Trophy sized badger.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Trophy sized badger.

Had a huge one run out in front of me tonight. My vehicle sits low enough I drug him a ways but it didn't kill it. I called the guy that owns that land next to where it was and asked if I could hunt out there. For the sole purpose of trying to get it shot. I've killed a lot of 'em in my life but I don't think I've ever shot one as big as this one was. I'm thinkin I'll probably get a rug made out of it if I can catch it out messing around.

That's my target animal for the rest of the furbearer season. I don't have one mounted or anything so this one's as good as any. I'll post it here if I can get him shot before the end of this month.

Trophy sized badger might be a stretch. I don't know how big a trophy sized badger is. But it's big one.LOL That son of a gun was all there. It made a racket when it was rolling around under there. Didn't hit it with a tire so I'm sure it's fine. Just gonna be a little sore tomorrow.
    Last edited by okrattler; 02-03-2023, 12:48 AM.

If you’re not selling the fur then isn’t it ok to shoot one any time of the year?

Comment

Originally posted by AntlerCollector View Post
      If you’re not selling the fur then isn’t it ok to shoot one any time of the year?
      There's a season on them here but in Texas I think you can shoot them any time. There's no bag limit on them in Oklahoma though so realistically you could shoot as many as you possibly can. Bobcats there's a limit of 20 and 2 red foxes I believe. Raccoon,beaver, badger,coyote and striped skunk you can shoot as many as you want in Oklahoma. Skunks,beavers,coyotes and raccoons are considered a furbearer but have no season. I honestly don't know how it all works or why one is favored over the other or what determines what has a season on it or bag limit and what doesn't. Heck even a opossum has a season on it here. Unless something is causing a nuisance and then it's fair game any time of year. Tearing up property and killing livestock and things I guess would be the exception there.

Comment

My bad, I was thinking about Texas law. Good luck I hope you get it.

Comment

Texas allows the take of fur bears with a hunting licenses any time as long as you are not selling the hide.
          To sell the hide a fur bearers license sir required.
          Recreational take, by a hunting licenses for yourself, has no closed season.
          Nutri and beavers have separate season but fir bearers can be taken with that license Nov 1- March 31.

Badgers are cool but nasty at the same time.
          Good luck. It will smell like a skink so de smell it before skinning it- peroxide, baking soda and Dawn mixture does it.

Comment

Originally posted by wytex View Post
            Texas allows the take of fur bears with a hunting licenses any time as long as you are not selling the hide.
            To sell the hide a fur bearers license sir required.
            Recreational take, by a hunting licenses for yourself, has no closed season.
            Nutri and beavers have separate season but fir bearers can be taken with that license Nov 1- March 31.

Badgers are cool but nasty at the same time.
            Good luck. It will smell like a skink so de smell it before skinning it- peroxide, baking soda and Dawn mixture does it.
            I haven't killed one in Texas. I've shot over 100 in Oklahoma though. They do stink but I'll let the taxidermist take care of that. Seems like they stink less after they're froze a while.

Comment

Badgers are the bad***** of all the weasel family. Had a young half grown badger whip 2 redbone coonhounds one night up on LBJ Grasslands and then tried to start in on me. Only animal I ever saw that could dig a hole down thru solid cliche rock. IF you get it, it should be easy to peel. Them things can turn completely over inside their own skin.

Comment

Originally posted by muzzlebrake View Post
                Badgers are the bad***** of all the weasel family. Had a young half grown badger whip 2 redbone coonhounds one night up on LBJ Grasslands and then tried to start in on me. Only animal I ever saw that could dig a hole down thru solid cliche rock. IF you get it, it should be easy to peel. Them things can turn completely over inside their own skin.
                Oh yeah they're shifty guys. You ain't kidding about how they can dig. I saw a badger hole in the middle of the dirt road a few months ago. I thought "out of all of that irrigated winter wheat field you could make your house in and you chose the hardest dirt to dig through?"

They're not the brightest creatures. I'd say more curious than anything. Most of the time they'll run down their holes and peak back up to see what's going on. Ain't scared of much.

Comment

[ATTACH]1118640[/ATTACH]

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
                    [ATTACH]1118640[/ATTACH]
                    I'm hoping I'll have one before long. I need to get this one in the freezer. My taxidermist won't be accepting work until later this year but that's alright. If I can get it shot it'll keep.

I would go full body mount it's just that I ain't really got the room for it. I think a badger rug would look pretty slick.

Comment

The only time I’ve ever seen a badger really close was while I was antelope hunting in Wyoming. I thought I recorded him with my video camera but forgot to push the dang record button, either that or pushed it then pushed it again and turned it off.

Comment

They’re mean little suckers. When I shot this one, he grabbed the arrow(still in him) and bit it in half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
                          The only time I’ve ever seen a badger really close was while I was antelope hunting in Wyoming. I thought I recorded him with my video camera but forgot to push the dang record button, either that or pushed it then pushed it again and turned it off.
                          We see them quite a bit up here. Although I have seen a two in Texas. One ran across the road on a ranch near Sweetwater,Texas. Didn't shoot that one. The other one I can remember seeing was dead on the highway. I think it was around Childress I think. I can't recall exactly where it was. Those are the only two I can remember ever seeing that far South. Of course around Perryton and around Borger,Dumas and Pampa I think there's probably quite a few.

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                            They’re mean little suckers. When I shot this one, he grabbed the arrow(still in him) and bit it in half.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro
                            Pretty cool bow kill. I can't say I know anyone or have ever heard of anyone getting one with a bow.

Comment

The bloodline my European/Russian Daschund is from, the dad was a bad ARSE badger/fox hunter. Guy was a hunter in Russia. Nose was all scarred up from getting in their dens. He was a beast. Of course, his son, who is also 100% Russian Daschund, could jump on top of a countertop. So very agile.

Comment

Working...
                              X