No announcement yet.

Trapping Season 2022-2023

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pulled my last 3 sets. Couldn't have set them off with a hammer.

Comment

How often do you freshen your bait on your dirt holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Checked traps this afternoon in the rain.

One had been sprung (deer from how the trap was sitting) so I pulled it.

Rain here all week so will pull the other 2 sometime this week.

Comment

Bobcats are boarded and coyote goes on today.

Glad we pulled as it is snowing pretty well at the ranch and roads are terrible if open. Snow drifts will be impressive but hopefully melt some by next weekend.

I know you all need some rain but hope it's not too much.

Comment

Cat is either blind or does not know it is supposed to investigate the CD and feather thingamabob

This is "STC_0020" by B Lowry on Vimeo, the home for high quality videos and the people who love them.

Comment

Bobcats are drying nicely, coyote is a day behind so still kind of scraggly looking.
              Female is kind of cast on the belly but has nice spots on the back, no very common for our cats.
              Male is nicely furred but again some cast so we'll see what they're worth next month.
              They'll need another few days then get cleaned up a bit with some borax and brushed out.
              Attached Files

Comment

Very nice fur wytex. How’s the fur market looking for those north country cats?

Comment

Originally posted by gtsticker View Post
                  How often do you freshen your bait on your dirt holes

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

How long a bait lasts depends on temp and precipitation. Under normal circumstances, I would not freshen it up for 7/10 days. I see it a lot where a bait becomes more attractive to after it mellows.

Comment

Still down but all the bobcats sold at auction last time in Canada.
                    Fur buyers were saying same prices as last year before they started buying so not sure now what they are paying.

We kept a cat they offered $150 for last year so hoping the better cats are up in price a bit, say around $250+ this year.
                    We may just send ours to auction in Canada directly and hope for better money.
                    Did that one year and came out ahead but it takes a while to get paid.
                    We have 3 bobcats so maybe $500 on all of them. Few years back we could get that for 1 really nice bobcat.

I'm afraid our coyotes will only bring $15 each, years past they were $25-50. Might not even be able to sell them.

Comment

I really miss fur trapping. I was raised by my grandparents, and grew up on a trap line. My grandad was a bobcat trapping machine, he would average almost 1 cat a day some years. I remember pulling traps with him for the last time in the late 80s. He’s been gone a long time now, what I would give to ride with him one more time.

Comment

Guess all my trapping is not having much of an impact

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7898.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	82.3 KB
ID:	24705635

Only good news is 1 in 8 has their paw caught in a trap in this pic and she will not be having a litter this spring

I thought I was making some progress, had not seen more than one in a pic in a while.

Comment

I had 3 coyotes coming up to our lamb pens and quickly took out 2 in December using Hiawatha Valley. The last one disappeared until late January but I was able to get him earlier this week during the icy mess. BT, hopefully we don't have your situation.

Comment

Holy moly BT, get after 'em!!!

Got our bobcats ready for sale. We'll also try the cast male from last year and see what they offer.
                            Attached Files

Comment

I have heard "cast" before but no idea what it means

Guess I need to google it

Comment

Originally posted by BTLowry View Post
                                Guess all my trapping is not having much of an impact

[ATTACH]1118783[/ATTACH]

Only good news is 1 in 8 has their paw caught in a trap in this pic and she will not be having a litter this spring

I thought I was making some progress, had not seen more than one in a pic in a while.
                                Nice work BT,,, there’s a lot to be learned by looking at that picture. The thing that stood out the most to me was where those coyotes where standing in relation to the edge of that catch circle.

Comment

Working...
                                X