NEED YOUR SUPPORT - Public Hunting Program Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
    Just to be clear, your argument is that "every other state" besides Texas required out of state hunters to purchase a hunting license prior to submitting an application for draw tags?
    Some states require it, it is simply a reference to other states requirements.

Comment

Why not add a fee for out of state applicants to participate in the Texas draw program, or a higher price to purchase the permit once drawn. I do agree that with your philosophy that out of state people need to pay more.

Comment

Originally posted by kae006 View Post
        Just to be clear, your argument is that "every other state" besides Texas required out of state hunters to purchase a hunting license prior to submitting an application for draw tags?
        I think the stronger argument is that several other states add the cost of the license and permits to the draw fees on the front end, and refund all but processing fees if the hunter is not drawn.

That changes everything. It will make non residents pony up $300 + and residents add the cost of a hunting license at the time of applying. Since none of the draws occur before Aug. 15 the additional fee will purchase the license for the year only if drawn.

Makes great sense to me. That will actually start making everyones accrued points actually have value, and show progress towards specific hunts.

Thanks to the OP and Mr. Public for driving this

Comment

Originally posted by T-roy66 View Post
          Why not add a fee for out of state applicants to participate in the Texas draw program, or a higher price to purchase the permit once drawn. I do agree that with your philosophy that out of state people need to pay more.
          Non-residents do pay significantly more for their licenses than residents do.

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
          I think the stronger argument is that several other states add the cost of the license and permits to the draw fees on the front end, and refund all but processing fees if the hunter is not drawn....

Makes great sense to me. That will actually start making everyones accrued points actually have value, and show progress towards specific hunts.
          Completely agree with this thought process and justification.

Comment

I'm good with all them upfront fees and such. Specially if they put that revenue into acquiring more hunting areas through the private/public lease and walk-in program. That HAS to be a bigger push from tpwd.

Comment

I’m in. I agree, they should have some skin in the game.

Comment

4. Use the dang proceeds to actually buy more land.

Comment

Sounds logical, compared to most of western state hunts.

Comment

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                    #3 only allow up to 10% of draw permits awarded to NR hunters. Other states do it so why shouldn’t Texas

Honestly if they raised application prices or only allowed one app per category and required a license prior to applying it would knock down the ridiculous odds a bit.
                    I agree with this for New Mexico residents.

Comment

How do you copy and paste without the green background?

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post
                        I ended up copy/pasting to a Word document then switch to text only. Then copy/paste that to the email.

Comment

Originally posted by texastrouthunte View Post
                          I agree, the only aspect I can think of is that the draw typically comes out in July but license sales for the upcoming year do not go on sale till September. Maybe license sales could happen sooner?

New licenses go on sale August 15th.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Paycheck View Post

Copy paste, but change the text background color to no color(white).

Or send with green background if anything, it’ll be a signature green screen theme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

NEED YOUR SUPPORT - Public Hunting Program Changes

Originally posted by diamond10x View Post
                              #3 only allow up to 10% of draw permits awarded to NR hunters. Other states do it so why shouldn’t Texas

Honestly if they raised application prices or only allowed one app per category and required a license prior to applying it would knock down the ridiculous odds a bit.

I understand that. However, that is not the changes we are seeking at this time.

We must know the percentage of non resident (NR)applicants first, prior to advocating for a 90/10.

If the percentage of NR is less than 10%, let’s say 2%.

We certainly would not want to allocate 10% of permits for NR. That would be counterproductive for this movement.

Now, with the recent broadcasting of some premier destinations within the Texas public draw hunt opportunities, on large platforms such as YouTube, one can expect that the number of NR applications will increase, possibly tremendously increase for some of these particular draw hunts.

I personally feel advocating for a 90/10 at this time is likely not necessary. However, it is difficult to predict the amount of time or years it could take to see TPWD make adjustments as such.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              Last edited by Mr. Public; 01-22-2023, 11:40 AM.

Comment

NM

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
                                I think the stronger argument is that several other states add the cost of the license and permits to the draw fees on the front end, and refund all but processing fees if the hunter is not drawn.

That changes everything. It will make non residents pony up $300 + and residents add the cost of a hunting license at the time of applying. Since none of the draws occur before Aug. 15 the additional fee will purchase the license for the year only if drawn.

Thanks to the OP and Mr. Public for driving this
                                I agree, but NM doesn't reimburse the general hunting license cost and habitat stamp or whatever it is....you are stuck with that even if you don't draw. Only thing reimbursed is the deer or elk tag that you purchased. (As far as I remember...usually get the deer tag fee back, but not the other)
                                Last edited by chehunt; 01-22-2023, 12:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X