Well, folks, I found my boat. Not exactly the direction I thought I'd go, but these weren't on my radar until I saw this one. I feel really good about the deal I made on it, and it leaves plenty in the budget for add-ons and maintenance.

2006 Mosca 22' Bay Raider
2011 Suzuki DF250SS with ~400 hours

This thing rides well, and the raised console is nice! Plenty of motor for the boat, and it pops up on plane very quickly. Lots of storage, too.

My first additions will be a Power Pole, and I'll look into some sort of shade for it - probably a removable bimini.

Thanks to y'all for the input!
Oh my, she's beautiful!

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
rolylane6 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 11:55 AM   #47
Walker
Pope & Young

A friend of mine had one and I got a real good deal on a motor from them back in 08. By the way my friend said it was the wettest ride he'd ever had. I wasn't there.
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 12:00 PM   #48
goofiefoot
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walker View Post
A friend of mine had one and I got a real good deal on a motor from them back in 08. By the way my friend said it was the wettest ride he'd ever had. I wasn't there.
That's interesting. We had it out on the bay in pretty rough water and a good breeze last night and stayed nice and dry. From what I saw, unless there was a heavy cross breeze, it kept spray well away from the inside of the boat.
Old 06-29-2022, 12:31 PM   #49
Capt Glenn
Ten Point

That is pretty much any boat. A cross wind is going to get you wet with spray. My boat is the smoothest riding bay boat I have ever been in and I can still get you sprayed if I run the wrong angle and catch that side spray just right on a windy day.

Those boats were real popular in the early to mid-00's. I never really heard anything negative about the quality of the hulls. I know a guy here who runs one still. I have had some tunnel vs just not a Mosca. They are not the driest, wettest, smoothest, roughest or shallowest but they do a whole lot pretty well. You could have done a whole lot worse. That boat will allow you to do a whole lot and have a bunch of fun. The Trans are great folks to deal with.

I hope it ends up being a great fit for you and you get lots of enjoyment out of it. If nothing else it'll be a great first boat because it does sit kinda in the middle of the spectrum. Won't be long and you'll know exactly what you want in a boat. You'll also learn a ton about maintenance and upkeep and general boat operation. When you get ready to upgrade you'll know which direction you want to go from there.

Just go easy on your turns at speed. You need to really respect that hull when it comes to that. Any tunnel v can swap ends and it is scary and can be dangerous if you don't know about it. Slow down, trim your motor way down and get the bow down into the water before you make a sharp turn. If you do that you won't have a problem. Most of the time you wouldn't have an issue anyway but the one time it does happen it'll scare the crap out of you. The key is slow down and get the hull into contact with the water all the way up to the bow. If you have enough water lower your jackplate all the way down before you start the turn as well. If you have the bow in the water before starting the turn you won't have an issue ever. If you just slow down and take the turns real big and easy you won't ever have a problem. It's really just something to be aware of and be thinking about as you run your boat. Anticipate your turns, especially tight fast turns.
Capt Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-29-2022, 01:36 PM   #50
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Congrats on the boat.

Those tunnel V’s are great all around boats, but like Glen mentioned, be careful turning with the jackplate raised at higher speeds, as they have been known to swap ends.

Most of all have fun.