Best Red Dot for Pistol Hunting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best Red Dot for Pistol Hunting

I am going on a Lion hunt at the end of this year and want to take my 460 S&W. Currently have a Leupold mounted but the guide told me we will be shooting at 50 yards.

Initially was thinking to change to open sites but then considered a Red Dot.

What Red Dot would you suggest? I own a Sig Romeo but I have also been considering a Trijicon RMR 2.

The Trijicon RMR type 2 in 1MOA would be your best bet for a reflex style RDS. If tubular, it's hard to beat an ultradot. Good luck on your hunt!

Also, I don't know anything about the Sig Romeo, but with the 460 caliber I'd be concerned with it holding up. The Trijicon and Ultradot for sure would. I own both and have had both on 460s and they hold up well.

Lastly, if you want a good 'budget' option, the Vortex Venom 3MOA is a great choice. I own several and all perform and hold up well. It also has a top-load battery compartment which is nice, compared to the Trijicon which is a bottom load. Not a huge deal since batteries last a long time, but still a pain in that with the Trijicon you have to remove the RDS from your gun in order to change the battery.

Good luck!

Comment

I have had a TRS 25 on a Super Blackhawk Hunter for several years and have been happy with it. It doesn't get a lot of use, couple boxes of target loads early fall and a few hunting rounds but has held up fine so far.

Comment

Whatever you pick, make sure you have a spare. I had TC contender in 309JDJ that ate scopes. I mean like 5 of them. 3 Burris and 2 Leupolds. Saying that Trijicon RMR might be the best option.

Comment

I have a Trijicon SRO and love it. Sight picture is larger than an RMR, but the RMR is a tougher sight. I also have a few holosuns that have held up well, but none of those are on a 460 S&W.

Comment

460 definitely going to test whatever you put on it.

Comment

I wouldn’t put any electronic dot sight on a 460. I would get one of the dual source Trijicon RMR sights.

No electronics to break.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

I’m super happy with the Holosun X2 series on my Staccato.

Comment

My holosuns have been holding up great. I prefer it over my rmr's. Whatever you do, purchase two and keep one as a backup if the first goes down.

Sent from my SM-X200 using Tapatalk

Comment

Buddy of mine had a 460 with a little zeiss red dot on it. I think they called it the z-point. It held up great to full house 460xvr rounds and we killed the heck out of some hogs with it!

Comment

I have a Trijicon RMR on my .460 and it holds up great.

Comment

Originally posted by chrigging View Post
                        I have a Trijicon RMR on my .460 and it holds up great.
                        What size dot?

Comment

Originally posted by brownchristian View Post
                          what size dot?
                          1 moa

Comment

I've shot M2's with the RMR on them without issue. I think you'll be set with the RMR on the 460.

Comment

Working...
                            X