No announcement yet.

Saddle Hunting in Texas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got into it and I am 56 soon to be 56. Isnt that hard. If you can make it up climbing sticks, you can do this IMO. Arrowsmith saddle hunts and he is approaching his mid 60s.

I got my set up from H2 saddles, and it was a complete package for a pretty god price. I got my platform from Out On a Limb, and extra daisy chained ropes for my steps from Backwoods Mobile gear. I bet I am in for right around $400 total and have everything I need.

It is gaining popularity like crazy and is great for another hunting method/tool.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhuntntxn View Post
      Just got into it and I am 56 soon to be 56. Isnt that hard. If you can make it up climbing sticks, you can do this IMO. Arrowsmith saddle hunts and he is approaching his mid 60s.

I got my set up from H2 saddles, and it was a complete package for a pretty god price. I got my platform from Out On a Limb, and extra daisy chained ropes for my steps from Backwoods Mobile gear. I bet I am in for right around $400 total and have everything I need.

It is gaining popularity like crazy and is great for another hunting method/tool.

Look up Warren Womack… he has been climbing trees for decades and is in his late 70’s. He has killed over 400 public land deer, and has kept a journal for each kill. If Womack can keep going at his age, the rest of us have no excuse!

3,978 Followers, 1,934 Following, 1,006 Posts - See Instagram photos and videos from Warren Womack (@warren_womack)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am a bigger guy than most on here and I will be hunting out of one this year. From playing with it and learning it I am loving it a lot more than being in a treestand. If you want a good budget saddle check out TX5 The Rayder saddle. It's a very nice entry level saddle and made in Texas also.

Comment

Im 61, last season was the first year saddle hunt and will probably never do anything else. It is far easier, less stress and am more rested after the hunt. No change in shooting form unlike a tree stand. All of these things were pleasant surprises that I wasnt expecting. It is far easier to move without being detected. It is safer than a treestand. The only downside is replacing equipment every few years.
          My first deer out of a saddle was a buck and I made a perfect shot. It was easier more relaxed shooting.

Comment

Game changer…you can pretty much hunt the deer instead of the tree.

When wind is right I now hunt right up to bedding areas and am killing/seeing deer that I used to have try for with a rifle.

I use sticks sometimes. Started out DRT with Blake’s hitch…does not get any more light weight. Still use rope ALOT but takes practice

Comment

I hunted out of a saddle 2 years ago in Kentucky. Lightweight and super easy to position for a shot, but I did find myself moving more in the tree due to shifting positions. I’m sure with time you’d find the most comfortable positions. I’m thinking about getting one for my run and gun setup this year.

Comment

I am 6'3 260 and pull all day sits across the midwest in my tethrd phantom. When it comes to central and south texas I love the versatility and tree selection you have. I can get up in a mesquite or live oak and be only 8' up but in a tree with tons of cover.

The attached video is of me 8' up a live oak on a berm. I was attached to a limb the size of a 1 liter coke bottle
                Attached Files

Comment

How long can you stay in the saddle before you need to touch ground to rest your legs and feet? Is an all-day sit possible?

Comment

Originally posted by 100%TtId View Post
                    How long can you stay in the saddle before you need to touch ground to rest your legs and feet? Is an all-day sit possible?
                    I hunted H last year and made all day sits

Was first time hunting out of one, Millenium is more comfortable but trade off in weight makes it no comparison. You can shift around and keep from staying in the same position to help with comfort fairly easy

I would say if you use climbing sticks or tree steps to get in a stand it is no different

Comment

you can just stand up on your platform when you need too

Comment

This season will be my 4th season with my saddle. I cannot believe I use to carry around that climber.

I'm running the Tethrd mantis, I don't think you can buy it anymore but it looks exactly like the phantom.

I always tell first time saddle hunters 2 things:

1. NO it is obviously not as comfortable as sitting your azz in a chair

2. don't buy cheap knee pads

EDIT:

To answer your original question OP, there aren't to many trees you cannot hunt out of when it comes to saddle hunting. Just get creative and find a way.

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
                          Also to piggy back, any suggestions on which saddle/equipment to buy for a beginner? Any specific pieces that are a game changer?
                          One of my favorites is a foam pad for weeding a garden with a strap. It's nice to be able to put my knees into the tree comfortably to sit in my saddle.

Comment

This will be my 3rd year of saddle hunting. Got lots of good info from G2 outdoors and John Eberhart on YouTube. I built my first saddle and liked it so much that I upgraded to a Treehopper Recon.

Comment

I didnt have any unnecessary fatigue.

Comment

Originally posted by lovemylegacy View Post
                                I didnt have any unnecessary fatigue.

There is a such thing called saddle shape. I know for myself it takes a few sits to get the muscles use to it after a long off season but it doesn’t take long. I can sit 8 hours comfortably.

Comment

Working...
                                X