Bifold Trailer Gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bifold Trailer Gate

Well a couple lease trips ago I was getting terrible fuel mileage pulling my empty 20’ tandem axle trailer. I remembered a discussion on here about the tall gate being a wind drag so I decided to experiment on the trip home. We had to take it off to move a protein feeder and just strapped it down. Weight was the same since we had the gate with us laying flat.

7 MILES PER GALLONS BETTER!! 7.

I had a trailer with a bifold gate before so I had the design in mind. Had to get some 2x3-3/16” angle and some hinges and we were off.

Started with the big separation

Then I added the angle to “cap” the inside of each piece and give me a great spot to weld the hinges.

Squared everything up and tacked the hinges in place.

Followed by a successful test fold. LOL

Comment

Built some pins for the bottom section with round bar, square tubing and some chain.

Then I got beyond lucky and somehow the original bars lined up PERFECT to hold the entire thing securely. Still can’t believe that lined up.

Off to paint we go on the home stretch.

Comment

Like that idea

A lot less wind reaistance

Comment

And now the finished product.

You fold the entire thing up and pin it. Then fold it and attach the bar to the outside (top) portion.

It is very very solid with the bars in place.

Comment

Nice work! People don't realize how much wind those gates catch. I hate gates.

Comment

Nice Job !!

Comment

And just to show how ridiculously lucky I got on the support bar. Here are some pics when I originally built them in 2019.

Cut the gate in 1/2, do all of that modification and they just happen to fit perfect.

When I saw it slide right on I was like “no blanking way”. [emoji12]

Comment

Solid work hand! Looks great

Comment

I didn’t know how fast I would get the bifold gate done after the April trip so I temporarily solved the problem with some angle I had laying around. No way I was dealing with that again but wanted a tailgate so nothing would bounce out. Just cost me the board and was a huge improvement for the May lease trip.

Luckily the bifold gate works with the board holder after the fact.

So I can completely take the gate off if I want to and just run the board. Only time I need the gate is hauling the Ranger and that will just be during season.

Comment

Originally posted by HuntForHorns View Post
                      Nice work! People don't realize how much wind those gates catch. I hate gates.

I never would have believed it if I hadn’t seen it.

Just under 12 MPG headed down completely empty and just under 19 MPG coming home. And that was with an extra 500# of bagged cottonseed on the trailer coming home.

Comment

Very cool build. Had no idea that the gate would eat up so much mileage.

Comment

That is great work. I have almost the exact same gate, and it is great when loading, but terrible when the trailer is empty because of rearward weight. I also had no idea that gate chewed up so much fuel mileage.

Comment

Good job!!

Comment

Thanks for the kind words guys. I was very pleased with the finished product.

Comment

Working...
                              X