Interesting Standby Selection Process - Fairfield Lake

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interesting Standby Selection Process - Fairfield Lake

So my adult son and I drove up quick this morning to try for a standby spot for the antlerless hunt at Fairfield Lake SP. Ended up being 20 standby hunters for 12 spots. I’ve been to several standbys at other locations and at each one, you filled out a card and put all the hunters in your group on one card.

Well at Fairfield, each hunter has to fill out an individual card. So there were 20 cards in the bucket. I was drawn fifth. My sons card was not drawn in the first twelve. Now the weird part. Us and two other groups only had one of their group drawn. I just sort of waited and the other two guys from those groups turned their cards back in because they didn’t want to hunt without the other member. Unfortunately my son wasn’t drawn the next two times SO I then turned in my card. And guess what, he was drawn for my spot. Which of course, we turned down because now I didn’t have a spot.

Not saying this system is worse, just interesting. When I asked why they didn’t put all group hunters on one card, the staff member said “what if we get to the end and only have one spot and draw a card with 2 Hunters”. I said “you draw another card until you get a single hunter”. Anyway, staff was friendly and was surprised by the number of standbys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It depends on the area and manager. Some draw up to so many groups, some draw up to so many individual hunters, and some do a combination.

I've been to areas that conducted the draw exactly as you described. It's real common on assigned blind hunts.

Comment

I was not aware that Fairfield SP still existed?

Thought it was leased land from the power company and the whole property was up for sale since they closed the power plant

Anyway, the last hunt we went standby on they started drawing cards and when they got 29 out of 30 total spots for the hunt filled they quit drawing

Some of the places we hunt they will draw one card guaranteed, the rest depend on who didn't pay

Comment

The Cooper hunt 2 weeks ago they drew by group. Not individual. I think there were 4 spots and 6 or 7 standby groups.

Sent from my SM-S901U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by WinslowBoy View Post
          So my adult son and I drove up quick this morning to try for a standby spot for the antlerless hunt at Fairfield Lake SP. Ended up being 20 standby hunters for 12 spots. I’ve been to several standbys at other locations and at each one, you filled out a card and put all the hunters in your group on one card.

Well at Fairfield, each hunter has to fill out an individual card. So there were 20 cards in the bucket. I was drawn fifth. My sons card was not drawn in the first twelve. Now the weird part. Us and two other groups only had one of their group drawn. I just sort of waited and the other two guys from those groups turned their cards back in because they didn’t want to hunt without the other member. Unfortunately my son wasn’t drawn the next two times SO I then turned in my card. And guess what, he was drawn for my spot. Which of course, we turned down because now I didn’t have a spot.

Not saying this system is worse, just interesting. When I asked why they didn’t put all group hunters on one card, the staff member said “what if we get to the end and only have one spot and draw a card with 2 Hunters”. I said “you draw another card until you get a single hunter”. Anyway, staff was friendly and was surprised by the number of standbys.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
          Yeah Whitney is weird too, had a youth drawn on the card but the adult drawn couldn't make the hunt so a different adult showed up with the youth. They would not let the youth hunt even though he was drawn because their rules were no kids hunting alone and adult that brought the youth was not drawn. Now we have done this at multiple other draw hunts before and they had no issues giving the adult a waiver to be on the place during the hunt, if the youth is old enough they can hunt by themselves the adult just has to be on site or the adult can sit with the youth in the blind just can't shoot. They really should standardize rules across all parks/WMA's, they all have their own rules.

Comment

My Dad and his hunting friend both got deer but not much else seen at all. I was going to go but drew my Mule deer hunt!

Comment

Originally posted by bossbowman View Post
              Yeah Whitney is weird too, had a youth drawn on the card but the adult drawn couldn't make the hunt so a different adult showed up with the youth. They would not let the youth hunt even though he was drawn because their rules were no kids hunting alone and adult that brought the youth was not drawn. Now we have done this at multiple other draw hunts before and they had no issues giving the adult a waiver to be on the place during the hunt, if the youth is old enough they can hunt by themselves the adult just has to be on site or the adult can sit with the youth in the blind just can't shoot. They really should standardize rules across all parks/WMA's, they all have their own rules.
              Sad that they lose sight of the purpose of the hunt. Some folks don't have the cajones to use commen sense and instead read a dang book to tell them what to do.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
                Sad that they lose sight of the purpose of the hunt. Some folks don't have the cajones to use commen sense and instead read a dang book to tell them what to do.
                You nailed it! All adults on those hunts are only chaperones anyways so who cares who’s in the blind as long as the kids are being monitored. Common sense 101 maybe they need to add that to their degree’s.

Comment

To answer their question of what happens if only one spot is left and you draw a card with 2 hunters, you just let them both hunt. It is not a big deal. I'm sure you and your son would have gladly hunted together if need be.

Comment

Originally posted by STXBOWHUNTER73 View Post
                    You nailed it! All adults on those hunts are only chaperones anyways so who cares who’s in the blind as long as the kids are being monitored. Common sense 101 maybe they need to add that to their degree’s.
                    Maybe it is due to Hunter’s Education requirements.

Comment

If they definitely didn't want to go over the limit they could have just picked groups up until the last one. If that group put them over then the group could decide who would hunt or pass. If passed go to the next group. The group fights would be fun to see in any event. Maybe get a pool going...

Comment

Yes, it would be nice if they standardize, but I can see where TWPD would have some liability issues if things went wrong.

Comment

Been to one where they let people who were not even present to be put on cards.
                          Last edited by Static1968; 01-06-2023, 01:45 PM.

Comment

For those that haven't seen the news this might have been the last year for hunts there, TPWD has until February 3rd to work a deal out to keep the lease or buy the land.

Comment

Yeah they have a weird system

Comment

Working...
                              X