I did something new- podcast.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A few upcoming topics...

There will be a professional hunter from Mozambique. An Aggie Professor who is doing a study on ling. My buddy Chris Caldwell will be on to talk about fishing with Corkies and big trout stuff. Michael Kubecka will be on to talk about offshore fishing and his new offshore boat and focus. Looks like there will be one on cooking fish and game with an executive chef from somehwere or other, I can't remember the specifics on that one. Also a biologist with TPWD who is working with the flounder program/study at Sea Center. And I am sure another guide or two in the mix and some BBQ stuff too.

Lots of variety.

Comment

I listened to Bink’s today, I thought it was good. Production was good for him being new at it IMO.

Only thing I was disappointed in was Bink not telling what guide it was that almost ran him over three times!!!

Comment

He won't say and neither will I but anyone who has fished West Matagorda much at all has had him run over them. I literally was almost hit by him a couple years ago while fishing a group from the Bellville/Brenham area. I was wading waist to belly deep on the grass beds at the pipeline one morning and he came rolling through on his way fishing. As he usually does and has done for decades he was running right down the grass beds. He was looking at some of my guys who were up wading shallow and did not see me. He was literally bearing straight down on me at 35 mph. I was trying to decide how to time it to dive to the bottom to maybe somehow not die. I was waving my arms screaming at him as he closed in and there was about an 80 year old man sitting on the seat in front of his console who finally saw me and I saw him stand up and yell at him and he jerked the wheel just in time running right by me way plenty close for me to cuss him for all I was worth. He came incredibly close to running me over. I could have probably hit his boat with my rod tip as he went by. One of the scariest things I have ever experienced. And he is an old guide who is well known for wading West Matagorda Bay and who has guided as long as anyone who is still at it. I was super angry and was gonna catch him at the dock but the guy is old, not in good health anymore and he isn't ever going to change anyway. I wouldn't have felt good even giving him a cussing much less anything else. Wouldn't change a thing anyway. He knows very well who I am. He knew my boat. That rascal ducked me for months and never did apologize or anything. Pretty disappointing.

Here is a good lesson for folks who fish WMB. If you'll run deep and fish shallow you won't have to worry about hitting waders. If you run your boat out in 8-10' of water how many waders you reckon you'll see out there? I haven't seen one yet.

Comment

Originally posted by Capt Glenn View Post
          He won't say and neither will I but anyone who has fished West Matagorda much at all has had him run over them. I literally was almost hit by him a couple years ago while fishing a group from the Bellville/Brenham area. I was wading waist to belly deep on the grass beds at the pipeline one morning and he came rolling through on his way fishing. As he usually does and has done for decades he was running right down the grass beds. He was looking at some of my guys who were up wading shallow and did not see me. He was literally bearing straight down on me at 35 mph. I was trying to decide how to time it to dive to the bottom to maybe somehow not die. I was waving my arms screaming at him as he closed in and there was about an 80 year old man sitting on the seat in front of his console who finally saw me and I saw him stand up and yell at him and he jerked the wheel just in time running right by me way plenty close for me to cuss him for all I was worth. He came incredibly close to running me over. I could have probably hit his boat with my rod tip as he went by. One of the scariest things I have ever experienced. And he is an old guide who is well known for wading West Matagorda Bay and who has guided as long as anyone who is still at it. I was super angry and was gonna catch him at the dock but the guy is old, not in good health anymore and he isn't ever going to change anyway. I wouldn't have felt good even giving him a cussing much less anything else. Wouldn't change a thing anyway. He knows very well who I am. He knew my boat. That rascal ducked me for months and never did apologize or anything. Pretty disappointing.

Here is a good lesson for folks who fish WMB. If you'll run deep and fish shallow you won't have to worry about hitting waders. If you run your boat out in 8-10' of water how many waders you reckon you'll see out there? I haven't seen one yet.
          Slow clap.... got you tagged for later. Excited to give it a listen

Comment

I’ll be tuning in on my way to work this morning

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I did something new- podcast.

I have a couple ideas based on age, but if you tell us what boat you look out for that would be a huge help.

Oh and I found out a few weeks back that Raymond Cox passed back in December.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post

Yeah, very sad about Mr. Cox. I learned alot from him and he shared lots of stories with me over the years. He was one of a kind. When he was really in his prime we both fished some of the same areas a whole bunch. I was just out of the Navy and thought I knew what I was doing and I was all about catching redfish. But I fished around him and saw how he fished and slowly understood the why as well as the how. I picked his brain every chance I got and picked up lots of valuable nuggets of info from those conversations that I still use today. He forgot more about redfish than most people will ever know. I think back and there I was, a snot nosed know it all without a clue and he was always nice to me and would always visit with me every time I ran into him. I hope some day someone thinks of me that way.

He went to high school with another mentor of mine who I fished and hunted with for many years. That is how I got to know Mr. Cox. The guys from their high school class use to get together and have a little tournament every year. Just a fun deal. I use to take a group of guys fishing for them in that tournament every year. The dead last losers of the tournament got to fish with Mr. Cox the next year and then would win. He won it every year. I'd often get close but he always beat me. A number of those guys aren't with us anymore and more are fading fast.

Comment

Yeah, very sad about Mr. Cox. I learned alot from him and he shared lots of stories with me over the years. He was one of a kind. When he was really in his prime we both fished some of the same areas a whole bunch. I was just out of the Navy and thought I knew what I was doing and I was all about catching redfish. But I fished around him and saw how he fished and slowly understood the why as well as the how. I picked his brain every chance I got and picked up lots of valuable nuggets of info from those conversations that I still use today. He forgot more about redfish than most people will ever know. I think back and there I was, a snot nosed know it all without a clue and he was always nice to me and would always visit with me every time I ran into him. I hope some day someone thinks of me that way.

He went to high school with another mentor of mine who I fished and hunted with for many years. That is how I got to know Mr. Cox. The guys from their high school class use to get together and have a little tournament every year. Just a fun deal. I use to take a group of guys fishing for them in that tournament every year. The dead last losers of the tournament got to fish with Mr. Cox the next year and then would win. He won it every year. I'd often get close but he always beat me. A number of those guys aren't with us anymore and more are fading fast.

That’s great.

I fished with him a few years back in the Shriners tournament and although I didn’t enjoy soaking dead mullet, I did enjoy getting to know him and hearing his stories.

My buddies company hired him every year for the Shriners and that how I found out he passed. They hired Marty this year.

Comment

You did good Glenn. Liked it!

Comment

Marty will do good for them.

It may not be what we like to do but there is no better way to catch redfish consistently day in and day out.

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                        You did good Glenn. Liked it!
                        Thank you David.

Comment

Marty will do good for them.

It may not be what we like to do but there is no better way to catch redfish consistently day in and day out.

We caught fish, but I’m a lure guy so after about a few hours I was bored to death. The other 3 people had fun though.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
                            I have a couple ideas based on age, but if you tell us what boat you look out for that would be a huge help.

I got a decent idea as well. My dad had a few run ins with a guide down there back in the day.

. I picked his brain every chance I got and picked up lots of valuable nuggets of info from those conversations that I still use today. He forgot more about redfish than most people will ever know. I think back and there I was, a snot nosed know it all without a clue and he was always nice to me and would always visit with me every time I ran into him. I hope some day someone thinks of me that way.

I believe more than you know think that way already. I know you have helped me on more than one occasion.

Some of the newer guides could stand to sit back and listen to the old salts and not rely on like social media posts

Comment

Yeah, I don't really like fishing that way either. I do it on occasion but I can't do it all day. Sometimes we go catch trout early and then spend a couple hours soaking mullet heads on the mud flats. Or if it's really good we reverse that and go knock out reds quick and then go look for trout. But a couple hours of that is about all I can take. It makes for a very long day.

Comment

Originally posted by Quackerbox View Post
                                I believe more than you know think that way already. I know you have helped me on more than one occasion.
                                Thank you, that is very kind. I try to keep things like that in mind with the way I treat people. I'm not perfect by any means. Lord knows I have my moments.

Comment

Working...
                                X