Shadow box for family heirloom flag

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another project! We decided today to mount my wife’s grandfather’s 48-star flag in a shadow box/ frame to display and preserve it. ‘Pops’ was a WW1 and WW2 Army Air Corps veteran. He displayed it in front of his home as far back as my wife remembers as a child on Veteran’s Day and July 4th-also his birthday.

We got the flag on his death and continued the tradition displaying on a 45 degree angle flagpole, as Pops did on his porch.

Retired now in Montana, we put in a 25’ flagpole, illuminated 24/7. The wind here can be merciless.

We flew it once, the first time we flew a flag on the new flag pole on Veteran’s Day. After an hour we saw the wind was unraveling the cotton on 2 corners. I think that’s the last time she’ll be flown.

So- as we’re researching different ways to mount and display the flag, has anybody done it and have lessons learned? It’s 44 by 67 inches so the finished frame will be close to 4 by 7 feet.

I’m trying to figure our who made the flag- I can’t find a Canni or similar flag company.

Here’s the manufacturer’s tag. It sure is quality- it’s probably 75 or 80 years ‘young’.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Annin Flagmakers has been making the US Flag since 1847 and is the oldest and largest flag manufacturer in the United States. We have the highest-quality products, broadest product line, largest inventory, best customer service, highest fill rates and the greatest production capacity in the industry. At Annin, we produce our flags with

Maybe these will help
    Last edited by WTX; 01-14-2023, 02:24 PM. Reason: .

Comment

Great family heirloom there!

Murica!

Comment

I’m still thinking about the project.

We drove past a custom home being built and saw a Free sign in front of a stack of fir cutoffs. The largest piece was 3x12 8’. Loaded it in the bed of the Tundra for ‘something’. I couldn’t pass it up.

Yesterday, was a cold day outside in a warm shop inside and I built a bench. I still beed to round some corners and stain it. Cost $8 for sone long construction screws.

Next project is the flag.

Comment

I have a 3x5 Home Depot purchased flag that isn’t quite the quality of your flag to say the least. It’s fairly faded and “semi-translucent”. I was considering framing it with a back-lit frame so it could be lit up at night…

Guessing from the close up pic of your flag, i doubt yours is translucent at all. You might be able to place some sort of led light around the frame should you decide to light it up at night. Perhaps placing it on a porch wall.

Nice work on the bench Sir.

Comment

Originally posted by WTX View Post
            https://jeffbridgman.com/inventory/i...ge=out&id=4549

Annin Flagmakers has been making the US Flag since 1847 and is the oldest and largest flag manufacturer in the United States. We have the highest-quality products, broadest product line, largest inventory, best customer service, highest fill rates and the greatest production capacity in the industry. At Annin, we produce our flags with

Maybe these will help
            Wow, those were really helpful! I reached out to Jeff Bridgman to see if he can provide guidance on how to date the flag's manufacture.

Annin made the flag sold at Lincoln's inauguration and also that draped his casket!

Comment

On the Jeff Bridgman page there is a picture of a manufacturer's tag identical to your with the name wore off. They say it's an Annin

The text (some absent) read as follows: “The Name Annin Guarantees Quality; Defiance; Reg U.S. Pat. Off.; Two Ply – Moth Proof; Guaranteed Defiance Fast Colors.” Defiance was an brand name within the Annin line. Other brand names used included "High Grade," "Sterling," "Republic," etc..

Comment

Jeff Bridgeman replied to my email last night. He said the Annin cotton flag was manufactured in the late 40s or 50s. It appears Pops purchased the flag after his return from service in the 8th Army Air Force stationed in England.

Comment

Ready to see the finished product

Comment

Not much done. Priced tempered glass vs lexan. $300+ vs $150.

Comment

Working...
                    X