Testing a Few Fishing Kayaks - Bonafide SS127

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Testing a Few Fishing Kayaks - Bonafide SS127

I've had an opportunity to test paddle a few kayaks, recently, and I'm going to review a few on the YouTube channel. I want to start doing more inshore kayak fishing trips and vids, in addition to the overnight river trips we typically do in the spring and summer, and wanted to test a few different boats. I was able to borrow and paddle Les' Jackson Coosa HD (coming soon) and Cady's Bonafide SS127, which is highlighted in this video.

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rugdMghdA1w"]Bonafide SS127 Fishing Kayak - Still Worth Buying in 2021? - YouTube[/ame]

What kayak do you recommend for inshore fishing, that will also still paddle well on Texas rivers?
    My Flickr Photos

Tagged for later. Always good videos .

Comment

Wife has the bonadide aka Bertha.

Paddles like a barge but very stable and one can easily stand up and fish from it. My son even drifted the white river and fly fished from it.

She bought it when they claimed a peddle drive was gonna be an option. Thats now off the table. I will say customer service with them is good as well

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Nice review.
        My kayak doesn't track well at all. In fact it fish tails while paddling. I got a rudder to install in hopes that will work well. The fish tailing wastes a lot of physical energy to the trip.
        My main complaint is drifting with the wind. I have to anchor up if on fish. And sometimes the wind swings me to an odd angle.
        As you said, the fish may not like the noise of paddling to hold position.
        Admittedly, I'm a rookie with a Perception Pescador 100. It has virtually no keel at all.
        Last edited by Bluesman; 06-03-2021, 08:53 AM.

Comment

You forgot to mention what color they are offered in.

Comment

I have a couple of paddle kayaks that I use for running baits for surf fishing. I want to use them for marsh fishing but am really considering a peddle kayak for that. I watch alot of youtube and the peddle yaks seem to be the way to go in the marsh.

Comment

I paddle a Wilderness Systems Radar 115 and really like it but I will also say I don't have a ton of experience paddling other kayaks.
              Mine is very stable, tracks well and the seat is phenomenal.
              I look forward to your reviews.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Look at Hoodoo kayaks out of Cypress. They're really nicely built and far less expensive than most of the name brand kayaks.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                  I paddle a Wilderness Systems Radar 115 and really like it but I will also say I don't have a ton of experience paddling other kayaks.
                  Mine is very stable, tracks well and the seat is phenomenal.
                  I look forward to your reviews.
                  Mary and I both have Radar 115s and I agree with your statements, including the part about not having a lot of experience in other kayaks. We were going to get Michael to test drive ours too and post up a review.

Pretty sure a peddle drive is available for ours too.

Comment

Originally posted by Bluesman View Post
                    My main complaint is drifting with the wind. I have to anchor up if on fish. And sometimes the wind swings me to an odd angle.

Originally posted by bigdawg View Post
                    I have a couple of paddle kayaks that I use for running baits for surf fishing. I want to use them for marsh fishing but am really considering a peddle kayak for that. I watch alot of youtube and the peddle yaks seem to be the way to go in the marsh.

Peddle drive kayaks (especially the Hobie with Mirage Drive) seem to be the most popular for inshore fishing...at least on YouTube. Most kayaks will drift in the wind and the peddle drives can help keep position while you fish. It also makes covering long distances less taxing. However, it’s not currently in my budget to spend $3000+ on a kayak. I know there are some cheaper peddle drives, but they lack other features that I think are necessary. For now, I’m hoping an anchor pin (or regular anchor) will suffice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                    My Flickr Photos

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                      Mary and I both have Radar 115s and I agree with your statements, including the part about not having a lot of experience in other kayaks. We were going to get Michael to test drive ours too and post up a review.
                      There is a peddle drive and a motor drive available for our Radar 115s. Kinda spendy though.

Comment

I don't think a peddle drive will work in the marsh I fish. I have had days where the tide dropped low enough I drug bottom getting out of the lakes I was in

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by TX_Kevin View Post
                          There is a peddle drive and a motor drive available for our Radar 115s. Kinda spendy though.
                          You are right on the spendy part, Kevin. I would like to have the peddle drive but for $1300 or so dollars for the drive and rudder, I can paddle just fine. If yak fishing was my passion it would be one thing but up here in Wyoming, I recreational kayak more than I fish out of it.

Comment

Originally posted by WyoBull View Post
                            You are right on the spendy part, Kevin. I would like to have the peddle drive but for $1300 or so dollars for the drive and rudder, I can paddle just fine. If yak fishing was my passion it would be one thing but up here in Wyoming, I recreational kayak more than I fish out of it.
                            Here ya go.

Hoodoo Sports offers high-quality sit-on-top fishing kayaks at affordable prices. We offer home delivery shipping, so you can purchase your kayak directly from us and have it delivered to your door.

Comment

I marsh fish a lot, I've been kayak fishing for about 20 years. I still do. The thing about the pedal drive is you need a foot and a half of water under you to use it. A kayak is a way to drop in a hard to get marsh, if it's a long distance your better off in a jon boat. And the kayaks now a days are very heavy and expensive. There's no perfect boat or kayak. Make sure you get one that's good for what you want to do.

Comment

Working...
                              X