Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-14-2022, 03:50 PM   #1
goofiefoot
Ten Point
 
goofiefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Hays County
Default Hunting without a deer lease

We just learned that we're losing our deer lease in Wimberley this year. Well, we're getting priced out of it - we did have a choice to stay on, with much more limited access, and a 75% price increase. So, yeah, we're losing our lease.

We've leased this piece of property for 7 years, and it's an amazing spot. Year-round availability, cabin with electricity, river access, and a decent amount of deer, pigs, and turkey. We've even taken a few exotics. This has been a home away from home for the 3 of us hunting the property, along with our families, and we're heartbroken to lose it.

For what we got, this lease was relatively affordable, and looking at the few current lease listings I've seen at double or more the price, I believe it will be near impossible to find a place we'll be able to afford. My dad is retired and on a fixed income, and I'm not willing to hunt without him.

So, we move forward. Sure, we'll keep our eyes out for a new lease, but I want to have a plan to continue hunting. I'd love some thoughts and input from those of you who are able to hunt somewhat regularly without a lease. Here are some of my thoughts:
  • Texas state draw hunts - we put in for quite a few each year, and can simply apply for more.
  • Stand-by for draw hunts - we do this from time to time, may try for more
  • Public land hunts - I know nothing about this but may be time to explore
  • Make connections with friends and acquaintances who may have opportunities to day or cull hunt
  • "Pay to play" hunts - I'm not terribly excited about this option, but it's there if we want it
  • Out of state hunts - it may be too late for this year, but look into getting some points started out of state. Any good over-the-counter tags still exist?
  • Out of country hunts - Dad keeps talking about driving to Canada to shoot bears. I'd love to hunt moose some day.
  • Fish more - I live in Rockport and miss a lot of time on the water when I'm hunting.

Any other ideas?

Please note - I'm not complaining. We have been blessed with the opportunity to be on some awesome leases over the past 30+ years. While I'm disappointed we won't be able to stay on the current property, I am thankful for the time we've had there.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 04:00 PM   #2
Pedernal
Pope & Young
 
Pedernal's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Del Rio
Hunt In: Amistad
Default

The long lease just ask the east Texas boys about it JK no help here; you got it covered I think. Find you a public place to hunt as it’s a different animal compared to lease hunting.
Pedernal is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 04:06 PM   #3
AntlerCollector
Pope & Young
 
AntlerCollector's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Hunt In: Votaw, Del Rio, Eldorado, Bon Wier
Default

Check the available lease thread on here.
AntlerCollector is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 04:07 PM   #4
goofiefoot
Ten Point
 
goofiefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Hays County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AntlerCollector View Post
Check the available lease thread on here.
I did, and that's where I'm seeing the pricing that tells me we probably won't find an affordable lease.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #5
Dr. Evil
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Leon Springs, Tx
Hunt In: Searching
Default

Have they leased the place out yet? I'd be interested in checking it out. Can you send me the info in a PM? Sorry if this sounds cold, but I've been searching for a place like this for 3 years. Thanks
Dr. Evil is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 04:22 PM   #6
Big Lee
Ten Point
 
Big Lee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2014
Location: TX
Hunt In: Central Texas
Default

Can you send details on the new cost for the lease?

Sent from my SM-A515U using Tapatalk
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 04:25 PM   #7
goofiefoot
Ten Point
 
goofiefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Hays County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Evil View Post
Have they leased the place out yet? I'd be interested in checking it out. Can you send me the info in a PM? Sorry if this sounds cold, but I've been searching for a place like this for 3 years. Thanks
Yeah, there's going to be a corporate lease moving in on the whole ranch. We were given the option to continue to hunt on our small chunk, but at a much higher price, and limited access. We can't do it, so that lease will take over our chunk as well.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 04:49 PM   #8
Briar Friar
Pope & Young
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
Yeah, there's going to be a corporate lease moving in on the whole ranch. We were given the option to continue to hunt on our small chunk, but at a much higher price, and limited access. We can't do it, so that lease will take over our chunk as well.
What was the old cost and new cost? What is/was/will the corporate lease be paying? Im no leaser… just curious on land lease economics.

Ive got kiddos coming of age where depending on their level of interest Ill be putting in for TPWD youth draw hunts.

Good luck on the new hunting endeavor MrFoot.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 04:52 PM   #9
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young
 
S-3 Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sisterdale
Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie
Default

IMO the NR out of state is a bust , Idaho, Montana Wyoming,Hate nonresident hunters and are canceling PP’s , Colorado is tipping towards shutting out OTC NR
Apply for every state hunt ( deer ,turkeyo, exotic, mulie) and spread it out as a group with multiple friends and family ,

When looking for a Texas lease don’t jerk around, if it’s right have cash in hand ( never say I need to ask my buddy, wife , dad !! That is saying no to a landlord)

Draw a circle on a map your willing to drive and then draw a maybe zone ,
Work every angle with friends and friends of friends on culls and does who might have a future offer

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-14-2022 at 05:11 PM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 05:08 PM   #10
goofiefoot
Ten Point
 
goofiefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Hays County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
What was the old cost and new cost? What is/was/will the corporate lease be paying? Im no leaser… just curious on land lease economics.

Ive got kiddos coming of age where depending on their level of interest Ill be putting in for TPWD youth draw hunts.

Good luck on the new hunting endeavor MrFoot.
I won't disclose what we were paying, and I have no idea what the corporation's lease will be. We hunt a 400 acre chunk of a much larger (3500+ ac) ranch, and we've been there 7 years without any price increase. My understanding is the corporation wants it all, so that leads me to believe they'll be paying much more per acre than we currently are. Being that it's about an hour from both Austin and San Antonio, and has the river running through it, the worth is as much as anyone is willing to pay.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 05:15 PM   #11
goofiefoot
Ten Point
 
goofiefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Hays County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by S-3 Ranch View Post
IMO the NR out of state is a bust , Idaho, Montana Wyoming,Hate nonresident hunters and are canceling PP’s , Colorado is tipping towards shutting out OTC NR
Apply for every state hunt ( deer ,turkeyo, exotic, mulie) and spread it out as a group with multiple friends and family ,

When looking for a Texas lease don’t jerk around, if it’s right have cash in hand ( never say I need to ask my buddy, wife , dad !! That is saying no to a landlord)

Draw a circle on a map your willing to drive and then draw a maybe zone ,
Work every angle with friends and friends of friends on culls and does
We hunted a couple of years in northern Idaho in the mid 2000s. We went up there for bear and were able to purchase the NR bear tag online beforehand. When we got there, we simply walked into a store and purchased an archery elk tag. My understanding is that type of hunt strategy is not near as straightforward nowadays.

If another lease opportunity drops in our lap, we'll certainly consider it, and yes, we've always gone in with the ability to jump on the right place.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 05:37 PM   #12
KGreene
Six Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Hunt In: Hopkins County
Default

We ended up buying 42 acres of bottom land to hunt. You can still get lucky every now and then and find something that can never be developed. With the prices people pay to lease you could be buying.
KGreene is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 05:49 PM   #13
Texas Grown
Pope & Young
 
Texas Grown's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Burleson, Texas
Default

Don't rule out Day hunts. Lots of good places out there offering different amenities with each. You could plan your former annual lease cost down to a few different day hunts. And still put in for public land hunts.
Texas Grown is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 05:54 PM   #14
skinsfan
Ten Point
 
skinsfan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2015
Location: Riviera
Hunt In: Kennedy/Medina County
Default

I sure wish you would share what you were paying! I have also been priced out at the deer lease game, fortunate enough to have a customer who let me out a little piece of land here close to home. I have always been intrigued by the economics of deer leases though!
skinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 06:03 PM   #15
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young
 
S-3 Ranch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: Sisterdale
Hunt In: Sisterdale, Barnhart , presidio , tiviolie
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Grown View Post
Don't rule out Day hunts. Lots of good places out there offering different amenities with each. You could plan your former annual lease cost down to a few different day hunts. And still put in for public land hunts.
Yep , some one might talk the boss into it’s a drought year and we need to thin out some does and culls with a couple of “ guest “
Because our hunters don’t have enough tags and it turns out boss man , gets a opening for the next year

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-14-2022 at 06:10 PM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 06:06 PM   #16
Hoss163
Pope & Young
 
Hoss163's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Abilene tx
Hunt In: Coleman Tx , Melvin Tx And SW Oklahoma
Default

Yeah good leases are definitely hard to find . And good affordable leases are even harder to find good luck finding something
Hoss163 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 06:29 PM   #17
bcmuzzy
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Some where Texas
Hunt In: Grayson county/ Oklahoma
Default

I’m sure glad I went ahead and bought a place.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bcmuzzy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 06:43 PM   #18
andre3k
Six Point
 
andre3k's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2016
Location: Spring
Hunt In: Burkeville
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KGreene View Post
We ended up buying 42 acres of bottom land to hunt. You can still get lucky every now and then and find something that can never be developed. With the prices people pay to lease you could be buying.
This.

I stopped looking for leases and bought my own place.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk
andre3k is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 07:20 PM   #19
HogCommander
Four Point
 
HogCommander's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2018
Default

OP,
I had to live in Maryland for 7 years...the one thing I miss about it is the hunting opportunity. Lots of public land, long season for archery (almost 5 months), no lottery for tags and incredible bag limits (2 antlered, 35 antlerless all seasons combined in Region B). Lots of deer due to shrinking number of hunters over time. They also have sika deer in some areas.

Didn't care for their rules limiting hunting on Sundays or rifles with bottleneck cases but what can you do?

Good look finding a place to hunt!
HogCommander is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 08:16 PM   #20
jbonney1986
Ten Point
 
jbonney1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rising Star
Hunt In: anywhere I'm invited
Default

Oklahoma public land, hands down! I’ve done it 2 years in a row and had multiple opportunities at real big bucks and huge pieces of public. I think it’s hands down the best way to go. Holler at me if you wanna know more
jbonney1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 08:32 PM   #21
bakin7005
Ten Point
 
bakin7005's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2015
Location: North Richland Hills
Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)
Default

There's no deer in Oklahoma.
When I lost my lease several years ago the wife and I got a travel trailer and parked it on an annual lease at the lake and just fished all the time. Gave up hunting except for draws. The next season a great lease opportunity came open so I snagged it. Eventually sold the trailer because now I hunt all the time! Good luck. Something will come up.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 11:05 PM   #22
James
Ten Point
 
James's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: New Braunfels
Hunt In: Everywhere
Default

More OTC public land in our bordering states then you could hunt a lifetime in for couple hundred bucks with way bigger deer then Wimberley. Can’t sit at a feeder and actually have to hunt but the options are endless outside of Texas.

This will be my first year without a Texas deer lease in 26 years and I cant wait for the challenge without all the Texas lease drama.
James is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 11:11 PM   #23
Briar Friar
Pope & Young
 
Briar Friar's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2015
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbonney1986 View Post
Oklahoma public land, hands down! I’ve done it 2 years in a row and had multiple opportunities at real big bucks and huge pieces of public. I think it’s hands down the best way to go. Holler at me if you wanna know more
Noted…but…
You might consider keeping it to yourself…however well un/known.

Good push MrBonney.
Briar Friar is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 11:21 PM   #24
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Why would anyone pay to hunt tiny Wimberley deer?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 11:22 PM   #25
Burntorange Bowhunter
Pope & Young
 
Burntorange Bowhunter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Wimberley
Hunt In: San Saba
Default

Why would you not tell people what you paid on an old lease?

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
Burntorange Bowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-14-2022, 11:50 PM   #26
CTR0022
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Default

How old is your dad and can he physically keep up with hunting public out west or in neighboring states? If being successful is important to you, public land hunting takes alot of time and dedication. If your content with just being out there, then all the options you listed will work.

Since you live in Rockport, assuming you have a boat and can consistently put people on fish i recommend trying to trade some hunts for fishing trips. I imagine there are several people on this board that will let you come out to their lease and hunt for a weekend if you agree to take them out fishing for reds, specs, and flounder for a weekend.

Last edited by CTR0022; 03-14-2022 at 11:55 PM.
CTR0022 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 12:48 AM   #27
basschump
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: South Austin
Hunt In: Around TX
Default

The trading fishing for hunting idea is original and smart. Bet there are TBH’ers that would be happy to swap for doe/cull hunts

Of your suggestions- going with friends is preferable.

Standby greatly increases chances at hunting. Just a pain to be present and not draw. Draw odds are brutal.

I’ve hunted NM several times for deer and cow elk. I hunt crappy deer units but can draw a tag on a reasonable frequency. Cow tags have gone from $300 to over $800 since I’ve started hunting NM. Plus the license and travel, it adds up.

Colorado orc elk hunting is difficult without info, experience or local support.

Some great duck hunting at the coast




Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
basschump is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 07:35 AM   #28
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

For what your wanting, time with family and home away from home. Public is an option!…. Just get out of Texas!!!

Pick a state…. Any state (north or east). Get a camper and go. It’s different and cost wise to make things apples to apples is about the same honestly. There is gear you need and a LOT of lease gear you DONT need.

It can be as relaxing or as challenging as you like.

Draw hunts in Texas have been fun, if drawn of course.

I too miss a lease every now and then…. But quickly see the massive positives I’ve gained stepping away
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 07:49 AM   #29
cva34
Ten Point
 
cva34's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: van vleck
Hunt In: LOOKING
Default

I know your PAIN!!!
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 08:26 AM   #30
OleTomTalker
Ten Point
 
OleTomTalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Victoria
Hunt In: backyard
Default

Maybe a thought of a little different path but I suggest looking at volunteering for some organizations like TYHP (Texas Youth Hunting Program). I find just as much enjoyment in hunts a lot of times that I'm not even the one pulling the trigger. Have been to some really cool parts of the state on some incredible ranches and met some awesome people along the way. Something can do with your dad and include the family too.

Just something a little different to consider.
OleTomTalker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 08:39 AM   #31
Bowanta
Ten Point
 
Bowanta's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Yoakum, Texas
Hunt In: Looking in Texas. Hunt in Franklin (Unit 11), Kansas
Default

Haven't had a lease in about 5 years. I spend one week in November in Kansas chasing Kansas Whitetails with archery equipment and then do ONE meat hunt form exotics around December or January. In the long run it is cost effective.
BUT, I do miss the Lease experience and sharing a fire with fellow hunters....
Bowanta is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 08:40 AM   #32
jbonney1986
Ten Point
 
jbonney1986's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Rising Star
Hunt In: anywhere I'm invited
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Briar Friar View Post
Noted…but…
You might consider keeping it to yourself…however well un/known.

Good push MrBonney.
Why would I keep it to myself? That’s what it’s all about, spreading the wealth and helping each other out. There’s plenty out there for more than just me. I’m not that guy, I want others to enjoy and reap the benefits of these types of things
jbonney1986 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 08:48 AM   #33
30-30
Pope & Young
 
30-30's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Tomball
Hunt In: Hopkins County
Default

There’s walk-in public hunting here in Texas; just not a lot of it. Starting in August, you can buy the $48 “annual public hunting permit” along with your license, and TPWD will send you the public hunting lands map booklet. You can also Google/download this past year’s. Each wildlife management area has its own seasons and bag limits. There are many more opportunities for dove and pigs than anything else, though a number of properties do allow archery deer hunting. Very few allow walk-in rifle hunting for deer.
30-30 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 10:30 AM   #34
goofiefoot
Ten Point
 
goofiefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Hays County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Burntorange Bowhunter View Post
Why would anyone pay to hunt tiny Wimberley deer?
Funny enough, we had some sizable deer on our property. Most of our bucks dressed out well over 100 pounds.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTR0022 View Post
How old is your dad and can he physically keep up with hunting public out west or in neighboring states? If being successful is important to you, public land hunting takes alot of time and dedication. If your content with just being out there, then all the options you listed will work.

Since you live in Rockport, assuming you have a boat and can consistently put people on fish i recommend trying to trade some hunts for fishing trips. I imagine there are several people on this board that will let you come out to their lease and hunt for a weekend if you agree to take them out fishing for reds, specs, and flounder for a weekend.
My dad will be 70 this year, and is in better shape than me. He keeps saying he wants to do some bigger hunts "before he gets too old". I'd love to do some spot and stalk mountain hunting with him, rifle or archery.

I kayak fish down here in Rockport. I've considered buying a boat, but hasn't happened yet. The upkeep and storage costs make me nervous. I do like the idea of trading out hunts for fishing, so something to consider!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Low Fence View Post
For what your wanting, time with family and home away from home. Public is an option!…. Just get out of Texas!!!

Pick a state…. Any state (north or east). Get a camper and go. It’s different and cost wise to make things apples to apples is about the same honestly. There is gear you need and a LOT of lease gear you DONT need.

It can be as relaxing or as challenging as you like.

Draw hunts in Texas have been fun, if drawn of course.

I too miss a lease every now and then…. But quickly see the massive positives I’ve gained stepping away
I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on this!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OleTomTalker View Post
Maybe a thought of a little different path but I suggest looking at volunteering for some organizations like TYHP (Texas Youth Hunting Program). I find just as much enjoyment in hunts a lot of times that I'm not even the one pulling the trigger. Have been to some really cool parts of the state on some incredible ranches and met some awesome people along the way. Something can do with your dad and include the family too.

Just something a little different to consider.
That is a fantastic suggestion! I'll look into it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 30-30 View Post
There’s walk-in public hunting here in Texas; just not a lot of it. Starting in August, you can buy the $48 “annual public hunting permit” along with your license, and TPWD will send you the public hunting lands map booklet. You can also Google/download this past year’s. Each wildlife management area has its own seasons and bag limits. There are many more opportunities for dove and pigs than anything else, though a number of properties do allow archery deer hunting. Very few allow walk-in rifle hunting for deer.
Thanks for the info!

As far as those asking about what I'm paying for a lease, I'd simply rather not share that info. We are still leasing the property through August, and I feel it's a private affair through that time. I will say it's more than we've ever paid for a lease, by quite a large margin, but we've felt it was worth the cost for everything we have access to.

I appreciate all the information and ideas. Who knows - maybe we'll find another lease. Maybe we'll enjoy the "freedom" of not being tied to a single property. Maybe this will lead to new passions and interests. We're keeping our minds open.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 11:19 AM   #35
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
Funny enough, we had some sizable deer on our property. Most of our bucks dressed out well over 100 pounds.



My dad will be 70 this year, and is in better shape than me. He keeps saying he wants to do some bigger hunts "before he gets too old". I'd love to do some spot and stalk mountain hunting with him, rifle or archery.

I kayak fish down here in Rockport. I've considered buying a boat, but hasn't happened yet. The upkeep and storage costs make me nervous. I do like the idea of trading out hunts for fishing, so something to consider!



I'd like to hear more of your thoughts on this!



That is a fantastic suggestion! I'll look into it!



Thanks for the info!

As far as those asking about what I'm paying for a lease, I'd simply rather not share that info. We are still leasing the property through August, and I feel it's a private affair through that time. I will say it's more than we've ever paid for a lease, by quite a large margin, but we've felt it was worth the cost for everything we have access to.

I appreciate all the information and ideas. Who knows - maybe we'll find another lease. Maybe we'll enjoy the "freedom" of not being tied to a single property. Maybe this will lead to new passions and interests. We're keeping our minds open.
There’s a lot to be desired to “having a place” leases or owned. But not for me. I’m against the own it for hunting. I’ll never own enough property to be content. Give me 10k acres and I’d be bored with it in a few years.

I actively hunt over 250k acres a year combined for less than $1k a year. And even in the limited time I get to hunt them I see better quality deer than most do on free range “leased land”

It’s a challenge that I enjoy. I’ve been blessed to have taken a lot of deer, so “killing a deer” ain’t where I am personally (everyone is different). I’m after deer my pocketbook can’t afford any other way. It’s tough out there due to YouTubers and hunting forums. But for me the value is public…. Outside of Texas. Other than draws… and even there, the ultra increased entries and age class being taken “cause it’s an xyz buck” make it more justified for out of state for MY style and phase of life

Find a property now anywhere and go check it out. Set a few long weekend on the calendar and go!…. No feeders to fill, corn to buy, coons to kill, hogs are everywhere but not concentrated to a bait pile to ruin deer hunting. No need to scout all pre season…. Cause they are where you find them. Different places at different times of year. You may not see a deer all week…. Or you may see 50+ a day

At the price of owning huntable land. Lol. I could go to the king ranch and poach a buck… turn my self in and pay fines… every year of my life and come out cheaper than owning, taxes, developing it…. So my neighbors can kill “that cull 8”
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 11:39 AM   #36
frios
Six Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Default

hilarious thread.
so many opinions.

I'm sure everyone just made this guy mind befuddled. hahaha
frios is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 12:04 PM   #37
RedYote
Four Point
 
RedYote's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2021
Location: Lubbock
Hunt In: Texas
Default

The key to public land is not going during hunting season. Go camping, hiking and fishing in the off season. You don’t have to worry about getting shot and most of those “hunting” trips are camping trips anyway. Pretty cheap also.
RedYote is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 12:15 PM   #38
cmeadors
Eight Point
 
cmeadors's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: All Over
Default

start duck hunting... you live on the water
cmeadors is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 12:16 PM   #39
Kdog
Pope & Young
 
Kdog's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Garden Ridge, TX
Hunt In: Kinney County, TX/Wisconsin/New Mexico
Default

Out of state opportunities or maybe public land hunting in Texas if it has to be closer to home. I would look into elk or mule deer hunting in nearby states.
Kdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 12:28 PM   #40
mooch
Ten Point
 
mooch's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeadors View Post
start duck hunting... you live on the water

This. Lots of great duck hunting in your backyard. One of the most fun and addicting forms of hunting there is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
mooch is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 04:05 PM   #41
Iowa1210
Four Point
 
Join Date: Mar 2022
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch View Post
This. Lots of great duck hunting in your backyard. One of the most fun and addicting forms of hunting there is.


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I leased for 30 years and had some great leases. I quit leasing 10 years ago and don't miss it. Since retiring last year I thought I would try again, found a place close to the house and hunted it all bow season and the 1st week of gun enjoyed it but realized leasing was not for me anymore. I will stick to hunting Iowa and draw hunts and maybe some standby. It's funny how in my younger days I would think once I retire I would hunt every day during hunting season and now I am satisfied with the few days I get outdoors.

Sent from my Pixel 5a using Tapatalk
Iowa1210 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-15-2022, 07:09 PM   #42
dfkoon
Ten Point
 
dfkoon's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Headed West - California
Hunt In: That's to be figured out
Default

I left my lease last season. Interested in what comes out of this post as well.

I'll miss the comradery that sometimes existed - won't miss the drama. Public leasing is likely to lack comradery and a quick place to get to in the middle of the night to enjoy for the weekend.

More bird hunting. More hunting smaller sections that are available. But I do like large area to hunt. I need to spend a bit more time looking at options.
dfkoon is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2022, 11:40 AM   #43
Boss Buck
Pope & Young
 
Boss Buck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Nevada Tx.
Hunt In: Stephen Co.
Default

You can still hunt that lease. Just don’t get caught. Makes hunting a lot more interesting. Just funding. Suck when these thing happen. Good luck with your search. That way I went back to fishing.
Boss Buck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2022, 12:31 PM   #44
goofiefoot
Ten Point
 
goofiefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Hays County
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by frios View Post
hilarious thread.
so many opinions.

I'm sure everyone just made this guy mind befuddled. hahaha
Man, I asked for opinions, and I got them. I'm definitely thankful, not befuddled. Yes, there are a lot of options, and now I have a whole list of them to choose from!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmeadors View Post
start duck hunting... you live on the water
Yes! I will definitely be getting out during duck season. I want to turn my kayak into a mobile duck blind next season.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkoon View Post
I left my lease last season. Interested in what comes out of this post as well.

I'll miss the comradery that sometimes existed - won't miss the drama. Public leasing is likely to lack comradery and a quick place to get to in the middle of the night to enjoy for the weekend.

More bird hunting. More hunting smaller sections that are available. But I do like large area to hunt. I need to spend a bit more time looking at options.
We had 3 folks on this lease. My dad, his best friend (my godfather), and me. No real drama, just camaraderie. My godfather passed away in August last year, so his son took his place, and we had a great season with good fellowship and reminiscing. We will look for more opportunities to hunt together elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boss Buck View Post
You can still hunt that lease. Just don’t get caught. Makes hunting a lot more interesting. Just funding. Suck when these thing happen. Good luck with your search. That way I went back to fishing.
This made me laugh! I appreciate the encouragement!
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2022, 01:31 PM   #45
justletmein
Pope & Young
 
justletmein's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: San Antonio \ POC
Hunt In: Public lands
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
We just learned that we're losing our deer lease in Wimberley this year. Well, we're getting priced out of it - we did have a choice to stay on, with much more limited access, and a 75% price increase. So, yeah, we're losing our lease.

We've leased this piece of property for 7 years, and it's an amazing spot. Year-round availability, cabin with electricity, river access, and a decent amount of deer, pigs, and turkey. We've even taken a few exotics. This has been a home away from home for the 3 of us hunting the property, along with our families, and we're heartbroken to lose it.

For what we got, this lease was relatively affordable, and looking at the few current lease listings I've seen at double or more the price, I believe it will be near impossible to find a place we'll be able to afford. My dad is retired and on a fixed income, and I'm not willing to hunt without him.

So, we move forward. Sure, we'll keep our eyes out for a new lease, but I want to have a plan to continue hunting. I'd love some thoughts and input from those of you who are able to hunt somewhat regularly without a lease. Here are some of my thoughts:
  • Texas state draw hunts - we put in for quite a few each year, and can simply apply for more.
  • Stand-by for draw hunts - we do this from time to time, may try for more
  • Public land hunts - I know nothing about this but may be time to explore
  • Make connections with friends and acquaintances who may have opportunities to day or cull hunt
  • "Pay to play" hunts - I'm not terribly excited about this option, but it's there if we want it
  • Out of state hunts - it may be too late for this year, but look into getting some points started out of state. Any good over-the-counter tags still exist?
  • Out of country hunts - Dad keeps talking about driving to Canada to shoot bears. I'd love to hunt moose some day.
  • Fish more - I live in Rockport and miss a lot of time on the water when I'm hunting.

Any other ideas?

Please note - I'm not complaining. We have been blessed with the opportunity to be on some awesome leases over the past 30+ years. While I'm disappointed we won't be able to stay on the current property, I am thankful for the time we've had there.
There are no GOOD OTC out of state tags, but there are good hunts if you enjoy the experience. New Mexico draw application deadline is TODAY I believe, and Colorado comes up next month so plenty of time there.

Sounds like you're already on top of the TPWD stuff.

If you guys want to switch gears it can be fun to take up duck hunting on public down on the coast.
justletmein is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-16-2022, 02:41 PM   #46
Low Fence
Pope & Young
 
Low Fence's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Quitman, Tx.
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfkoon View Post
I left my lease last season. Interested in what comes out of this post as well.

I'll miss the comradery that sometimes existed - won't miss the drama. Public leasing is likely to lack comradery and a quick place to get to in the middle of the night to enjoy for the weekend.

More bird hunting. More hunting smaller sections that are available. But I do like large area to hunt. I need to spend a bit more time looking at options.
Funny thing for me, I started out of state with a group of my friends in 01’. In 04’ we meet a group of guys that were the loudest bunch we ever met. I was in my early 20’s and they were from there to 5+ my senior. After 2 days of hearing them in camp I told our group we were either gonna fight them or join them….. 18 years later they are all my closest friends and I don’t know where any of my original group is. Lol it’s a big event every year “when Texas comes to town”. I stay at their houses with my own rooms and meals are cooked. Lol Who would’ve thunk it. They come and hunt with me every year as well. And I learned more from them than I would have being a “lease hunter”. The reason I don’t believe in Big Foot, is cause they ain’t killed one. Lol

Life is an adventure
Low Fence is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 02:43 PM   #47
goofiefoot
Ten Point
 
goofiefoot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Rockport, TX
Hunt In: Hays County
Default

The 3 of us met up out at the lease this weekend to hang out and discuss next steps. If we don't find another lease, we have a TON of stuff out there to deal with - blinds, feeders, equipment, and supplies that we don't really have any place to store. We put together a price list, in case the incoming leasers want to buy them off us (the ideal situation).

My dad is still holding out hope to find another lease. He simply wants a place to go when he has free time (which is often since he's now retired), and would love to have a place we can both hunt with my daughter as she grows up. He will keep searching - driving around to areas we'd like to hunt and meet folks, put up notices, and keep an eye out for potential places. I'd love for that to work out, so I'll hope right along with him.
goofiefoot is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 04:29 PM   #48
djc
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Richardson
Hunt In: ???
Default

We lost our lease about 4 years ago, when the owner sold the property. I searched for a decent lease the first year to no avail. Ended up selling my camper and blinds. And have been doing day leases since. Doe hunts, and hog hunts are pretty cheap. And I stumbled into a bison cow hunt that was really cheap. I really miss going to a lease though, and would like to find a decent one again.
djc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 07:48 PM   #49
Benno
Eight Point
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by goofiefoot View Post
The 3 of us met up out at the lease this weekend to hang out and discuss next steps. If we don't find another lease, we have a TON of stuff out there to deal with - blinds, feeders, equipment, and supplies that we don't really have any place to store. We put together a price list, in case the incoming leasers want to buy them off us (the ideal situation).

My dad is still holding out hope to find another lease. He simply wants a place to go when he has free time (which is often since he's now retired), and would love to have a place we can both hunt with my daughter as she grows up. He will keep searching - driving around to areas we'd like to hunt and meet folks, put up notices, and keep an eye out for potential places. I'd love for that to work out, so I'll hope right along with him.
I know it’s been suggested above but in your situation why not buy? You don’t have to purchase 1000acres to get enjoyment out of it. Doubt you’ll find affordable river front, but you could get a whole lot of enjoyment out of the right 40/50 acre place. I hunt several places, all small tracts, but built a small camp house on 40acres and spend a heck of a lot of my free time there with dad and kids. Sometimes just relaxing, most of the time maintaining the place which I also find relaxing and the value will always increase and no way to lose the lease. Just my 2cents which is worth about what you’re paying for it.
Benno is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-27-2022, 08:21 PM   #50
louieagarcia
Pope & Young
 
louieagarcia's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Kingwood, Tx
Hunt In: Planet Earth
Default

Make friends.....make lots of friends with deer leases or hunting properties
louieagarcia is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:06 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com