264 win mag vs. 6.5-284? What to build

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

264 win mag vs. 6.5-284? What to build

It's down to the brass racks. I have the Mcmillan stock. Lilja 1:8 twist spiral fluted 4 contour barrel, Stliler Predator action, Calvin elite trigger, HS precision detachable magazine bottom metal, 20 moa rail, and Swarovski 4x14x50 in 30mm tube with the ballistic lines. Now, which caliber do I build? Had my heart set on 6.5-284 but some folks now pushing 264 win mag. Who has both. Accuracy is my main concern, ut I have thousands of acres accessable to me and I shoot a lot of stuff a long way off.
    What says the GS

I got my 6.5 creedmoor in a savage long range hunter. Love it. Just not a fan of belted mags. I'd go with a 6.5 creedmoor if barrel life is a worry or 6.5x284 if barrel life isn't an issue since it's easier to reload without the belt

Comment

Thanks. I guess with a .338 Lapua, 300 RUM, and 224 TTH, and a half dozen others, none of which are true hunting weight rifles, I was a little disappointed in the case capacity of the 6.5-284 brass that I ordered the other day and wondered whether or not I was building a rifle I wouldn't think carried enough punch

Comment

Fan of the .264 although I do not own one. Wish I did. Watched a buddy of mine kill a doe in her tracks at almost 600yds with one.

Comment

They have been taking African plains game with the Creedmoor. you have to remember the BC and sectional density of the 6.5 bullet is so high you get away with less but get more.

The creedmoor surpasses or equals a 300 win mag trajectory and penetrates like crazy.

Again so far thats just my idea i was in the same exact boat as you wanting a 6.5 cal and decided on the creedmoor.

Comment

I have a 6.5x.284 and I think it's a excellent all around caliber. Get a 140 grain berger running 3000 fps and there ain't much it won't do.

Comment

Thanks for the input. Keep it coming

Comment

just decide if you want a long or short action for weight, both are great,, neither super easy to get brass or ammo for.... for me I would go 6.5x284

Comment

You already have an action so what bolt face diameter is it? Because the 264 is a .540 and the 6.5-284 is a .470

Comment

Originally posted by scott.str View Post
                    They have been taking African plains game with the Creedmoor. you have to remember the BC and sectional density of the 6.5 bullet is so high you get away with less but get more.

The creedmoor surpasses or equals a 300 win mag trajectory and penetrates like crazy.

Again so far thats just my idea i was in the same exact boat as you wanting a 6.5 cal and decided on the creedmoor.
                    The 6.5-284 is equal to a 300 win mag. My 300 win running 185 berger is neck and neck with my 6.5-284 running 140 bergers. The creedmoor is slower. I vote the 6.5-284. Mine is a beast. But the 264 is no slouch. Again, check the bolt face diameter as that will make a difference.

Comment

I am researching for the same gun, I reload and if you compare the 6.5-284 isn't really that far behind the 264. I like the fact it gets it done with less powder. I was comparing the 284, the 6.5-06, the Creedmore and the 260.. I keep leaning to the 6.5-284. I have a friend with one and his shoots a dime size group at 200..
                      Last edited by bowmedic; 03-18-2015, 11:07 PM.

Comment

You should build the 264 then buy that sweet 6.5-284 that closetohome was selling!

Comment

Originally posted by bowmedic View Post
                          I am researching for the same gun, I reload and if you compare the 6.5-284 isn't really that far behind the 264. I like the fact it gets it done with less powder. I was comparing the 284, the 6.5-06, the Creedmore and the 260.. I keep leaning to the 6.5-284. I have a friend with one and his shoots a dime size group at 200..
                          This, the 6.5x284 shoots lights out and is a great 1000 yard gun with plenty of punch. And the recoil is lighter than the 264. Make sure you go with long action so you can set the burgers out and they fit in your mag.

Comment

Hard choice. I had a 6.5X284 when it was still a wildcat. Great shooting gun. I always wanted a 264 Win Mag though.

Comment

I don't know about the other one but I have a pre '64 win model 70 in 264 mag and it is a great shooting gun.

-john

Comment

Working...
                              X