Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-13-2021, 09:23 AM   #1
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.
Question Ever heard of this?

My son took a DOT physical yesterday for a new job. Besides failing the eye test, they told him he needed a sleep study for apnea. He was told because his neck is over 17 inches, the sleep study is required. What does your neck size have to do with it?
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:28 AM   #2
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

17" girth? or length?
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #3
cj_sandman
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

Larger neck size indicates more tissue around your airway and could make it harder for air to pass through
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:29 AM   #4
Bucknaked
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lavaca , Edwards & Gillespie counties

It has to be new! It hasn’t been that way!
Bucknaked is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:30 AM   #5
txchuck
Six Point

Girth, and yes that's a sleep apnea risk factor. This is a big deal in trucking now.
txchuck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:31 AM   #6
oktx
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise County

Yup. Had a guy at work that was told the same thing. They don’t want you asleep at the wheel.
oktx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #7
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Seems like common sense. Fatter/bigger neck= likely heavier individual. Which means higher chance of being overweight, which also means higher likelihood of having sleep apnea or underlying conditions which can cause issues driving/being sedentary
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:32 AM   #8
rsquared
Ten Point

Hunt In: Junction

this is purely a guess on my part, but

probably DOT statistics show that the majority of people with a 17" circumference neck are leaning toward the obese category and more likely to suffer from sleep apnea and thus a higher likelihood of either having a worklplace accident or having higher rates of absenteeism or medical claims.
rsquared is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:06 AM   #9
TMC50
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Whereever I can

This is the first I have heard. Guess Ill see what the doc says when I go in june to get mine.

And sounds like I will be needing a test. My neck has been over 17 since about 6th grade.
TMC50 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #10
ladrones
Pope & Young

For sleep apnea. I wonder if the DOT will ever require a standardized physical fitness test for licensure?
ladrones is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:12 AM   #11
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC50 View Post
This is the first I have heard. Guess Ill see what the doc says when I go in june to get mine.

And sounds like I will be needing a test. My neck has been over 17 since about 6th grade.
I've been over 17 inches since HS that I know of. But I've been on CPAP for over 20yrs also. I've just never heard of this before. Thanks guys.
Old 04-13-2021, 10:17 AM   #12
Mayhem
Pope & Young

Hunt In: crockett, county

Yes I have. They are getting really strict with the DOT physicals.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Mayhem is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:23 AM   #13
1riot1ranger
Ten Point

Hunt In: Gillespie County

I was sedated for a procedure recently and the nurse mentioned I was a risk for sleep apnea. I asked what she meant and she said neck size. First I heard of that too.
1riot1ranger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 10:48 AM   #14
Katsaregood
Six Point

Man thatís unsettling. Iíve been over 17 also since HS and I wasnít overweight. Extremely physically active in sports and exercise routine. My dad was a body builder. Iíll be needing a CDL soon.
Katsaregood is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 11:10 AM   #15
tazhunter0
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Anywhere I can!!!

Been that away for some time. 3 of the drivers I work with have to get a sleep study every year. They go to the company doctor. I pay for my own D.O.T physical every year because I take mine on a Saturday morning. Haven’t had to take a sleep study ever, never even been asked about getting one.
tazhunter0 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 11:12 AM   #16
MLAH
Six Point

Sleep apnea Is a real issue with some folks. And a C-Pap helps one get a restful nights sleep and DOT is definitely cracking down on the CDL holders. I don’t understand the reason why someone fights the use of a C-Pap they work why not use them. Maybe someone has a good reason not to use a medical devise to get a good restful nights sleep.
MLAH is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 02:12 PM   #17
Fishndude
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mason, Ellis and Dimmit counties

This better be a grandfathered in type of deal or we gonna lose a lot of truckers.
Fishndude is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 02:18 PM   #18
Shane
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Mismatched camo

Fat in the neck can cause your airway to become obstructed when you're asleep and all the muscles relax.
Shane is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 02:38 PM   #19
jerp
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Shackleford Co.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TMC50 View Post
17" girth? or length?
A neck 17" long - that would earn you some unfortunate nicknames!
jerp is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 02:47 PM   #20
Davoh
Ten Point

Hunt In: In my imagination...

I just got my first DOT physical, and was worried about that. I'm 6'2", 400 lbs, but they didn't so much as measure my neck or even ask me how I slept. Guess I slipped through...
Davoh is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 04:30 PM   #21
Pat Miller
Eight Point

The sleep apnea thing with the physical as a "requirement" is a myth.
No where in the DOT regs is it stated that a sleep test must be taken...I emphasize NO WHERE.
It is an extra money making sideline for the companies that give DOT physicals as a downstream product from an in-advertant comment made about 10 years ago by some dufus in congress or the dot that the up tick in truck wrecks was being caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel, a by product of sleep apnea or driving too many hours per regulations.........the end result was that now drivers have electronically mandated log tracking and ...............some other idiot decided to make the statement about requiring sleep apnea studies included with a physical.
NO RULES OR LAWS have been passed requiring it. The transportation department even sent out notifications to all licensed medical facilities stating that but they saw an opportunity and took it and ran with it anyway as a tool to MAKE MORE MONEY.
Sleep studies aren't cheap and neither are sleep apnea machines and supplies. And they're all tied in together. And any HR people for a transportation company that says ''it's the law", doesn't know the law or hiring practices well enough of the DOT to have that job.
And that's all I have to say about that...........
Pat Miller is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 04:34 PM   #22
Pat Miller
Eight Point

One last thing......if you're DOT PHYSICAL provider says you have to take it, the only reason you do is if you're at your company provided facility and they're paying for it.
There are providers who don't ''require'' you to take it and I suggest you find one and use them.
Old 04-13-2021, 04:52 PM   #23
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davoh View Post
I just got my first DOT physical, and was worried about that. I'm 6'2", 400 lbs, but they didn't so much as measure my neck or even ask me how I slept. Guess I slipped through...
No one wants to fight a 6'2 400 lbs person.
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 07:07 PM   #24
kry226
Ten Point

Hunt In: Hall County

I'm 5'9", 175 lbs. Not exactly a chunky guy.

In 2016, I went to our clinic for lower back pain. While the PA was chatting with me, he asked if I snored. I told him that my wife had said that I had begun to snore more since I returned from Afghanistan earlier that year. He left the room saying he'd be right back.

He comes back a minute later with a tape measure, measures my neck, then inputs the measurement into an app on his phone.

I'm like, what the heck is he doing? Just help me with my back pain.

The app then tells him that I am a high risk for sleep apnea. Next thing he says is that he's referring me for a sleep study.

Study found moderate sleep apnea with 25.9 "events" per hour. And now I have a CPAP.

Somehow, the neck measurement can at least sometimes indicate potential sleep apnea.
kry226 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 07:24 PM   #25
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Miller View Post
The sleep apnea thing with the physical as a "requirement" is a myth.
No where in the DOT regs is it stated that a sleep test must be taken...I emphasize NO WHERE.
It is an extra money making sideline for the companies that give DOT physicals as a downstream product from an in-advertant comment made about 10 years ago by some dufus in congress or the dot that the up tick in truck wrecks was being caused by drivers falling asleep at the wheel, a by product of sleep apnea or driving too many hours per regulations.........the end result was that now drivers have electronically mandated log tracking and ...............some other idiot decided to make the statement about requiring sleep apnea studies included with a physical.
NO RULES OR LAWS have been passed requiring it. The transportation department even sent out notifications to all licensed medical facilities stating that but they saw an opportunity and took it and ran with it anyway as a tool to MAKE MORE MONEY.
Sleep studies aren't cheap and neither are sleep apnea machines and supplies. And they're all tied in together. And any HR people for a transportation company that says ''it's the law", doesn't know the law or hiring practices well enough of the DOT to have that job.
And that's all I have to say about that...........
This may all be true, I have no idea. What I do know though, and very well, is that sleep apnea can easily cause you to go to sleep behind the wheel and wreck yourself or someone else. I know this because I had some very close calls before I knew that I had it some 25 years ago. So maybe a test should be mandatory to get a cdl.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 07:40 PM   #26
Pat Miller
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
This may all be true, I have no idea. What I do know though, and very well, is that sleep apnea can easily cause you to go to sleep behind the wheel and wreck yourself or someone else. I know this because I had some very close calls before I knew that I had it some 25 years ago. So maybe a test should be mandatory to get a cdl.
What the transportation industry doesn't need is more asinine government
oversight.
If you have a problem with falling asleep while driving then maybe thats a job you shouldn't do but to be mandated to take the test because you snore? Give me a break.
Old 04-13-2021, 07:50 PM   #27
Duckologist
Ten Point

My sleep Dr. said 3 main things are typically the cause of apnea. I only remember 2 of them and 1 was a big neck, he measured mine, and the other is what I have which is a small airway

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Duckologist is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-13-2021, 09:11 PM   #28
LFD2037
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Over yonder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lee View Post
No one wants to fight a 6'2 400 lbs person.
I will. Should be pretty easy after about 30 seconds of me bouncing around.
LFD2037 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-14-2021, 06:17 AM   #29
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pat Miller View Post
One last thing......if you're DOT PHYSICAL provider says you have to take it, the only reason you do is if you're at your company provided facility and they're paying for it.
There are providers who don't ''require'' you to take it and I suggest you find one and use them.
Yeah, one of the other drivers goes to a non-company doc. CJ has an appointment with them today.
Old 04-14-2021, 07:23 AM   #30
cva34
Ten Point

Hunt In: LOOKING

I have heard of it...being a flag......BUT!!! mines over 20" and no prob...My son is 16" and he's got SA and has to use machine just a little over 50 and been on machine about 10y
cva34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top