Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Awesome stuff! Congrats man.

Comment

I don't understand why tpwd wants to take off all the exotics. A 120 in whitetail is all they can grow there. Want to turn it back to original grass and do what. Watch the grass grow. I don't quite understand the tpwd goal.

Comment

Congrats on the trophy!!!

Comment

That was a toad of a Sambar and it was good meeting you and your group out there.

It was an awesome hunt but as has been said I don’t think it will be the same hunt 5 years from now.

Comment

Anyone know the estimated number of Sambar on the Powderhorn?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

I estimate between 4-4,444^

Comment

As far as numbers I have heard some estimates, that when TPWD purchased the property which is 17000 acres 3 years ago, there were about 800 Sambar on the property. Now I have no idea how they did the survey, but I can say for sure that there is no possible way to see into the brush. If they counted 800 then there are another 200 they did not see. They have run hunts for three years and this year they killed about 75 through all the hunts. They are trapping and selling animals as well, so I am guessing the population is getting knocked down pretty good. I saw a total of 5 sambar. One cow with the stag I shot, one other small stag, and two spikes. I think there were 17 hunters, and 15 got sambar. 13 stags and 2 cows. I feel like there are quite a few still on the property, but at this rate they are knocking the population down fairly quickly.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                  I don't understand why tpwd wants to take off all the exotics. A 120 in whitetail is all they can grow there. Want to turn it back to original grass and do what. Watch the grass grow. I don't quite understand the tpwd goal.
                  TPWD's goal isn't to grow big deer. And while one of their goals is to encourage hunting, they aren't going to encourage the expansion of non-native species that will adversely affect native flora and fauna. Just my opinion, and I'm somebody who selfishly loves hunting exotics and having them around.

Comment

Seems like TPWD is always crying about a lack of funding well wiping out the Sambar wont help. The word is out around the entire country about the Powderhorn. I can only imagine the about of money and applications this place brings in for next years hunt.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-J327A using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                    X