Need some idea's...... squirrel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
    I forgot to add that one. Fried squirrel in wing sauce is pretty durn good.
    How do you tenderize them first without smashing the bones to pieces? Squirrels are tough.

Comment

Originally posted by Cooper View Post
      I have to say.....squirrel and dumplings has to be my favorite!!!
      Absolutely.

Comment

I posted this on another thread but think it’s worth mentioning again here. I came across a recipe a while back on Hank Shaw’s food blog for Braised Aurora(?) Squirrel (or something like that). It was while I was going through my “recipes from Spain featuring green olives” phase because we love green olives at my house.

Anyway, the article addressed the issues related to tenderization and small bones by discussing the benefits of braising. In spite of it’s name, the recipe looked fairly simple with the addition of green olives increasing the exoticness factor.

Ultimately, I ended up making a similar dish using pheasant. If you like green olives and have access to a Central Market or Whole Foods, I recommend trying Cipolline olives. They are slightly less briny and have a smooth, buttery flavor that’s delicious. If not, any old green olive will do.

If you end up giving this a try, I’d love to have your thoughts on how it turned out.

Comment

I like to make squirrel and dirty rice. I take the easy route and buy the Zatterans (misspelled I am sure) box. Add seared squirrel meat. Great to go meal. In the stand, work or on the road.

Comment

Buddy of mine makes gumbo with them.

Comment

Last night I did the Mississippi Pot Roast l, squirrel edition. Man, it was good.

Comment

Clean and quarter a squirrel, bake with cream of mushroom soup. When done feed it to your dog and go get a Whataburger for youself.

Comment

Originally posted by Low Fence View Post
                  Buddy of mine makes gumbo with them.
                  Squirrel, tasso, and andouille gumbo.

Comment

Deep fry a few squirrels quartered up and place on a rack. After all pieces have been cooked pour off most of the oil and make a brown gravy in the same pan with the remainder of oil. Season the gravy to taste and add squirrel and gravy and some chopped onion to the oven @ 350 and smother for about an hour covered. Meat should be falling off the bone by then. Pour gravy over rice or mashed potatoes.

Comment

Working...
                    X