Reply
Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > The Other Side of the Ranch (Firearms)
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-28-2022, 08:37 PM   #1
huntandfishguy6
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Default Gunsmith in Beaumont

Is there anyone in the Beaumont area that is a real gunsmith ? I used Gary Dean for years, but he is no longer with us. I'm not interested in Hawn's i haven't used them in thirty years. What i have is a simple project disassemble a Ithaca model 37 and clean it.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-28-2022, 08:55 PM   #2
WTucker
Ten Point
 
WTucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orangefield
Hunt In: Harper, TX and Sour Lake, TX
Default

You could try Ray Perry in bridge city. I think he mostly does rifles though.
WTucker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 09:37 PM   #3
mavrick
Ten Point
 
mavrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tarkington
Default

Is the guy still operating out of the saw shop?
mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-29-2022, 09:51 PM   #4
WTucker
Ten Point
 
WTucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orangefield
Hunt In: Harper, TX and Sour Lake, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mavrick View Post
Is the guy still operating out of the saw shop?
I forgot about him...the saw shop shut down. Ken Lloyd was the gunsmith there. Now he is currently working out of Lone Star Gun Range between Beaumont and Lumberton.
WTucker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:12 PM   #5
xman59
Pope & Young
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
Is there anyone in the Beaumont area that is a real gunsmith ? I used Gary Dean for years, but he is no longer with us. I'm not interested in Hawn's i haven't used them in thirty years. What i have is a simple project disassemble a Ithaca model 37 and clean it.
i would recommend ken at lone star,, he is very good,,,, i too will never go back to Hawn's..
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 09-30-2022, 08:19 PM   #6
huntandfishguy6
Ten Point
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Default

From the minor research i did Ken Lloyd has a good reputation.
huntandfishguy6 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-01-2022, 11:48 PM   #7
mavrick
Ten Point
 
mavrick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Tarkington
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntandfishguy6 View Post
From the minor research i did Ken Lloyd has a good reputation.
He built a rifle for me. It is a great shooter. Really easy to work with.
mavrick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 02:37 AM   #8
6.5 shooter
Ten Point
 
6.5 shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
You could try Ray Perry in bridge city. I think he mostly does rifles though.
Man, Ray is one of the best of the best. Unfortunately, heís like 90 now and isnít taking anymore work. Wish I had him build a few more for me back in the day.
6.5 shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 07:20 AM   #9
WTucker
Ten Point
 
WTucker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2016
Location: Orangefield
Hunt In: Harper, TX and Sour Lake, TX
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6.5 shooter View Post
Man, Ray is one of the best of the best. Unfortunately, heís like 90 now and isnít taking anymore work. Wish I had him build a few more for me back in the day.
I didnít realize that. He worked on a rifle for me about 2 years ago and that was the last time I saw him. He is a really knowledgeable guy, and his trophy room is quite impressive.
WTucker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 10-02-2022, 12:15 PM   #10
6.5 shooter
Ten Point
 
6.5 shooter's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: San Antonio
Hunt In: Montell, Hondo, Laredo
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by WTucker View Post
I didnít realize that. He worked on a rifle for me about 2 years ago and that was the last time I saw him. He is a really knowledgeable guy, and his trophy room is quite impressive.
He was the read deal hunter back in the day, all open space or low fence kills.
6.5 shooter is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:15 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.11
Copyright ©2000 - 2022, vBulletin Solutions Inc.
Copyright 1999-2012, TexasBowhunter.com