Shotgun for duck hunting question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is a Fixed IC/Mod OU shotgun useful for a duck hunter? It does take 3” shells.

My BIL is wanting an OU shotgun and I have a nice, older Browning Citori that I will give to him if he can use it.

He hunts ducks maybe 2-3 times a year in Southern Arkansas (rice fields / flooded timber).

He usually dove hunts opening weekend and maybe a round or two of sporting clays every year…..I know it would be a good gun for that.

Duck hunting with a Citori sounds like it should be a criminal offense to me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Choke would work for decoying birds for sure. But, I’m not sure I could take a really nice over and under duck hunting. I’d rather buy a Benelli super nova pump to beat all to hell knowing it will handle all the abuse and then some

Last edited by DapperDan; 11-28-2021, 05:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mayhem View Post
        Duck hunting with a Citori sounds like it should be a criminal offense to me.

You sure need to make sure your spelling is correct or this could go south

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Snowflake Killa View Post
          You sure need to make sure your spelling is correct or this could go south

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Please correct me sir, by all means.

Comment

I have a Tristar Hunter model 12 ga O/U with synthetic camo stock that I might sell or trade. It has several screw in chokes, shoots 3" shells, and 28" barrels. Much better than dragging a Citori through the marsh. Save it for upland hunts.

Comment

Depends, if he is a country club hunter and just goes on guided and club hunts and doesn't have to do any of the dirty work than it will work fine as he likely won't beat it up.

If he is a public land hunter than its a gun that will get beat up fast. If he is OK with doing that to a citori than thats his call.

Comment

Gun is choked perfect for duck hunting.

Comment

Sounds like a great gun provided the barrels aren’t really short. And I agree, it’ll probably get beat up and he’ll need to stay on top of cleaning it religiously.

Comment

Thanks guys. He’s a Country Club hunter - he does have an 870 express he can use for rough conditions.

Comment

I wouldn't slog one through the salt marsh, but hunting out of a boat or taco stand I'd smoke the heck out of the ducks with it.

Comment

Chokes are erect for duck or dove but will be a handicap for clays

Comment

Originally posted by DapperDan View Post
                          Choke would work for decoying birds for sure. But, I’m not sure I could take a really nice over and under duck hunting. I’d rather buy a Benelli super nova pump to beat all to hell knowing it will handle all the abuse and then some

Guided Arkansas hunts aren’t the same as public land salt marsh hunts

Comment

I've known a few who have duck hunted with a Citori. That IC/Mod will work perfectly.

Comment

OP, how about a trade?

I'll take the Browning OU and you can have my Baikal MP 153 semi-auto with interchangeable chokes for your BIL?

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qt1QV3DFUrQ"]Baikal MP 153 - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Working...
                              X