Let's raise some quail!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by WesTex1 View Post
    I’m seriously thinking about raising meat quail as well, we have got into the meat chicken game and processed 39 last night [emoji50]
    Cornish cross?

Comment

Video update...

Birds are getting big very quick. ready for their new cages soon.

Comment

Gettin big. Thanks for the update.

Comment

Starting to look like quail poppers.

Comment

They're really looking good.

Comment

Finished up the cage. Had to go back and put wire on the poop tray supports to keep rodents from going underneath the trays and dropping down into the cages below.

That was a pain in the butt since I already had it assembled. Also put a quick roof on with some leftover materials I had from a rabbit cage build. Not 100% happy with it but it should do ok since it will kind of be under a porch ledge outside.

Just need to paint the roof supports. Quail are getting big and we will probably have to split them into two brooders for the next week or two until they move into their new home.

For you guys that raise quail, how old are they before you move them out of the brooder and onto wire?

Comment

You're ready to go. As to your question. About 95% feathered out and for cool, not cold, weather I put a heat lamp in there and protect from the wind.

Comment

making my stomach growl!

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
                    Cornish cross?

Yes sir

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Rubberdown View Post
                      *** is going on in that fridge? I have never seem that many chickens in a fridge.

We let them chill for a couple of days in a fridge before we freeze them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

need some to train some pups

Comment

Inspired by your thread here guys. I ordered 75 eggs this week. Need to buy an incubator, build a cage, brooder etc. Thanks for posting this!

Comment

I have raised quail several times but have never been able to make them come out as cheap as just raising meat chickens because of feed costs. They are also more work intensive and can not be free ranged for any of the growth period. Same with rabbits. Chicken is just more cost effective in my experience. That being said quail or a lot of fun to raise. JMHO

Comment

If your hutch is up against the house you might relocate it. Even with cleaning, there’s going to be an odor

Comment

How are you going to keep the coons and possum and feral cats away?

Comment

Working...
                                X