No announcement yet.

Hunting without a deer lease

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Haven't had a lease in about 5 years. I spend one week in November in Kansas chasing Kansas Whitetails with archery equipment and then do ONE meat hunt form exotics around December or January. In the long run it is cost effective.
    BUT, I do miss the Lease experience and sharing a fire with fellow hunters....

Comment

Originally posted by Briar Friar View Post
      Noted…but…
      You might consider keeping it to yourself…however well un/known.

Good push MrBonney.
      Why would I keep it to myself? That’s what it’s all about, spreading the wealth and helping each other out. There’s plenty out there for more than just me. I’m not that guy, I want others to enjoy and reap the benefits of these types of things

Comment

There’s walk-in public hunting here in Texas; just not a lot of it. Starting in August, you can buy the $48 “annual public hunting permit” along with your license, and TPWD will send you the public hunting lands map booklet. You can also Google/download this past year’s. Each wildlife management area has its own seasons and bag limits. There are many more opportunities for dove and pigs than anything else, though a number of properties do allow archery deer hunting. Very few allow walk-in rifle hunting for deer.

Comment

Originally posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
          Why would anyone pay to hunt tiny Wimberley deer?
          Funny enough, we had some sizable deer on our property. Most of our bucks dressed out well over 100 pounds.

Originally posted by CTR0022 View Post
          How old is your dad and can he physically keep up with hunting public out west or in neighboring states? If being successful is important to you, public land hunting takes alot of time and dedication. If your content with just being out there, then all the options you listed will work.

Since you live in Rockport, assuming you have a boat and can consistently put people on fish i recommend trying to trade some hunts for fishing trips. I imagine there are several people on this board that will let you come out to their lease and hunt for a weekend if you agree to take them out fishing for reds, specs, and flounder for a weekend.
          My dad will be 70 this year, and is in better shape than me. He keeps saying he wants to do some bigger hunts "before he gets too old". I'd love to do some spot and stalk mountain hunting with him, rifle or archery.

I kayak fish down here in Rockport. I've considered buying a boat, but hasn't happened yet. The upkeep and storage costs make me nervous. I do like the idea of trading out hunts for fishing, so something to consider!

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
          For what your wanting, time with family and home away from home. Public is an option!…. Just get out of Texas!!!

Pick a state…. Any state (north or east). Get a camper and go. It’s different and cost wise to make things apples to apples is about the same honestly. There is gear you need and a LOT of lease gear you DONT need.

It can be as relaxing or as challenging as you like.

Draw hunts in Texas have been fun, if drawn of course.

I too miss a lease every now and then…. But quickly see the massive positives I’ve gained stepping away
          I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on this!

Originally posted by OleTomTalker View Post
          Maybe a thought of a little different path but I suggest looking at volunteering for some organizations like TYHP (Texas Youth Hunting Program). I find just as much enjoyment in hunts a lot of times that I'm not even the one pulling the trigger. Have been to some really cool parts of the state on some incredible ranches and met some awesome people along the way. Something can do with your dad and include the family too.

Just something a little different to consider.
          That is a fantastic suggestion! I'll look into it!

Originally posted by 30-30 View Post
          There’s walk-in public hunting here in Texas; just not a lot of it. Starting in August, you can buy the $48 “annual public hunting permit” along with your license, and TPWD will send you the public hunting lands map booklet. You can also Google/download this past year’s. Each wildlife management area has its own seasons and bag limits. There are many more opportunities for dove and pigs than anything else, though a number of properties do allow archery deer hunting. Very few allow walk-in rifle hunting for deer.
          Thanks for the info!

As far as those asking about what I'm paying for a lease, I'd simply rather not share that info. We are still leasing the property through August, and I feel it's a private affair through that time. I will say it's more than we've ever paid for a lease, by quite a large margin, but we've felt it was worth the cost for everything we have access to.

I appreciate all the information and ideas. Who knows - maybe we'll find another lease. Maybe we'll enjoy the "freedom" of not being tied to a single property. Maybe this will lead to new passions and interests. We're keeping our minds open.

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
            Funny enough, we had some sizable deer on our property. Most of our bucks dressed out well over 100 pounds.

My dad will be 70 this year, and is in better shape than me. He keeps saying he wants to do some bigger hunts "before he gets too old". I'd love to do some spot and stalk mountain hunting with him, rifle or archery.

I kayak fish down here in Rockport. I've considered buying a boat, but hasn't happened yet. The upkeep and storage costs make me nervous. I do like the idea of trading out hunts for fishing, so something to consider!

I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on this!

That is a fantastic suggestion! I'll look into it!

Thanks for the info!

As far as those asking about what I'm paying for a lease, I'd simply rather not share that info. We are still leasing the property through August, and I feel it's a private affair through that time. I will say it's more than we've ever paid for a lease, by quite a large margin, but we've felt it was worth the cost for everything we have access to.

I appreciate all the information and ideas. Who knows - maybe we'll find another lease. Maybe we'll enjoy the "freedom" of not being tied to a single property. Maybe this will lead to new passions and interests. We're keeping our minds open.
            There’s a lot to be desired to “having a place” leases or owned. But not for me. I’m against the own it for hunting. I’ll never own enough property to be content. Give me 10k acres and I’d be bored with it in a few years.

I actively hunt over 250k acres a year combined for less than $1k a year. And even in the limited time I get to hunt them I see better quality deer than most do on free range “leased land”

It’s a challenge that I enjoy. I’ve been blessed to have taken a lot of deer, so “killing a deer” ain’t where I am personally (everyone is different). I’m after deer my pocketbook can’t afford any other way. It’s tough out there due to YouTubers and hunting forums. But for me the value is public…. Outside of Texas. Other than draws… and even there, the ultra increased entries and age class being taken “cause it’s an xyz buck” make it more justified for out of state for MY style and phase of life

Find a property now anywhere and go check it out. Set a few long weekend on the calendar and go!…. No feeders to fill, corn to buy, coons to kill, hogs are everywhere but not concentrated to a bait pile to ruin deer hunting. No need to scout all pre season…. Cause they are where you find them. Different places at different times of year. You may not see a deer all week…. Or you may see 50+ a day

At the price of owning huntable land. Lol. I could go to the king ranch and poach a buck… turn my self in and pay fines… every year of my life and come out cheaper than owning, taxes, developing it…. So my neighbors can kill “that cull 8”

Comment

hilarious thread.
              so many opinions.

I'm sure everyone just made this guy mind befuddled. hahaha

Comment

The key to public land is not going during hunting season. Go camping, hiking and fishing in the off season. You don’t have to worry about getting shot and most of those “hunting” trips are camping trips anyway. Pretty cheap also.

Comment

start duck hunting... you live on the water

Comment

Out of state opportunities or maybe public land hunting in Texas if it has to be closer to home. I would look into elk or mule deer hunting in nearby states.

Comment

Originally posted by cmeadors View Post

This. Lots of great duck hunting in your backyard. One of the most fun and addicting forms of hunting there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by mooch View Post
                        This. Lots of great duck hunting in your backyard. One of the most fun and addicting forms of hunting there is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                        I leased for 30 years and had some great leases. I quit leasing 10 years ago and don't miss it. Since retiring last year I thought I would try again, found a place close to the house and hunted it all bow season and the 1st week of gun enjoyed it but realized leasing was not for me anymore. I will stick to hunting Iowa and draw hunts and maybe some standby. It's funny how in my younger days I would think once I retire I would hunt every day during hunting season and now I am satisfied with the few days I get outdoors.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk

Comment

I left my lease last season. Interested in what comes out of this post as well.

I'll miss the comradery that sometimes existed - won't miss the drama. Public leasing is likely to lack comradery and a quick place to get to in the middle of the night to enjoy for the weekend.

More bird hunting. More hunting smaller sections that are available. But I do like large area to hunt. I need to spend a bit more time looking at options.

Comment

You can still hunt that lease. Just don’t get caught. Makes hunting a lot more interesting. Just funding. Suck when these thing happen. Good luck with your search. That way I went back to fishing.

Comment

Originally posted by frios View Post
                              hilarious thread.
                              so many opinions.

I'm sure everyone just made this guy mind befuddled. hahaha
                              Man, I asked for opinions, and I got them. I'm definitely thankful, not befuddled. Yes, there are a lot of options, and now I have a whole list of them to choose from!

Originally posted by cmeadors View Post
                              Yes! I will definitely be getting out during duck season. I want to turn my kayak into a mobile duck blind next season.

Originally posted by dfkoon View Post
                              I left my lease last season. Interested in what comes out of this post as well.

I'll miss the comradery that sometimes existed - won't miss the drama. Public leasing is likely to lack comradery and a quick place to get to in the middle of the night to enjoy for the weekend.

More bird hunting. More hunting smaller sections that are available. But I do like large area to hunt. I need to spend a bit more time looking at options.
                              We had 3 folks on this lease. My dad, his best friend (my godfather), and me. No real drama, just camaraderie. My godfather passed away in August last year, so his son took his place, and we had a great season with good fellowship and reminiscing. We will look for more opportunities to hunt together elsewhere.

Originally posted by Boss Buck View Post
                              You can still hunt that lease. Just don’t get caught. Makes hunting a lot more interesting. Just funding. Suck when these thing happen. Good luck with your search. That way I went back to fishing.
                              This made me laugh! I appreciate the encouragement!

Comment

Originally posted by goofiefoot View Post
                                We just learned that we're losing our deer lease in Wimberley this year. Well, we're getting priced out of it - we did have a choice to stay on, with much more limited access, and a 75% price increase. So, yeah, we're losing our lease.

We've leased this piece of property for 7 years, and it's an amazing spot. Year-round availability, cabin with electricity, river access, and a decent amount of deer, pigs, and turkey. We've even taken a few exotics. This has been a home away from home for the 3 of us hunting the property, along with our families, and we're heartbroken to lose it.

For what we got, this lease was relatively affordable, and looking at the few current lease listings I've seen at double or more the price, I believe it will be near impossible to find a place we'll be able to afford. My dad is retired and on a fixed income, and I'm not willing to hunt without him.

So, we move forward. Sure, we'll keep our eyes out for a new lease, but I want to have a plan to continue hunting. I'd love some thoughts and input from those of you who are able to hunt somewhat regularly without a lease. Here are some of my thoughts:
                                • Texas state draw hunts - we put in for quite a few each year, and can simply apply for more.
                                • Stand-by for draw hunts - we do this from time to time, may try for more
                                • Public land hunts - I know nothing about this but may be time to explore
                                • Make connections with friends and acquaintances who may have opportunities to day or cull hunt
                                • "Pay to play" hunts - I'm not terribly excited about this option, but it's there if we want it
                                • Out of state hunts - it may be too late for this year, but look into getting some points started out of state. Any good over-the-counter tags still exist?
                                • Out of country hunts - Dad keeps talking about driving to Canada to shoot bears. I'd love to hunt moose some day.
                                • Fish more - I live in Rockport and miss a lot of time on the water when I'm hunting.

Any other ideas?

Please note - I'm not complaining. We have been blessed with the opportunity to be on some awesome leases over the past 30+ years. While I'm disappointed we won't be able to stay on the current property, I am thankful for the time we've had there.
                                There are no GOOD OTC out of state tags, but there are good hunts if you enjoy the experience. New Mexico draw application deadline is TODAY I believe, and Colorado comes up next month so plenty of time there.

Sounds like you're already on top of the TPWD stuff.

If you guys want to switch gears it can be fun to take up duck hunting on public down on the coast.

Comment

Working...
                                X