Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is the day lease dying?

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
    I think the point is solid in theory but you can go to any auctions at all you’ll see the price of livestock has actually gone down . I guess this is due to supply being more available . You can get Axis does for $150 and don’t even mention WT breeder bucks they are a dime a dozen . Do y’all remember when 200” typical deer was the holy grail ? You could not buy one if you traded your soul now you can buy them on every corner. I think Buff nailed it .. business entertainment sustained it ...it was a write off so people were apt to jump on board.

I don’t know where they are selling axis does for $150 cause I’m getting on average over $400 each axis doe that I sell

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post
      I don’t know where they are selling axis does for $150 cause I’m getting on average over $400 each axis doe that I sell

I agree that is a hec of a price if so, we sell a few WT doe hunts each year and have a tough time at 200 ea. I have lots of people interested but few takers usually. We sell about what we need to though.

Comment

Originally posted by BDKeeling View Post

Junction auction house is a good place to go look and bid . At $400 there’s no money to be made on your deer . I didn’t say you could pick up them up all the time for that but there’s plenty opportunity for you if you shop around .

Comment

I’m not buying, I’m catching and selling heavy bred axis does for up to $600 per head, average is $475

Comment

Originally posted by Hydestik View Post
            I think the point is solid in theory but you can go to any auctions at all you’ll see the price of livestock has actually gone down . I guess this is due to supply being more available . You can get Axis does for $150 and don’t even mention WT breeder bucks they are a dime a dozen . Do y’all remember when 200” typical deer was the holy grail ? You could not buy one if you traded your soul now you can buy them on every corner. I think Buff nailed it .. business entertainment sustained it ...it was a write off so people were apt to jump on board.
            All the does I see are more along the $300-400 range. Prices are up in my opinion.

Comment

Check out the price of Fallow bucks at the auctions. 3 yr olds going for $2,000 then you have to raise them for 2 more years before they are of harvest age. 5yr olds up to 5k. All the Axis does i saw at the auction are going for $400+. Not every day lease operates on hunters not shooting animals. Mine doesn't. I want 100% opportunity and hopefully 100% success, clean, quality accommendations and a good experiance for my clients.

Comment

Originally posted by stick_string View Post
                I guess I am going to have the slightly different opinion then the rest. I live in Colorado, I get a mule deer tag every 4 years, and an Elk tag every 3 years. I enjoy chasing exotic animals. I save money and enjoy the hunting I can find...as it comes. Day leases are a great option for guys like me that want to hunt but live in a state that does not support the resident hunters.

That’s on you.

You have the option to hunt elk, bears, turkey, and deer if you play your cards right every year. Hell, you can get 2-3 elk tags a year if you want too.

Comment

Yeah, that doesn't make any sense to me. There are many places in Colorado for an OTC tag. Tags aren't expensive for a resident. I believe some mule deer places you are guaranteed to draw with 0 preference points. Subscribe to Gohunt.com and check out the information for yourself. Definitely can hunt more frequent than every 4 years for a mule deer. Definitely can hunt elk every year in several units

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                    That’s on you.

You have the option to hunt elk, bears, turkey, and deer if you play your cards right every year. Hell, you can get 2-3 elk tags a year if you want too.

Wow, 2-3 elk tags a year? I have lived here for years and despite working with Colorado Fish and Game on our private ranch that is the first I have ever heard of that.

Yes, you can get an OTC tag for an elk. Colorado regulates elk harvest rates and keeps the success rate at around 12%. Mule deer are all draw with tags being awarded on average every 4 years. Elk tags in decent units are draw only and are awarded roughly every 3 years.

My only point was if you want to shoot your bow at big game more then once a year, day leases are a good option. I do recognize you cant fill your walls with trophies in one year due to price...but planned and prepared for they can provide good options.

Comment

There's OTC ES tags, B tags(cow tags), and the LO system.

Easy to draw deer in plenty of units.

Bears.

Turkeys.

Just because you aren't capitalizing on the opportunities doesn't mean they aren't there.

Comment

Straight out of the rules booklet.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by stick_string View Post
                          Wow, 2-3 elk tags a year? I have lived here for years and despite working with Colorado Fish and Game on our private ranch that is the first I have ever heard of that.

Yes, you can get an OTC tag for an elk. Colorado regulates elk harvest rates and keeps the success rate at around 12%. Mule deer are all draw with tags being awarded on average every 4 years. Elk tags in decent units are draw only and are awarded roughly every 3 years.

My only point was if you want to shoot your bow at big game more then once a year, day leases are a good option. I do recognize you cant fill your walls with trophies in one year due to price...but planned and prepared for they can provide good options.
                          Only posting this to help you out with more chances to hunt as we all enjoy it and want to take every opportunity we can to do so.

Our group has hunted the same unit in Colorado, Unit Twenty seven, for over 20 years, knock on wood there has not been a year where everyone that put in for a deer tag didn’t get drawn. There has been a lot of bucks we’ve killed over 180” on public land in the same NF, BLM land.

Comment

A lot of them just got to Greedy

Comment

Originally posted by quackadikt View Post
                              Straight out of the rules booklet.
                              Thank you sir.

Comment

I’m around day leases more I guess. If anything I would think they would be growing to be more common. Why spend $3k plus on a lease when you can get you a awesome whitetail with great odds for the same money. Leases are out pricing the common man so day leases are becoming the go to. (Personal opinion)

Comment

Working...
                                X