2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
    You're more than welcome, but as a good friend of mine once said... Unless you have boobs or kids we don't do bait. ( Mayhem)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
      Crab are in their happy place; buried up in the mud, when the water temp gets below 45’ crab go into a state of “atrophy “. Crab will be ok !
      Thanks for asking
      Glad to hear that. Wasn't sure how they survived.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
        You're more than welcome, but as a good friend of mine once said... Unless you have boobs or kids we don't do bait. ( Mayhem)
        No worries there, I'm too broke and hard headed to buy bait anyway!

Comment

Originally posted by mayhem View Post

sent from my iphone using tapatalk
          lol!!

Comment

Originally posted by bboswell View Post
            You could not legally catch 15 trout in 2012.
            You are correct. It was 10... When I had my boat before they bumped down to 5 per person we'd always go out and looking for 30 keepers (3 man limit). Last year it was only 2 of us in the boat 90% of the time, but I kept that 30 fish limit in my head I guess. lol I've gotten to where I don't hardly care to keep them anymore. You can catch them a whole lot faster than you can eat them if the fishing is good.

Comment

Originally posted by Leemo View Post
              Crab are in their happy place; buried up in the mud, when the water temp gets below 45’ crab go into a state of “atrophy “. Crab will be ok !
              Thanks for asking
              Curious...Anybody know anyone who's ever gone out there and dug any up in the winter?

Comment

Glenn said it well.

The pics I've seen while crappy, they aren't anything like I saw with my own eyes in the last freeze kill

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Man View Post
                  Curious...Anybody know anyone who's ever gone out there and dug any up in the winter?
                  Crabbers use to pull rakes(light oyster dredges) in Chesapeake Bay in the winter months, I think it’s outlawed now

Comment

As Glen has posted, it's WAY too early to know what the damage to the trout/red fishery is and this immediate talk of catch and release and "reduce limits" is also WAY too premature... The point made my Mexico about they take away and NEVER give back is well made and FACT. I fished about 3 to 4 days a week pre '83 freeze and TPWD at first restricted folks from picking up the dead/dying fish off the shoreline to their daily bag limits, so tons and tons of fish went to waste but by George they weren't gonna be keeping too many fish... Now how dang stupid was that... In the '89 freeze the TPWD agreed to allow folks to take as many fish as they wanted for a certain number of days, but they couldn't have any nets or fishing gear other than containers to hold the fish they picked up... The TPWD issued "emergency reductions in the limit on specks from 20/day to 10 only to give the fishery a chance to recover... Many guides jumped on this band wagon and so the snowball started... That emergency reduction was never reversed, nor will it ever be... Now this past year, against the direct recommendations of the TPWD biologists, the commission reduced the limit again down to 5 for the whole Texas coast all the while the biologists were saying there was no need to do so, that the fishery was stable...

There was a time when the TPWD Commission made decisions based on the best welfare of the resources and on promoting more fishing/hunting days and opportunities for more people... Those days are long gone with the jackwagons we have there now. They make decisions that are strictly political... and socially popular... I'm with Shane (Mexico) on this one, and with Glen that whatever may happen, there's not enough data available to make ANY moves yet.

Comment

Just curious how do the flounder do In this

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

Majority of them are in the gulf making babies. Hopefully this cold weather will allow them to have a great spawn.

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post

Pretty good since most of them are out in the gulf during the winter.

Comment

2021 Salty H20 Fishing Thread!

Jet Black and I just got back from East Matagorda. We put in at the harbor and ran down to Gulf Cut and went West, running near the shoreline almost the entire way. We ran all the way West and then ran the South shoreline almost to Brown Cedar, then cut across to the North shoreline, East of Live Oak. Then ran around Bird Island and throughout Live Oak and then across Boggy and followed the North shoreline and back though Gulf Cut. Basically we ran the entire shoreline of East Matagorda.

We didn’t see the first dead fish until we got to Cain Cove, one trout around 20”. Then we saw one at the Farm and then two on the North shoreline East of Live Oak and then several in Live Oak.

In total we saw maybe 30 dead fish; trout, reds and black drum. We picked up 17 fish over 25”, largest being 31”. Three or four big uglies, one was alive that we pulled out to deeper water before we released him. And one dead turtle.

We were either early before the bulk of the dead fish start floating or we got lucky. I guess we’ll know which one within the week as the water warms.

Water temps were 40 to 49.

Last edited by JES; 02-19-2021, 08:44 PM.

Comment

THANKS for the report JES!

Comment

Nice report. We should be heading down tomorrow to check and see if our pipes busted at camp and check on thinks. Pretty sure the 4 wheeler has straight water innthe radiator but the trucks should be good there. Any issues with fuel down there? I'll need gas for the boat and diesel to get back home.

Comment

Working...
                                X