Live Oak Trimming

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Live Oak Trimming

Wife wants our live oaks to someday resemble the nice big old suckers like the ones downtown. Would y’all pay an arborist to trim or start hacking away yourself? Our trees are still fairly young but I’m told the earlier the better for this type of thing.

If not, any recommend strategy???

Pretty easy to trim them up yourself, but if it were me I wouldnt do any major trimming/pruning right now. I do all mine in January/February.

Comment

that's when I do all of ours too

Comment

I have two that needed pruning in order to make them look more like you are going for. I cleaned all the trash limbs & suckers out of the middle of the tree and left the big cutting to an arborist. It wasn't that expensive and I'd do it again in a heartbeat. They also gave me all kinds of advice on care of the trees long term while they were there. Worth it.

Comment

You can trim in the heat of the summer also, but use some pruning spray. Just do not cover the entire wound.

Comment

Originally posted by Ishi&Elvis View Post
            You can trim in the heat of the summer also, but use some pruning spray. Just do not cover the entire wound.
            This. The arborist told me they do substantial live oak trimming year round and healthy trees do fine as long as proper "wound care" practices are followed.

Comment

Originally posted by riverbowman View Post
              This. The arborist told me they do substantial live oak trimming year round and healthy trees do fine as long as proper "wound care" practices are followed.

Yep, I’ve been reading oak wilt is most present during Spring and Summer months and the spray actually inhibits healing.

If anyone has a good link to help guide pruning of these trees it would be much appreciated.

Comment

If anyone has a recommendation of an arborist south of dfw it would be appreciated.

Comment

Working...
                X