2021 Gardening Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Cardinal View Post
    Anyone have advice or input on trellis netting rather than the cattle panels?

Out of cattle panels at the moment, and have 100 feet of cucumbers and 100 feet of green beans planned. The Trellis netting is a lot cheaper but wasnt sure of a particular brand or material one may suggest.

Any advice on tomatillos? I assumed similar to tomatoes, have about 25 really nice plants I started this winter I'm ready to get in the ground...

I use this to cover my chicken run, but it last. I think it's UV resistant. Seems like you could reuse it multiple years. To me be more cost effective if you didn't want to spend the $$ on cattle panels.

Comment

Yep

Originally posted by El General View Post
      I have never pruned blooms, but I do prune limbs especially when they are small.
      Prune the low limbs and pick all the suckers off till there about 3' foot tall then let them go. I all ways put about a 1/2 cup of fertilizer about 8" below each plant when planting and when they start taking they will shoot up.

Comment

Tilled.

Tilled up a "square" for squash and zucchini, plus several rows for okra. Grandkids tend it. I do it down in the pasture just to give them an excuse to go play, lol.

Prob throw some melons and lopes out too!
        Click image for larger version

Name:	20210325_125454.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	73.7 KB
ID:	24646497

Comment

We have dodged all the major thunder/wind storms so far! Praise God!! Got 2 perfect rains after planting and everything is looking real healthy... Watching for the corn n peas to erupt any day now. Got the Benelli ready by the back door for the dang crows... They always hit the corn, peas n okra soon as it starts coming up... they pull up the plant and get the kernel off of it... If I can catch 'em when they first come in and blast a few of 'em, that usually keeps them away until the corn gets big enough they can't hurt it... They don't like to see their buddies hangin' on the fence...

Real late with taters... couldn't find any "seed taters" so made my own out of a couple sacks of red russetts from HEB... chitting them now. Hope to get them in the ground Saturday... Fingers crossed and asked the Lord as nicely as I know how to hold off on the rain just a bit more...

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
            We have dodged all the major thunder/wind storms so far! Praise God!! Got 2 perfect rains after planting and everything is looking real healthy... Watching for the corn n peas to erupt any day now. Got the Benelli ready by the back door for the dang crows... They always hit the corn, peas n okra soon as it starts coming up... they pull up the plant and get the kernel off of it... If I can catch 'em when they first come in and blast a few of 'em, that usually keeps them away until the corn gets big enough they can't hurt it... They don't like to see their buddies hangin' on the fence...

Real late with taters... couldn't find any "seed taters" so made my own out of a couple sacks of red russetts from HEB... chitting them now. Hope to get them in the ground Saturday... Fingers crossed and asked the Lord as nicely as I know how to hold off on the rain just a bit more...

I tried store bought potatoes a few times. Never did very well. Recently I read they are sprayed with a sprout preventative to keep them from growing sprouts on the shelf. Also seems they rot easier because the skin isn’t thick like a seed potato.

Comment

Back in the day....

Originally posted by ShoootLow View Post
              I tried store bought potatoes a few times. Never did very well. Recently I read they are sprayed with a sprout preventative to keep them from growing sprouts on the shelf. Also seems they rot easier because the skin isn’t thick like a seed potato.

When i's a kid we used store bought taters. Worked great! But they prob didnt have the sprout killing juice 40 yrs ago!

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

Slick, where you at? Southwest Fertilizer in Houston had seed potatoes when I was in there last weekend.

Comment

Hey Slick, my grandma told me years ago, kill a crow and hang it in your garden. Then they will leave it alone. Happened to me and I did just that and worked like a charm.
                  On the taters, you may be to late. Supposed to plant those on Valentine’s Day.

Comment

Anyone use hoss tools wheel hoe or any other tools? I’m considering getting one. I recently installed their drip irrigation system and it’s been good so far.

They seem to have loads of knowledge and post a lot of YouTube videos to watch and learn.

Hope everyone’s garden is doing well. We had .5” of rain overnight.

I had to replant a lot due to very poor germination.

Comment

Didn't know about the anti-eye juice!! Dang it!! And y'all may be right... too late. I have always planted taters on Valentine's day too. I've had these taters sitting in a window in the sun with a damp blanket under them for a week and I don't see any evidence of eye production... Guess we may just have to eat 'em...

I may still give Southwest Feed/Fertilizer a shout and see if they have any seed taters... My bride sure wants to plant some taters... Heck, if she gets one, that'll be good...

Regarding the crows, I did that last time I had corn... Caught them walking down the rows pulling up the sprout to get the corn kernel on the end... Was three of them. None made it out the garden fence. I hung them on the fence and no more crow problems... In my walk around yesterday evening, I noticed quite a few sprouts both corn and purple hull peas, so hoping the dang crows don't clean me out while I'm at work... Will be on crow watch this afternoon tho soon as I can get home... Gonna go to Tractor Supply this weekend and get me a bunch of cattle panels to my trellising and building tomato cages... Maters, squash, cukes, peppers all looking real good... Okra only has a couple sprouts up so far...

Comment

Does anyone know a good way to kill ants in a raised bed, have a pretty good mound popped up. I dont feel comfortable putting ant killer in there with the vegatables.

Comment

Originally posted by BLACKFINTURKEY View Post
                          Anyone use hoss tools wheel hoe or any other tools? I’m considering getting one. I recently installed their drip irrigation system and it’s been good so far.

They seem to have loads of knowledge and post a lot of YouTube videos to watch and learn.

Hope everyone’s garden is doing well. We had .5” of rain overnight.

I had to replant a lot due to very poor germination.

I use their double wheel hoe and it works great. My big garden is on drip and fertilizer injection which has helped tremendously in our sandy soil.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Cullbuck View Post
                            Does anyone know a good way to kill ants in a raised bed, have a pretty good mound popped up. I dont feel comfortable putting ant killer in there with the vegatables.

I follow the “dirt doctor’s” advice on ants around the garden. It is fully organic, safe to be around edible foods, and will kill a mound in a heartbeat if you do it right.

Natural Organic Gardening and Living information, advice and recommendations.

Comment

Originally posted by Cullbuck View Post
                              Diatomaceous Earth works fairly well as long as it doesn't get wet.

Comment

Originally posted by IkemanTX View Post
                                I follow the “dirt doctor’s” advice on ants around the garden. It is fully organic, safe to be around edible foods, and will kill a mound in a heartbeat if you do it right.

Natural Organic Gardening and Living information, advice and recommendations.

Thanks ill check it out.

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
                                Diatomaceous Earth works fairly well as long as it doesn't get wet.
                                Thanks, I saw that when i googled but it rains pretty much everyday where im at. Still may give it a shot.

Comment

Working...
                                X