Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 06-30-2019, 07:40 PM   #1
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.
Default You’re getting old when......

You’ve got some time on your hands driving through the “country”, decide to go a little out of your way to drive by a piece of ground you used to hunt back in the day to find an elementary school in the front hay meadow and houses where you’re feeder used to stand. Very strange feeling for me, cause this place used to be out in the sticks. But not anymore!
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 07:44 PM   #2
Eastwood
Six Point

You know you’re getting up there when you can say “ I remember when this was all fields “. My kids will go to a school that stands on land their great grandfather plowed with mules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Eastwood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 07:57 PM   #3
mrc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Young and Jack

Yep there is a WalMart where I used to run the creek and fish.
mrc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 07:58 PM   #4
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

Yep
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 08:06 PM   #5
WalkieTalkie
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Yep. Used to dove hunt in a field off Spurlock Rd in Nederland TX.. All subdivision now
WalkieTalkie is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 08:11 PM   #6
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Hunt In: San Saba

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eastwood View Post
You know you’re getting up there when you can say “ I remember when this was all fields “. My kids will go to a school that stands on land their great grandfather plowed with mules.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
I was just driving and told my daughter a whole are at he size of a small city was all woods and not even roads.

You know you're old when the oldest Google Earth pics are 15-20 years newer than you remember (which is around 1990 btw)
RiverRat1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
bow4my2
Pope & Young

I hate developers. Buying my time till Alaska!
bow4my2 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 08:21 PM   #8
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

I live about 6/7 miles from where I lived as a teenager. I didn’t plan it that way, it just happened. Sometimes when I drive the backroads I see where I used to roam as a kid, (didn’t know who owned it-didn’t care, and neither did they), and I see where farmers used to grow watermelons, corn, tomatoes, and the like. All covered in double wides or 30 year old houses now. Time marches on.....
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 08:28 PM   #9
boomerball
Ten Point

my mom has told me about how Northpark mall was built way out on the edge of town
boomerball is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 08:43 PM   #10
Jspradley
Ten Point

Hunt In: Wherever I can

I remember the house I grew up in back in GA being HUGE on a big plot out in the country, shortly before I moved to TX my wife and I were looking at rentals and we ended up at this tiny little 3 bedroom, barely 1000sq feet on a postage stamp suburban lot.

The house seemed really familiar even though it was so small and when we got to the kitchen I realized that was the house I grew up in!!
Jspradley is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 08:44 PM   #11
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Remember when Tanger Outlet Mall on I-35 in San Marcos was in the middle of no where? Tons of woods driving to Austin and San Antonio. All one big city now!

View Google Earth 1995 to see. I bet the city lights view from space has changed a lot also.
Old 06-30-2019, 09:09 PM   #12
glen
Pope & Young

Hunt In: anywhere

I killed many deer in Austin what is now South Park Meadows.
glen is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 09:15 PM   #13
Mudslinger
Pope & Young

Yep, when we moved to Lubbock in 1975, 82nd Street was a dirt road from Wolforth until you hit Indiana. Now it is homes and or business all the way out to Wolforth!

Heck, as a kid I use to dig for arrowheads along Bird Creek in Temple that was supposedly the sight of an Indian burial and battle called the Bird Creek Indian Battle. Now it is basically in the middle of Temple!
Mudslinger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 09:17 PM   #14
glen
Pope & Young

If you yearbook picture was on a stone tablet
Attached Images

Old 06-30-2019, 09:25 PM   #15
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
I surveyed most of that...And that was a long time ago LOL
Old 06-30-2019, 09:47 PM   #16
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

This is the story of my whole hometown. I'm raising my kids in the same town that my grandparents raised my parents....same for my wife's side. However, it isn't nowhere near the same place. I remember being a kid and my dad telling me how much things had changed. Now I tell my kids the same thing, but to an even greater degree. I miss when all we had was Mayer's Grocery and Feed, Sassie's Burgers, Dairy Queen, Foster Food Mart, Bettis Exxon and Milam Gulf Station. There was four-way stop at Hwy 59 and FM1314 and the feeder road was 2-way. We had a volunteer fire department that had fish fries and BBQ lunches. The Pentacostal church had chicken-fried steak dinner every Thursday and would deliver. Spring and Summer was spent at the the ballpark and Porter and New Caney shared a junior high and high school. Everybody knew everybody. It was a great place to be a kid.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 09:49 PM   #17
jdavidson
Associate Sponsor

Hunt In: Webb Co
Default Well

No matter where you sleep tonight...wherever you call home... someone...sometime...hunted,fished or farmed on that spot.
jdavidson is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 10:02 PM   #18
waterdog
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by glen View Post
remember ruby ranch?
waterdog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 06-30-2019, 10:55 PM   #19
Preacher Man
Ten Point

Hunt In: Jasper Co.

I can't quit thinking about that place. Lots of memories. Me and my hunting buddy were getting all geared up for bow season. Lots of excitement, and I blow my right shoulder out (I'm right handed) 3 weeks before the opener. I went anyway just to be in camp and my buddy comes up with this bright idea to put down some hand corn on top of a little pressure ridge. Then we were both going to sit next to a live oak and see what happens when the sun comes up. Right at legal shooting light, maybe a hair before, a doe walks up. We only see her because she is silhouetted against the sky (ok, maybe a little earlier than shooting light than either of us would like to admit).

He's on my right. The doe came out on my left. My buddy is left handed. About a nano second goes by and I hear him whisper "duck". So I did. The arrow went right over me and nailed the doe. We walked back to camp, waited 20 minutes, and tracked her down. Dead as a door nail with a great double lung shot.

Good times.
Preacher Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 02:58 AM   #20
JES
Ten Point

Hunt In: Stonewall County

I got to know this really, really, really old guy. One day we got to talking about where I built my house and he told me he used to poach...I mean hunt deer on my street.

Did I mention this guy was really old? I think he used the term whipper snapper in our conversation...
JES is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 04:47 AM   #21
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Quote:
Originally Posted by curtintex View Post
This is the story of my whole hometown. I'm raising my kids in the same town that my grandparents raised my parents....same for my wife's side. However, it isn't nowhere near the same place. I remember being a kid and my dad telling me how much things had changed. Now I tell my kids the same thing, but to an even greater degree. I miss when all we had was Mayer's Grocery and Feed, Sassie's Burgers, Dairy Queen, Foster Food Mart, Bettis Exxon and Milam Gulf Station. There was four-way stop at Hwy 59 and FM1314 and the feeder road was 2-way. We had a volunteer fire department that had fish fries and BBQ lunches. The Pentacostal church had chicken-fried steak dinner every Thursday and would deliver. Spring and Summer was spent at the the ballpark and Porter and New Caney shared a junior high and high school. Everybody knew everybody. It was a great place to be a kid.
It has sure changed a lot in the 20 years since I graduated high school. The old kroger that is now Harbor Freight is where every party started.

The hood we live is where I killed my first few deer.

The 2 high school thing still kinda trips me out.
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 05:17 AM   #22
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

I remember when Plano only had 2 gas stations, 1 grocery store and half the streets were dirt. The whole town was on the east side of 75. West side was nothing but farm land.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 05:33 AM   #23
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Yep, the woods across from my folks' house in Keller on FM 1709 are now a plastic surgeon's office, an oral surgeon's office, gold course and big fancy houses. Was a horse ranch with lots of wooded area and a creek running through it. We had free run of the place. It was a great place to grow up. The place I used to dove hunt and fish some of the best stock tanks around is now a huge neighborhood. It was a good sized dairy farm. Funny, they named the neighborhood the same thing as the actual dairy farm that used to be in that spot "Crawford Farms", up in north Fort Worth/Keller. Mr. Crawford was the owner/operator of his dairy farm, but was also the counselor at the high school. I was friends with his youngest daughter. We were able to fish any time we wanted. Dove hunting was pretty solid around those stock tanks during dove season. Every time I drive by there, I remember and wonder if the folks that live in Crawford Farms even realize that it actually was "Crawford Farms." I'm told when he finally cut it loose, he sold that place for $11,000,000.00! Wouldn't surprise me at all, it was a good sized chunk of land in a prime spot.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 05:43 AM   #24
Texas8point
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Buffalo and Juno, Texas

I killed my first buck in Helotes, Tx and now there is an apartment complex and pizza hut and other stuff sitting right where I celebrated the kill. I hate to look at it.
Texas8point is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 06:05 AM   #25
lilavidhunter
Ten Point

Hunt In: Richland Springs

My Grandfather who was born in Goliad County in 1903, and moved to Houston to get a job in 1917, use to quail hunt where Astroworld once was.
lilavidhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 06:56 AM   #26
RiverRat1
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post
It has sure changed a lot in the 20 years since I graduated high school. The old kroger that is now Harbor Freight is where every party started.

Leander had one long school when I first started school here in 3rd grade. Elementary, Junior and High school were one block with Admin also. Football "stadium" (which was old wooden bleachers divided Junior and High)

Now we have 28 Elementaries and 5 HS's I lose count now..It's crazy
Old 07-01-2019, 07:12 AM   #27
Quackerbox
Pope & Young

Hunt In: The woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavidson View Post
No matter where you sleep tonight...wherever you call home... someone...sometime...hunted,fished or farmed on that spot.
No truer words.

When I was mad at the prairie ducks my dad and I would drive by houses and he would talk about hunting in that area. We'd drive further south and hunt. Now, I drive by those spots further south and tell my kid I used to hunt there.

1/2 million dollar homes on places between katy and Fulshear where we would slaughter birds from dove season to late goose. Even snipe a pig or two after hunts
Quackerbox is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 07:36 AM   #28
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

where I grew up and hunted is still about same mostly cotton corn maize rice soy beans and less natural pasture...a few more homes scattered...Used to be overun with Ducks geese doves quail rabbits cotton tail and jacks.. few cotton tails around and Jack Rabbits are gone ain't seen one in Years....As far as game mentioned above plenty doves a few quail..Waterfowl used to me like Millions now thousands...
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 07:52 AM   #29
rtp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: open range

Why does everyone my age look so old?
rtp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 08:06 AM   #30
huntmaster
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Archer County

yep, time marches on!!! I used to hunt and fish where DFW Airport is now. And all around Grapevine Lake. I don't like it and they call it progress. I call it somethingelse.
huntmaster is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 08:18 AM   #31
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

When I was a kid and the family would make the trek to Houston from Lufkin, I remember my dad commenting that once they get that 4-lane finished all the way, Houston will be just an after dinner drive!

I used to dove hunt a place just South of Humble where the Shell Houston open used to be held. Last year we got to hunt it, half my doves fell on the pavement to that new-fangled beltway...

I remember when Gallery Furniture was Gallery Model Home Furniture and it was in 2 old model homes and a bunch of tents at 6006 I-45 North... I remember when I-45 ended at Tidwell Road. It was under construction and I used to ride my bike on the overpasses at Parker and Little York.

Course I also remember when they were building Sam Rayburn and how mad all of us were because they were gonna mess up some of the best squirrel and deer hunting in the world when it flooded... We were fishing one time in the river just below where the Angelina and Attoyac rivers came together. We were looking up this big long new right of way that had been cut through woods all the way from the river up to a boat ramp that seemed like it was WAY up on top of a big hill and a mile from the river. My dad said, "Ain't no way in hell water is EVER gonna get up there!" That's Shirley Creek Marina todday...
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 08:35 AM   #32
TX CHICKEN
Ten Point

Hunt In: Karnes County, Jim Hogg and Duval County

I killed my first deer and turkey in what is now the JW Marriott hill country in SA. My dads buddy was into real estate and had land all over that area and we got to hunt those tiny hill country deer. I killed a 6 point melanistic buck there as well. Good times

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
TX CHICKEN is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 08:36 AM   #33
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

OK, I'll play. I remember when FM 1960 was called "Jackrabbit Road" and there was nothing but prairie between I-45 (old hwy 75) and 290.
Even in the late 70s I quail hunted on a thousand acres on the SE corner of I 45 and 1960.
I remember when the north side of Houston began at about loop 610.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 08:49 AM   #34
DRT
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jones County and Missouri

We used to hunt dove two or three evenings a week and on Saturday off of where Tarrant Parkway is now. It's a sub division surrounded by sub divisions and school.
It's not progress.
Fortunately as I age I creep closer to death and won't have to be around when this plant looks like Coruscant. One big city of filth.

Gary
DRT is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 10:02 AM   #35
Pstraw
Ten Point

Hunt In: Front yard or back yard

Remember driving down on 59 from up here. 59 was 2 lane thru all the little towns along the way. Widened out to 4 lane right out of Humble. Wound right thru downtown then out south toward Sugarland. Most everything there was planted cropland. Sugar cane and cotton. Always looked good considering most all labor was free courtesy of TDC back when they actually made money for the state.
Pstraw is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 10:08 AM   #36
curtintex
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tyler County

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayhem View Post

Planning a 3rd right now.
curtintex is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 10:10 AM   #37
glen
Pope & Young

Burnadell remembers his first kill. Told me he got a saber tooth with an atlatl
Old 07-01-2019, 10:13 AM   #38
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

You're old if you remember when this was the tallest building in Downtown Dallas.
Attached Images

Old 07-01-2019, 10:20 AM   #39
Pstraw
Ten Point

^^^
Don't remember the exact skyline but do remember Pegasus being along the top.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:22 AM   #40
Pstraw
Ten Point

Loop 12 and Beltline were the way around downtown Dallas.
Old 07-01-2019, 10:24 AM   #41
Mexico
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Old Mexico, Centerville Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quackerbox View Post
No truer words.

When I was mad at the prairie ducks my dad and I would drive by houses and he would talk about hunting in that area. We'd drive further south and hunt. Now, I drive by those spots further south and tell my kid I used to hunt there.

1/2 million dollar homes on places between katy and Fulshear where we would slaughter birds from dove season to late goose. Even snipe a pig or two after hunts

Yup those geese used to pile up along I-10 at Beltway 8. I've seen so many geese the ground was white where the Igloo plant is now.... them geese gotta swing way right when coming down now just to see a patch of green
Mexico is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 11:15 AM   #42
Man
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Nacogdoches,Tx

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

I remember when Gallery Furniture was Gallery Model Home Furniture and it was in 2 old model homes and a bunch of tents at 6006 I-45 North... I remember when I-45 ended at Tidwell Road. It was under construction and I used to ride my bike on the overpasses at Parker and Little York.
Thats where I grew up and still remember those Gallery tents as well...and much later on the beanbag tower down the road. My great grandparents had a grocery store and were told to pack it up and move...building a new freeway right on top your place!! Which would now be the underpass of 45/airline.
Man is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 11:53 AM   #43
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullersboy View Post
Yep, the woods across from my folks' house in Keller on FM 1709 are now a plastic surgeon's office, an oral surgeon's office, gold course and big fancy houses. Was a horse ranch with lots of wooded area and a creek running through it. We had free run of the place. It was a great place to grow up. The place I used to dove hunt and fish some of the best stock tanks around is now a huge neighborhood. It was a good sized dairy farm. Funny, they named the neighborhood the same thing as the actual dairy farm that used to be in that spot "Crawford Farms", up in north Fort Worth/Keller. Mr. Crawford was the owner/operator of his dairy farm, but was also the counselor at the high school. I was friends with his youngest daughter. We were able to fish any time we wanted. Dove hunting was pretty solid around those stock tanks during dove season. Every time I drive by there, I remember and wonder if the folks that live in Crawford Farms even realize that it actually was "Crawford Farms." I'm told when he finally cut it loose, he sold that place for $11,000,000.00! Wouldn't surprise me at all, it was a good sized chunk of land in a prime spot.
I had the hunting and fishing rights on the place that bordered Crawford's Dairy to the west. From his west fence, to old Denton Rd. I killed enough dove over there in 10 years to cure hunger in some small countries.....all for shooting a few yotes, and helping the man with his cows.

I went to school with Jamie Crawford for a good while, and remember Mr. Crawford working at the high school.
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 12:13 PM   #44
Pullersboy
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Erath & Hamilton Counties.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Moser View Post
I had the hunting and fishing rights on the place that bordered Crawford's Dairy to the west. From his west fence, to old Denton Rd. I killed enough dove over there in 10 years to cure hunger in some small countries.....all for shooting a few yotes, and helping the man with his cows.

I went to school with Jamie Crawford for a good while, and remember Mr. Crawford working at the high school.
Yep, Jamie and I were friends and were in the youth group together at Mt. Gilead Baptist Church. D-Mo, every time stuff comes up about the Keller area, you and I end up knowing lots of the same folks. I bet if we were to get together for a cold one, we'd figure out alot of folks we have in common.
Pullersboy is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 12:27 PM   #45
doright
Eight Point

Hunt In: Shelby co.

I'm not old but when we moved from the Fresno Arcola area I was in the 8th grade. That was as far as you could go in manvel, after that you had to go to highschool in Alvin. 521 was 288 and there were surveying stakes for what was to become 288. Nothing between Arcola and Sugarland except a blinking yellow light in Dewalt. I helped my dad move cows off the ranch that became Quail Valley.
doright is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 12:29 PM   #46
CabezaBlanca
Ten Point

Hunt In: Colorado County

I went to school at Katy Elementary, Katy Junior High and Katy High School because that's all there were. They are working on Elementary 43, Junior High 16 and High School 9 right now for a total of 68 schools in KISD. I could go on and on about how it used to be.
CabezaBlanca is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 12:34 PM   #47
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by CabezaBlanca View Post
I went to school at Katy Elementary, Katy Junior High and Katy High School because that's all there were. They are working on Elementary 43, Junior High 16 and High School 9 right now for a total of 68 schools in KISD. I could go on and on about how it used to be.
My youngest sister graduated from Plano Senior High in 1979. Her senior class had more students than the whole district had when I graduated in '76.
Old 07-01-2019, 03:35 PM   #48
MisterB
Eight Point

Hunt In: Hill Country

When I went to UT, driving in from the north, along about Round Rock, when the Austin skylight appeared there were only two prominent buildings visible, The Texas Tower and the capitol building..
MisterB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 03:54 PM   #49
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pullersboy View Post
Yep, Jamie and I were friends and were in the youth group together at Mt. Gilead Baptist Church. D-Mo, every time stuff comes up about the Keller area, you and I end up knowing lots of the same folks. I bet if we were to get together for a cold one, we'd figure out alot of folks we have in common.
We'd better check on some statutes of limitation first!
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 07-01-2019, 03:56 PM   #50
youngbuck1
Eight Point

Hunt In: TX/ND/S.A.

Wally World and a school on both sides of the best dove field I ever hunted in NTX. This all in the past 6 years.
youngbuck1 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top