No announcement yet.

MAPs Dove Club

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Do you farm it yourself or have someone else? What are you planting for doves this year?
    No we dont, this year there is some cotton and a few hundred acres of grain/milo. I never dove hunted this field until the last few seasons, then I realized this is one of the best spots we have. This place really holds the birds

How many coveys of quail have you seen?
    The quail are really down this year, I didnt even hunt them over here. I normally see alot of birds just driving roads but this year that was not the case. I've got 2 new ponds out here and multiple quail feeders going so I hope it helps them. I have been hearing alot of quail whistling this spring though

Comment

Here are some neat trail camera photos I have gotten, the hog reminds me of a scene from lion king. Those coyotes and bobcats will need to be thinned once I start putting blackbuck out here.

The water picture shows what can happen out here with an 8" rain in 24 hours. I took that picture about 10 years ago on opening weekend of dove season. The day before we had people hunting there, the next afternoon this is what it looked like. The pond that I had built is on the left, the brush on the right is part of an old creek and a drainage. Alot of that water comes from different directions and flows down to this low spot. It shrinks pretty fast but there is still a good portion that will remain muddy for a long time. Great for duck hunting but not for getting around. I hope the new pond I dug will help with this problem, unless its already full when a big rain like this happens.
      Attached Files

Comment

is this the place I dove hunted 15 yrs ago ? Love what you are doing with it.

Comment

is this the place I dove hunted 15 yrs ago ? Love what you are doing with it.
          15 years??? it cant be...you need to come out again if your in the area. But this is a different spot, about 15 miles west of where we hunted

Comment

Following along, very nice place.

Rwc

Comment

Cool thread. It'll be fun to follow along. That pig chasing off that crane should be an automatic death sentence

Comment

That pig chasing off that crane should be an automatic death sentence
                I shot a big one there with my bow a few weeks after that picture was taken, I dont know if it was the same one or not, we get alot of loner boars around there. We do have a history of big hogs, but very few with big teeth, I think its from all the fighting and having to many.

I've been using this medina fertilizer on the stuff I've planted and also broadcasting it in certain areas of the brush. Mostly around the white brush, texas persimmons, and mulberry trees. Anybody have something better for the native brush?
                Attached Files

Comment

Awesome! how big is the place?

100% HF? Hogs still getting in or they been inside?

Keep it up

Comment

Super cool thread

Comment

Here is a picture from the side view last year and again from yesterday. We have had about 15" of rain in the past month and there is still alot of water in the field along with the tank being full.

The second picture is after the pond was dug out, the gray mound is all clay and behind it is a second mound of top soil. Both mounds are twice as high as the D7 that was used to make the pond. The brush pile is my burn pile and was pushed out with the dozer. I'm so glad I had a mulcher go in and clear everything first, it really saved time with the dozer and there was very little left to burn.
                      Attached Files

Comment

Looking Great!

Comment

The brush has really grown over the past month, everything is blooming and you can see atleast 8" of new growth on just about everything. I'm starting to get alot of whitebrush in a certain area that I'm happy about. I drove by looking for a texas persimmon that is easy to walk to and pick fruit from but I didnt notice it, I was afraid the wind might have broken it. I got out of my truck and walked up to it and realized that it was so weighted down with green fruit that it was having a hard time standing straight.

I took a picture of the new growth on one of the Bur oak trees that I planted, it has over 8" of new growth this month from all the rain. I took a vertical picture of it, but its a pain in the ACC to post those on this website. It was a $29 tree from HEB last year and is over 6' now. Its doing the best out of that group

I also got water in the other pond I had dug, it will be interesting to see how long it holds. At some point I will have a poly line ran back here to always keep it full. I also plan on planting about a dozen bigger trees around it this fall.

The last picture is the bigger pond. The red lines are where I'm going to plant some bigger shade trees, either some oak or pecans. I would love to put some cotton willows over here but they are hard to find in south Texas. The blue circle are some hackberrys that I had the dozer guy leave, they have doubled in size it seems.

With all this rain my only regret this year is not planting all the big trees. The only reason I didnt is because I needed a backhoe to dig all the holes and I never got around to finding somebody to do that. But over the next 2 years I will plant about 40 trees that are atleast 95 gallons in size when they go in.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Here are some of the luckiest crawfish in south Texas, I bought 130 pounds of crawfish today to turn loose in the big pond tomorrow. This is one cooler of what I got and there are some big ones in the group. Since I'm planning on draining the pond and making it deeper this winter, I dont know how many of these things will survive. I'm hoping once the water gets emptied and sits for a while before the dozer comes in, they will dig deep into the mud and/or into the banks. I plan on doing this every year from here on out once we get some fish put in.

For a more important question, I was wondering if any of ya'll know what kind of "snail" this is? There are alot of them in the bags of crawfish. They floated up to the top once I put water in the ice chest. I'm wondering if they are good or bad and if I need to dig them all out before I dump the crawfish into the pond?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by MAP View Post
                              Here are some of the luckiest crawfish in south Texas, I bought 130 pounds of crawfish today to turn loose in the big pond tomorrow. This is one cooler of what I got and there are some big ones in the group. Since I'm planning on draining the pond and making it deeper this winter, I dont know how many of these things will survive. I'm hoping once the water gets emptied and sits for a while before the dozer comes in, they will dig deep into the mud and/or into the banks. I plan on doing this every year from here on out once we get some fish put in.

For a more important question, I was wondering if any of ya'll know what kind of "snail" this is? There are alot of them in the bags of crawfish. They floated up to the top once I put water in the ice chest. I'm wondering if they are good or bad and if I need to dig them all out before I dump the crawfish into the pond?
                              I noticed the same thing when I bought a sack today at fiesta mart in dallas. I poured the sack on dry ground so I could sort them out from the dead ones before I put the live ones in the pond. Lots of the same snails as in your pic. I left them on dry ground and they baked out in the hot sun

Comment

I noticed the same thing when I bought a sack today at fiesta mart in dallas. I poured the sack on dry ground so I could sort them out from the dead ones before I put the live ones in the pond. Lots of the same snails as in your pic. I left them on dry ground and they baked out in the hot sun
                                I just responded to my other post about these things and they are called "Marsh ram horns" which makes sense because they do look like little ram horns. After doing a google search, its a good thing you culled them out of the sacks. I will be doing the same thing tomorrow. I bought these in Corpus at a seafood place but I bet they come from the same area, I've never seen them in other sacks I've bought to boil.

Comment

Working...
                                X